Ironman Philip Rivers - Is Rivers A Lock For The Hall?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargingBolts
    Superbowl?
    • Sep 2018
    • Los Angeles/Chicago
    • Send PM

Stafford to Rams for Goff and a bunch of picks, Rams gave up the future!!

Comment

• bartman83642
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Seems Rivers possibly being informed the team going in a mother direction is a puzzler in Indy.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/...rent-direction

Did QB Philip Rivers Retire Early Because He Was Informed the Colts Were Going in a Different Direction?

By Luke Schultheis Jan 27, 2021, 8:00am EST
      68 Comments Photo by Justin Casterline/Getty Images
      According to 107.5 The Fan’s Kevin Bowen, while not completely concrete, he has ‘heard additional information’ that the Indianapolis Colts informed veteran starter Philip Rivers that the franchise was going to go in a different direction this early offseason—which hastened Rivers’ retirement:
      “I guess this is our little bit of Philip Rivers info here,” Bowen said on 107.5 The Fan’s ‘Kevin’s Corner’. “You know when the whole Rivers retirement went down, and like I said, getting some crickets on trying to confirm things.”

“. . . Now, I’ve gone back and forth on this, Chris. Did Philip retire on his own? Or did the Colts tell him we’re going to go in a different direction? How do you want us to handle this? And does Philip say, ‘Oh wow, I guess I’ll retire on my own then.’ Because Philip made it very clear, either I play for the Colts, or I am done.”

“. . . And I’ve heard both sides of it. And I would say I have heard additional info on the Colts told Rivers they were going in a different direction.”

In support of their ‘going in a different direction theory’, Bowen and his co-host Chris presented some furthering factors:
      • Rivers getting emotional in his final Colts games but not to the point of indicating he was finally hanging up the football cleats for good (still having passion for the game and the ability to play starting NFL quarterback at a quality level for another season).
      • The lack of a formal retirement press conference when Rivers did retire (instead solely relying on the article by longtime writer Kevin Acee of The San Diego Union-Tribune to announce his farewell).
      • The fact that Rivers enrolled his kids in Indianapolis schools—with an eye towards playing longer than just a mere one-year stint for the Colts.

In particular, one compelling theory Bowen presented simply made sense, ‘the Ed Dodds, Detroit Lions theory’—regarding Colts assistant general manager Ed Dodds, who interviewed for the Lions general manager opening earlier this offseason:
      “... Basically, a couple of things stand out about it of, where would the Colts have confidence in telling Rivers they’re going in a different path? Trying to connect dots in all of this can be difficult, but I’m trying to.”

“Ed Dodds interviews with the Lions, right? [For their] opening at GM. Lions ownership was very open with their GM candidates of ‘Matthew Stafford is not going to be a part of the future here in Detroit.’ So, Ed Dodds knows that information. He interviewed. He obviously goes back to Indy and takes that information with him. So, now the Colts know that Matthew Stafford is available. This all happens before Philip Rivers decides to again, in quotes ‘retire’.”

“Do the Colts then sit there internally and say, ‘We’ve got a chance to go get Matthew Stafford. He’s going to be on the open market. We feel like that’s an upgrade over Philip Rivers. We need to tell Philip that we need to go in a different direction.’”

“Again is this stamped? Locked in? Set in stone? 100%? No, but with just the lack of information we’re getting on this, and the fact that Philip did not have a press conference to announce his retirement.”

Here’s the actual timeline of early offseason events too:
      In any case, there may definitely be some smoke here regarding the Colts being alerted of Stafford’s sudden availability this offseason, and Rivers being informed that the team was going to go in a different direction at starting quarterback in 2021 shortly thereafter—which led to Rivers’ ‘early retirement’.
      Lots of speculation and nothing concrete. Although it's possible I have my doubts that the Colt's would let Rivers go over a possibility of getting Stafford since they could easily do that after working out a deal for Stafford. Even more so however knowing that they wouldn't be the only team trying to get him and not being anything nearing a sure thing. Now if they just decided to move on from him regardless of getting a new QB through either a trade or draft would seem more likely.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
        Superbowl?
        • Sep 2018
        • Los Angeles/Chicago
        • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post

Lots of speculation and nothing concrete. Although it's possible I have my doubts that the Colt's would let Rivers go over a possibility of getting Stafford since they could easily do that after working out a deal for Stafford. Even more so however knowing that they wouldn't be the only team trying to get him and not being anything nearing a sure thing. Now if they just decided to move on from him regardless of getting a new QB through either a trade or draft would seem more likely.
        And Rivers did sign a 1 year deal, perhaps it was his idea the whole time, 17 seasons for #17.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
          Superbowl?
          • Sep 2018
          • Los Angeles/Chicago
          • Send PM

Listening to Rivers it sounds like it was Rivers decision

In his first interview since announcing his retirement, Philip Rivers sits down with Nick Hardwick to talk about his retirement, injuries, his future and his Career in the NFL.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Pretty certain Reich wanted him back.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

I listened to the first 45 min. That's a long one, but Phil said he was the one who decided it with his family and then told Reich and the GM.
              Little bit of a shocker but I guess it's time. If he plans to coach all his boys in HS football he may never take a broadcast gig or coach in the NFL.

His youngest Son is under 10. Probably 5 or around there. Too many to keep track of lol..if they all play football.
              Maybe some will not be athletes like the mom.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-04-2021, 07:24 AM.
              11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
              35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
              37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
              66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
              69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
              100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
              110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
              140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
              181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
              225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
              X