• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Another trait of a good leader of a coach is one who doesn't play favorites. Unfortunately, Lynn fails in this dept. Also, there was a quote by Lynn something to the effect that "players who mess up find themselves on special teams." This is a really negative way to go about things--punishing players by sending them to ST, and making ST's out to be some kind of prison. Kind of reminds me of how George Allen, coach of the Rams back in the day, would only let players get water if they performed up to his standards. No wonder the Bolts are in the midst of an epic fail...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Another trait of a good leader of a coach is one who doesn't play favorites. Unfortunately, Lynn fails in this dept. Also, there was a quote by Lynn something to the effect that "players who mess up find themselves on special teams." This is a really negative way to go about things--punishing players by sending them to ST, and making ST's out to be some kind of prison. Kind of reminds me of how George Allen, coach of the Rams back in the day, would only let players get water if they performed up to his standards. No wonder the Bolts are in the midst of an epic fail...
      I don't get why "teacher" isn't higher on the list. Thats what Coach Wooden referred to himself as - a teacher of basketball. I get the talent level UCLA had but I read Wooden hardly used time outs during games because practice was there for a reason - to teach the players and it couldn't be "taught" during a time out.

Many have said Belichick could coach every position on the field. Not expecting Lynn or anybody to be Hoodie but in this world of being "woke", social media, younger people , pyramids of success, mnotivational speakers - are they forgetting the main thing as a coach is. I just wonder. Maybe thats why I am so overly enamored with Marty - he was just a damn football coach. Sure he had the corny talks and what not but at his core, he taught his players to play the game better than the day before.

Just saw this from the Steelers game and Tomlin: "We make no excuses; we seek no comfort.." One of my favorite coaches. Owns it every damn week!! EVERY WEEK he looks in the mirror at himself.

Frustrated Mike Tomlin calls Pittsburgh Steelers' effort in matinee win 'really junior varsity' (espn.com)

Comment

• TTThunder
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

1. Maximize players ability (teach, scheme to strength & hide weakness, exploit opponent's weakness...)

2. Creativity (Have our special team tried anything than just punt?)

3. Aggressiveness (When was the last time our team won by a lots of points?)

4. Make all players / coaches accountable.

(Sorry, but I think Lynn failed all...)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post
          1. Maximize players ability (teach, scheme to strength & hide weakness, exploit opponent's weakness...)

2. Creativity (Have our special team tried anything than just punt?)

3. Aggressiveness (When was the last time our team won by a lots of points?)

4. Make all players / coaches accountable.

(Sorry, but I think Lynn failed all...)

Go Bolts!!!
          I read through all of the prior posts and was about to chime in with my on thoughts.

Then I saw this list. It's what I was going to post. So glad someone posted it, finally.

These are the four traits. Assuming most all of these guys KNOW football, then I want these four traits in my coach. I am sick and tired of conservative, scared turtles. I am so sick of a head coach that isn't PROACTIVELY and REACTIVELY creative. I'm tired of Vets getting to play because they're vets or coaches keeping their jobs because of "loyalty'.

This list is the one.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

The best trait? The ability to skip rope and chew on Bubblegum without choking on it! LOL! (Ability to multitask without melting down ala McCoy and Lynn)
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Caslon
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
              The ability to not run up the middle on 3rd and short for a 3 yard loss.
              The play calling eludes me at times. Lynn or the OC? Who called some of those plays? Seems like if it's the OC, he should go too.
              When dealing with this O-line, who can blame either (TT?)? Running tough short yardage is the only play that will work against defenses some games.
              Jackson is back along with Ekeler. Tired of seeing 1/2 yard runs on 3rd or 4th down and one yard.to go.
              Last edited by Caslon; 12-05-2020, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

glad to see that @least a coupla folks here have voiced there disfavor w/Ron Rivera, as some had claimed that everyone had been in favor of him when he was here, which is not as I recall ??

the below article gives credence to a vet coach who has his act together, and.... mentions an RB Antonio Gibson, that is a converted receiver from Memphis.

should we be giving Joe Reed a shot @RB ??

(eye think so....)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/washington-football-team-long-term-outlook
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Great head coaches don't compare the worst loss in franchise history to Pearl Harbor. Gym teachers do.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                    Great head coaches don't compare the worst loss in franchise history to Pearl Harbor. Gym teachers do.

That was an interesting comment from Lombardi - who said it back in the day Bill Walsh

I still think the top traits of a good head coach are
                    1) teaching the game to the players so they improve on a day to day week to week basis
                    2) putting together a game plan to beat your opponent and be willing to adjust the game plan as the game evolves

Comment

• Silversurfer
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Los Angeles
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

"Were not dead yet" Lynn

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

I don't mind thick hips, burnette........oops wrong chat.

For an NFL HC the #1 trait I'm looking for is the ability to sell your vision. How well does the team buy into your vision? #2 is the actual vision. #3 is is the vision to see talent where nobody sees it.

0*hG79LOc-qjgc4KrR.jpg

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                          I don't mind thick hips, burnette........oops wrong chat.

For an NFL HC the #1 trait I'm looking for is the ability to sell your vision. How well does the team buy into your vision? #2 is the actual vision. #3 is is the vision to see talent where nobody sees it.

0*hG79LOc-qjgc4KrR.jpg
                          How about hiring other coaches who are actually competent at their jobs. Could Lynn purposely kept Bradley on as defensive coordinator so he couldn't be replaced. Kept buddies on his staff that can't screw in a light bulb. I always thought of Lynn as a substitute teacher who was given the chance to lead a team while the Chargers built the stadium. Now that the stadium is built and he's a proven Incompetent the spanos need to re-evaluate the whole situation. No one will sign on with Lynn next year for a 1 year stint. The only Person I can think of is Sexy Rexy! Otherwise he's a dead duck anyways.

:cheers:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X