• richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Chargers' Dunlap quietly 'awesome'

Chargers' Dunlap quietly 'awesome'
    By Michael Gehlken5 A.M.DEC. 19, 2014

It is a compliment to King Dunlap, really.

The left tackle position was a San Diego talking point for years, from the day Marcus McNeill was done to the Rise And Fall of Jared Gaither to the hodgepodge of inexperienced linemen thrown together to protect quarterback Philip Rivers' blind spot.

Few talk about Dunlap today.

Few so much as notice him.

"I prefer it that way," Dunlap said. "For us, if they're calling your name, it's usually for something wrong. If they're saying nothing about you, it's probably a good thing."

The Chargers will meet the 49ers on Saturday night, edge rusher Aldon Smith leading the San Francisco defensive front. San Diego has seen its share of top pass rushers in 2014. Dunlap, playing in the final season of a two-year contract, largely has held his own.

Fifteen players have more than nine sacks this year.

Of them, the Chargers have encountered 10.

But Dunlap has allowed just three sacks all season, according to Pro Football Focus, with none over the past five games. He's been flagged three times in 923 offensive snaps.

Rarely has his name been called.

"He's been awesome," Rivers said. "I wouldn't know what kind of credit he's getting on the outside. I know how much we appreciate him on the inside. To play left tackle against who we've gone against all year, he's playing awesome.

"A guy like that, left tackles aren't just walking around, a dime a dozen. Thank goodness we got him two years ago."

Dunlap came to San Diego quietly.

Little fanfare followed him from Philadelphia, where he made 19 starts in five years. Little fanfare followed him from Auburn, out of which the Eagles drafted the 6-foot-9 lineman with the 23rd pick in the 2007 seventh round, shouting distance of Mr. Irrelevant.

He is worth talking about now.

He'll be worth talking about later, as the Chargers navigate an offseason that figures to take a hard look at the personnel up front as one facet to a run game averaging a league-low 3.3 yards per carry. It's not long ago this organization looked for answers at left tackle, starting an undrafted rookie in the 2012 season opener.

Dunlap is making his case for future consideration.

As for that future, he's trying not to think about it.

The 29-year-old said that he is grateful for his health. Injuries have limited him in the past, including in 2013 when he missed five games largely due to multiple concussions.

He's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on March 10.

"I'm just trying to focus on the now," Dunlap said. "I know it's coming. ... Time's not going to move any faster or any slower. Just focus on the now and let the rest take care of itself. ... I'm still a work in progress. I'm not even close to being finished yet. I'm still working. "

Each year, players vote a teammate as their top offensive lineman.

Ballots have yet to be distributed, but a tour around his position room shows to what effect Dunlap is appreciated.

Few talk about Dunlap. Few notice Dunlap.

They do.

"Usually, for left tackles, you have to be making the big bucks to get your name noticed," guard Chad Rinehart said. "If you aren't, obviously, there's no statistics attached to it, so everyone looks at the guys making the most money and assumes they're the best player.

"Next year, I'm sure that will change a little bit."
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Pay the man.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Yay King. Sorry I doubted you when you were signed.

Chargers need to keep Dunlap and sign 4 other starting linemen.

Comment

• Screeme
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Feels like we have a LOT of money coming off the books this off season. (Gaither, Clary notably) hopefully we have some of this money earmarked for retaining Dunlap

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post

3 of our starters next year will be Dunlap (team will resign him), Watt and Fluker. Not sure about the other two or if Watt will be at center or guard.

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            3 of our starters next year will be Dunlap (team will resign him), Watt and Fluker. Not sure about the other two or if Watt will be at center or guard.
            Watt needs to improve before he can be a starter. Fluker either needs to improve or be moved to guard. If Watt and Fluker are starters next year and there isn't dramatic improvement, somebody in the front office needs to be fired.

The only current starter who has earned a starting position on the O'line is Dunlap.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

2 other. Fluker and Watt will settle down just nicely. Depending on whether Watt ends up at C (my guess) or G, we'll need to sign 2 Gs or a G and C.
              Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                2 other. Fluker and Watt will settle down just nicely. Depending on whether Watt ends up at C (my guess) or G, we'll need to sign 2 Gs or a G and C.
                What have Fluker and Watt done this year that makes you think they'll be good next year?

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

What have Fluker and Watt done this year that makes you think they'll be good next year?
                  Improved from one game to the next. Fluker still shows flashes. He owned Von Miller last week. They're inconsistent, but they are first- and second-year players. Growing pains are to be expected. They are smart, motivated players. Based on what we've seen and heard of their work ethic, I believe they'll do what's necessary to grow into their roles. Fluker was decent last season when he had Clary next to him. Stabilize RG and Fluker will be fine, and he will no doubt be fine either way with continued growth.

What makes you think they are busts, or that there will be anything better available in FA or on the team? Or that any draft pick will come in and not make the same young-player mistakes?
                  Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    Improved from one game to the next. Fluker still shows flashes. He owned Von Miller last week. They're inconsistent, but they are first- and second-year players. Growing pains are to be expected. They are smart, motivated players. Based on what we've seen and heard of their work ethic, I believe they'll do what's necessary to grow into their roles. Fluker was decent last season when he had Clary next to him. Stabilize RG and Fluker will be fine, and he will no doubt be fine either way with continued growth.

What makes you think they are busts, or that there will be anything better available in FA or on the team? Or that any draft pick will come in and not make the same young-player mistakes?
                    I wouldn't call them busts - it's too early.
                    But, right now, I don't want them as starters. Watt needs to go to the practice squad 'til he improves. Fluker, this year, is, at best, qualified to be a backup. Both could improve and become worthy starters, but that isn't something I just want to hope happens. We need to get some starters, and, if Watt and Fluker improve to the point that they'd do us good, then all the better.
                    Why do I feel that way?
                    I've been watching the Chargers play.
                    Last edited by thelightningwill; 12-19-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Fluker isn't going anywhere. Watt hopefully goes back to guard. I wish they would put Robinson back at center to get more of a look at him. He looked good in his very limited time. Maybe he can be a starter next year or at least compete for a starting spot.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Sun Valley, ID
                        • Send PM

I wouldn't call them busts - it's too early.
                        Watt needs to go to the practice squad 'til he improves.
                        Watt wouldn't last one day on the PS before some other team put him on their active roster. The OL arguably requires the most cohesiveness of any unit on a team. Losing Hardwick after the first game and Clary for the whole season hurt big time. Stability at center will make a huge difference, and a couple of guards with nasty attitudes will help too.

Comment

Working...
                        X