• Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

My Chargers-Seahawks review

just watched the game again on dvr.

Offense:

QBs:

- Rivers didnt mess around in the pocket. he made quick decisions.

- Whitehurst was garbage.

- Sorensen was better than Whitehurst which confirms what I saw in practice. Kept eyes downfield and didn't let the pressure bother him. Could push jesus for a spot if he keeps it up

RBs:

- Mathews looked fast and quick and more confident. Also made a nice block in pass pro.

- Fozzy ran hard but I don't think he's good enough to stick in the league. This years Brinkley

- Hill dropped a pass but also showed more agility than Fozzy. His line did him zero favors. Would like to see him get snaps earlier in the game next time.

- Didn't notice McClain. Not sure what his role is or if he even makes the team.

WRs:

- Allen might not be fast but he is quick. Beat winfield early on but winfield grabbed him and the refs missed it. Would of had a huge play if Whitehurst had any accuracy. Burned Thurman bad on that play

- Meachem runs ugly routes and has zero aggressiveness when the ball is in the air. Let's himself get abused physically. Shouldnt make the team but he will

- DePalma was alright. Might be some insurance for Royal on the practice squad. Tasker seemed a bit quicker than him though.

- Willie is big and physical and even blocked well. Wish he could make it over Meachem. If the team carries six, he's my favorite.

- Goodman looks slower than last year. It's safe to cut him.

TEs:

- Gates ain't done yet

- Phillips is the prototypical #2 TE. Doesn't stand out but does his job. blocks and can catch.

- Green is smooth. Should get involved more with the Alexander injury.

OL:

- Dunlap was surprisingly very good in pass protection. Kind of reminded me of McNeill. Run blocking wise it was interesting. They didn't really make him block anyone. Just seal the edge. Doubt we will be seeing him pull or anything. Playing to his strengths, I like it.

- Starks clear downgrade from Dunlap. Looked average. For a backup, he's OK but that starting job is Dunlaps.

- Rinehart was solid both in pass pro and run blocking. Solid, underrated pickup here.

- Clary looked good and I hate Clary with every fiber in my body.

- Fluker was as advertised. Speed gives him trouble but once he locks on it's over and he's dominant in the run game. On the 4th down play he cleared out the entire right side of the line.

- Troutman stood out to me. When I watched the game live, his penalties were discouraging but I made sure to pay attention to him on the replay and wow is he nasty in the run game. his pass blocking was ok, missed a few but he is a difference maker in the run game. Even his cut block penalty or whatever was him just being aggressive. I can live with it. He also showed better awareness than I would of thought from such a twitter doofus. It's hard for a guy with two penalties to be the most impressive player on the line but troutman was fucking impressive.

- The rest were terrible. Mike Harris is better at right tackle than he was at left tackle but not by much. I saw him trip over himself on a play late in the first half. So embarrassing. Becton was better than Harris. I'd put Becton the practice squad because he has some tools to work with. The sack he gave up was on Whitehurst for holding onto the ball.

DEFENSE

DL:

- Liuget and Reyes were both active. Both are special athletes.

- Thomas looked like a starting NT. Made numerous stuffs. Just needs to do that every week.

- Freeney looks like he's got something to prove. Seemed like he was bringing pressure on every pass play

- Scafe was impressive. Baby Spanos was kind of talking him up at one of the training camp practices and he showed why. Thought he shed blocks well.

- Geathers was my player of the game. Consistently collapsed the pocket. Put the center on his ass at around the 8 minute mark in the 2nd quarter. Beautiful. Also if he's active on gamedays he's going to block a field goal this year.

- Wynn missed a tackle and allowed a TD but brought some pressure. Looks to be more of a pass rusher than a run stuffer.

- Jerideau and Harrell both sucked. Couldn't seperate from blocks.

LB:

- Too small of a sample size but Te'o diagnosis plays quickly. I didn't really see him struggle to get off blocks as some other guy said but didn't make any plays either.

- English was solid, best pass rusher behind Freeney. He looked faster than I remember.

- Tourek was active and made a couple nice plays in the run game. His pass rushing isn't there yet however.

- Beltre is a physical player. Good burst off the line. I wonder how he would do at MLB though because he does seem on the smaller side for an OLB

- Thought DJ Smith was better than both Gachkar and Bird.

CB:

- Wright plays A LOT bigger than his listed height. I think it's his arms but he plays like he's 6'3. Same with Cox.

- Steve Williams was the best corner tonight hands down. Fast and quick. Seems perfect for the slot.

- Josh Johnson, Brown and the rest all looked like shit.

S:

- Weddle was Weddle.

- Stuckey looked lost in coverage. First TD was on him.

- Cattouse showed good open field tackling and was around the ball a lot. Looked better than Stuckey and Addae

top 3 players: geathers, sorensen, steve williams (troutman would of been on here if not for the penalties)
    Last edited by Antonio's Gates; 08-09-2013, 12:31 AM.
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Here's 1 review

Seahawks 31, Chargers 10

Philip Rivers had a miserable 2012 campaign, but if his performance against the Seahawks is any indication - and it must be noted that it's a small sample size - then he has a chance of rebounding this season. Rivers played just one series, but was extremely sharp, going 5-of-6 for 45 yards. His sole incompletion was thrown away. It's also worth noting that Rivers didn't have Danny Woodhead at his disposal, so he was missing his top receiving option coming out of the backfield.

Here were Rivers' targets:

Keenan Allen: 1
    Malcom Floyd: 2 (1 end zone)
    Antonio Gates: 1
    John Phillips: 1
    Eddie Royal: 1

Keenan Allen caught two balls for 13 yards. Not included in this stat line is the fact that he blew by Seattle corner Walter Thurmond in the second quarter and was wide open, but Charlie Whitehurst overthrew him. Allen reportedly has had an up-and-down training camp, but he appears to be ahead of Robert Meachem, who ran a wrong route at the end of the first quarter. Meachem didn't log a single reception.

Ryan Mathews actually looked pretty good in his preseason debut. With the offensive line blowing open quality holes, Mathews gained 19 yards on three carries. His most eventful attempt was a 9-yard burst on a 4th-and-1 in which he leapt over the pile and had the awareness to get up because he knew he wasn't touched. Mathews still should be avoided because he's terribly fragile, but he'll get a stock-up arrow because of how well the front line blocked.

Fifth-round rookie cornerback Steve Williams had a solid debut. He had perfect coverage and made a nice break-up on a deep route in the second quarter.

Russell Wilson posted an ugly stat line, but he didn't play as poorly as the numbers indicate. He went 2-of-6 for 23 yards, but one pass was thrown away because of pressure. Another was dropped by Jermaine Kearse. Wilson also displayed his trademark scrambling ability on two occasions. He looked dead to rights on both instances, but he spun out of multiple tackles and managed to pick up yardage.

Wilson's pass protection was a big issue; he barely had time to do anything. It'll be better when Marshawn Lynch and Sidney Rice are back in the lineup, but it's still a concern.

Here were Wilson's targets:

Doug Baldwin: 1
    Jermaine Kearse: 2
    Golden Tate: 1
    Luke Willson: 1

No Marshawn Lynch or Robert Turbin, so Christine Michael handled most of the workload. He gained 89 yards on 16 carries, as he did a good job of pushing the pile and carrying defenders. His longest run was for 24 yards in which he made a defender (William Middleton) miss in the open field. Michael continuously kept barking at Pete Carroll, yelling "feed me!" He was impressive, but won't be a factor this year unless Lynch goes down.

Backup quarterback discussion time: Seattle's Brady Quinn was his usual, skittish self (6-of-11, 59 yards, TD), but San Diego's Charlie Whitehurst was way worse. He went 7-of-15 for 59 yards and two ugly picks. As for the No. 3s, the Seahawks' Tarvaris Jackson was the top reserve signal-caller. He went 8-of-9 for 128 yards and two touchdowns. He threw two beautiful bombs to Stephen Williams for 42 and 41 yards. The former was good for a score. Meanwhile, Brad Sorsensen was also better than his No. 2. He navigated the pocket well and stepped into his throws. He finished 7-of-10 for 84 yards and a touchdown.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

I didn't get to see any of the starters. (thanks nfl network)

But from the reserves play that I saw, I'd agree with Antonio's Gates.

I kinda liked Troutman... really didn't even care that much about the chop block penalty...he was doing whatever it took to protect his qb.

Cattouse I thought was impressive...definite possibility as the 5th safety. I remember him from preseason last year and he is much improved.

I liked both Williams... Tourek and Steve looked like guys who can play.

Sorensen looked good. He looked polished out there. (as polished as a 7th round pick running with 3rd teamers can look)

Molk did not look good. Actually all the interior linemen backups besides troutman looked pretty bad. Mike Harris is terrible at right tackle. And he was starting at left tackle last year.

Keenan Allen looks very smooth, and I liked what I saw from Ladarius Green.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

agree on molk. not very impressive.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
          just watched the game again on dvr.

Offense:

QBs:

- Rivers didnt mess around in the pocket. he made quick decisions.

- Whitehurst was garbage.

- Sorensen was better than Whitehurst which confirms what I saw in practice. Kept eyes downfield and didn't let the pressure bother him. Could push jesus for a spot if he keeps it up

RBs:

- Mathews looked fast and quick and more confident. Also made a nice block in pass pro.

- Fozzy ran hard but I don't think he's good enough to stick in the league. This years Brinkley

- Hill dropped a pass but also showed more agility than Fozzy. His line did him zero favors. Would like to see him get snaps earlier in the game next time.

- Didn't notice McClain. Not sure what his role is or if he even makes the team.

WRs:

- Allen might not be fast but he is quick. Beat winfield early on but winfield grabbed him and the refs missed it. Would of had a huge play if Whitehurst had any accuracy. Burned Thurman bad on that play

- Meachem runs ugly routes and has zero aggressiveness when the ball is in the air. Let's himself get abused physically. Shouldnt make the team but he will

- DePalma was alright. Might be some insurance for Royal on the practice squad. Tasker seemed a bit quicker than him though.

- Willie is big and physical and even blocked well. Wish he could make it over Meachem. If the team carries six, he's my favorite.

- Goodman looks slower than last year. It's safe to cut him.

TEs:

- Gates ain't done yet

- Phillips is the prototypical #2 TE. Doesn't stand out but does his job. blocks and can catch.

- Green is smooth. Should get involved more with the Alexander injury.

OL:

- Dunlap was surprisingly very good in pass protection. Kind of reminded me of McNeill. Run blocking wise it was interesting. They didn't really make him block anyone. Just seal the edge. Doubt we will be seeing him pull or anything. Playing to his strengths, I like it.

- Starks clear downgrade from Dunlap. Looked average. For a backup, he's OK but that starting job is Dunlaps.

- Rinehart was solid both in pass pro and run blocking. Solid, underrated pickup here.

- Clary looked good and I hate Clary with every fiber in my body.

- Fluker was as advertised. Speed gives him trouble but once he locks on it's over and he's dominant in the run game. On the 4th down play he cleared out the entire right side of the line.

- Troutman stood out to me. When I watched the game live, his penalties were discouraging but I made sure to pay attention to him on the replay and wow is he nasty in the run game. his pass blocking was ok, missed a few but he is a difference maker in the run game. Even his cut block penalty or whatever was him just being aggressive. I can live with it. He also showed better awareness than I would of thought from such a twitter doofus. It's hard for a guy with two penalties to be the most impressive player on the line but troutman was fucking impressive.

- The rest were terrible. Mike Harris is better at right tackle than he was at left tackle but not by much. I saw him trip over himself on a play late in the first half. So embarrassing. Becton was better than Harris. I'd put Becton the practice squad because he has some tools to work with. The sack he gave up was on Whitehurst for holding onto the ball.

DEFENSE

DL:

- Liuget and Reyes were both active. Both are special athletes.

- Thomas looked like a starting NT. Made numerous stuffs. Just needs to do that every week.

- Freeney looks like he's got something to prove. Seemed like he was bringing pressure on every pass play

- Scafe was impressive. Baby Spanos was kind of talking him up at one of the training camp practices and he showed why. Thought he shed blocks well.

- Geathers was my player of the game. Consistently collapsed the pocket. Put the center on his ass at around the 8 minute mark in the 2nd quarter. Beautiful. Also if he's active on gamedays he's going to block a field goal this year.

- Wynn missed a tackle and allowed a TD but brought some pressure. Looks to be more of a pass rusher than a run stuffer.

- Jerideau and Harrell both sucked. Couldn't seperate from blocks.

LB:

- Too small of a sample size but Te'o diagnosis plays quickly. I didn't really see him struggle to get off blocks as some other guy said but didn't make any plays either.

- English was solid, best pass rusher behind Freeney. He looked faster than I remember.

- Tourek was active and made a couple nice plays in the run game. His pass rushing isn't there yet however.

- Beltre is a physical player. Good burst off the line. I wonder how he would do at MLB though because he does seem on the smaller side for an OLB

- Thought DJ Smith was better than both Gachkar and Bird.

CB:

- Wright plays A LOT bigger than his listed height. I think it's his arms but he plays like he's 6'3. Same with Cox.

- Steve Williams was the best corner tonight hands down. Fast and quick. Seems perfect for the slot.

- Josh Johnson, Brown and the rest all looked like shit.

S:

- Weddle was Weddle.

- Stuckey looked lost in coverage. First TD was on him.

- Cattouse showed good open field tackling and was around the ball a lot. Looked better than Stuckey and Addae

top 3 players: geathers, sorensen, steve williams (troutman would of been on here if not for the penalties)
          Rep.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Charged up
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

My quick assessment:

1st team offense looked good. PR has a lot of weapons at his disposal. Encouraging start for RM, we need him to take the next step. With the exception of Meachem I like our WR corps. I think we'll be fine although I'm still a little worried about the run game.

I love watching Weddle. He is a master at his craft. Freeney is a beast. What a huge upgrade from philips, I am so glad he's here. I hope he rubs off on(mentors) some of our young guys. English even showed some burst. I sooooo wish Ingram was in the mix. Both corners locked up well and looked good overall. Te'o got trucked his 1st run play. I think he'll be fine. Butler was invisible. I'm a little leery of SS. Is Stucky the starter? Has he improved and earned that spot?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Goodman not so good? Glad he didnt get extended!

Go Rivers!

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                Molk did not look good. Actually all the interior linemen backups besides troutman looked pretty bad. Mike Harris is terrible at right tackle. And he was starting at left tackle last year.
                This. When you consider that Harris started at LT last year and he is on the fringe of not making the club this year, I think it is pretty hard to argue that the line hasn't been upgraded, albeit not to the extent everyone would like.

Those interior guys after the starters were just getting blowed the f up.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged up View Post
                  English even showed some burst.
                  Always has when healthy. Problem is he never is. And when he is, he isn't a closer.

I sooooo wish Ingram was in the mix.
                  Devastating loss, not just in terms of our defense but in terms of his development. Real bummer.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Coverage team play was terrible. Hopefully just first game jitters with new people being tried out and a little confusion with large numbers rotating. If not, made my stomach hurt like the lost Crosby season.

Comment

• Mr. Ray Dehaiter
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Clipboard Jesus needs to go. I have never understood the why he has stuck around in the NFL despite being mediocre at best. I'm not as down on Starks as most are. I thought he played pretty well for the most part. I would like to find a way to keep Depalma and Tasker and dump Meachump. The guy is absolutely an embarrassment.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Good to see you Ray!

Bring back Cleo Lemon!
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X