• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Diante Lee's very first PFF article, and a fantastic one at that.

ghost, this ties in with what we were discussing earlier.

Mix this with the Weekly Spiral takes, blend it up, and you got Staley magic.
    2020 Chargers defense w/ Gus Bradley, Cover-Three Shell 55.7%.

Tampa Bay played 89% Cover-Two Shell in second half of the Super Bowl. Was that the first game of Mahomes career he was kept out of the endzone the entire game?

Two months from the draft, my fan-boi for Staley is showing. These two print sources today, with Brandon Staley's podcast with Richard Sherman - digest all that dense and thick information, that Staley builds the defense from the secondary, and seeks his players input - this is the most progressive coach I've ever been exposed to, probably since Jimmy Johnson and his industrial psychology degree he earned at Arkansas.

Another point Staley made to Richard Sherman: 49ers' success in rushing with front four base. The 9ers had the formula, and were executing the secret - Getting pressure with base four, and making the offense come to them and drive the field.

Staley responds by pressuring QBs with both pre-snap & post-snap looks. And takes away the big play.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

He has not coached a single game, or to be honest, a single practice with the Chargers yet, and I LOVE this guy.

I'm hoping the ownership and the fan base are patient with him, especially if he gets off to a slow start.

This guy is exactly what you want in a Professional coach for the modern athlete.

So intelligent.

I'm hopeful he can be the Chargers Head Coach for a long time.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
        He has not coached a single game, or to be honest, a single practice with the Chargers yet, and I LOVE this guy.

I'm hoping the ownership and the fan base are patient with him, especially if he gets off to a slow start.

This guy is exactly what you want in a Professional coach for the modern athlete.

So intelligent.

I'm hopeful he can be the Chargers Head Coach for a long time.
        Be nice to have a HC that wins, leads us to SB Championships, and is here for 10+ years.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Post from November, Baldy is calling for Staley for Coach of the Year.

Tampa Bay was one of three teams that the Staley's Rams allowed to score more than 3 points in the second half, Tampa scored 10. Rams still beat them.

Rams v. Bears

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Brandon Staley on Justin Herbert's game, Derwin James and Jalen Ramsey, learning from Vic Fangio, plus bonus audio of Brandon and Richard before the pod and ...

This is definitely worth a watch.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Post from November, Baldy is calling for Staley for Coach of the Year.

Tampa Bay was one of three teams that the Staley's Rams allowed to score more than 3 points in the second half, Tampa scored 10. Rams still beat them.

Rams v. Bears
              The impressive amount of points allowed in the second half last season in games by Staley’s defense seems like such a far cry from Bradley’s defenses the last couple of seasons!

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

When looking at that film. You can certainly see opportunity for offense to make big plays if they were able to block it up front. In the chess match with Andy Reid. I would think Reid would have some plays where he shows something to get Staley to bite. But I also think he won't be able to fool Staley twice in a row. Staley will take notes right away and have a counter call and get Reid to bite and blow up his play.
                Battle of Reid vs Staley.
                One HC playcalling his O vs One HC playcalling his D.

Funny thing is. The Gus basic D works pretty good vs Reid offense as he doesn't have his players trying to outsmart Reid and get caught slipping with a bad call vs the O. He just says we will give you the short stuff and nothing else. We are keeping everything in front of us.

And in Superbowl Tampa Bay didnt do much of mixing anything up. They just said we are going to double Tyreek and keep everything in front of us. Travis Kelce had 10 for 133 but no TDs. Tyreek 7 for 73 but no TDs. The went light box and basically gave Reid the run and for whatever reason Andy would not go much more ground game and run them out of it. Clyde Edwards finished with 9 carries for 64 yards. And with all the mix and matching from a beat up and injured oline. Why go pass heavy vs a lot box against a good pass rush front 4? 49 throws by Mahomes? Reid just stubbornly stuck with the pass hoping Mahomes talent would carry him. For all his offensive genius. Reid failed that day.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                  The impressive amount of points allowed in the second half last season in games by Staley’s defense seems like such a far cry from Bradley’s defenses the last couple of seasons!
                  Yep...got the impression so many times that Gus was just mailing it in...very few or no adjustments...just showed up for his paycheck...looking forward to seeing the look on Chuckie's face the first time Bradley goes with the picket fence and gets gashed for a game-winning TD...

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    When looking at that film. You can certainly see opportunity for offense to make big plays if they were able to block it up front. In the chess match with Andy Reid. I would think Reid would have some plays where he shows something to get Staley to bite. But I also think he won't be able to fool Staley twice in a row. Staley will take notes right away and have a counter call and get Reid to bite and blow up his play.
                    Battle of Reid vs Staley.
                    One HC playcalling his O vs One HC playcalling his D.

Funny thing is. The Gus basic D works pretty good vs Reid offense as he doesn't have his players trying to outsmart Reid and get caught slipping with a bad call vs the O. He just says we will give you the short stuff and nothing else. We are keeping everything in front of us.

And in Superbowl Tampa Bay didnt do much of mixing anything up. They just said we are going to double Tyreek and keep everything in front of us. Travis Kelce had 10 for 133 but no TDs. Tyreek 7 for 73 but no TDs. The went light box and basically gave Reid the run and for whatever reason Andy would not go much more ground game and run them out of it. Clyde Edwards finished with 9 carries for 64 yards. And with all the mix and matching from a beat up and injured oline. Why go pass heavy vs a lot box against a good pass rush front 4? 49 throws by Mahomes? Reid just stubbornly stuck with the pass hoping Mahomes talent would carry him. For all his offensive genius. Reid failed that day.

My opinion is that many are hard on Gus, and to some degree I agree with some of the complaints, but Bradley’s defense did seem to match fairly well with certain offenses, especially Andy Reid’s for the most part. I think very rarely is there a scheme , or coach for that matter, that is bad 100% of the time. And conversely, it goes the other way also where rarely does a scheme matchup favorably in every way.

I am hopeful that Staley’s approach though, which appears to allow for quick adjustments throughout the game, has the defense playing much better in the second half of games more often than not.. if that makes any sense. It would be exceptionally nice to see improvement in 3rd down stops late in games when it matters most.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

My opinion is that many are hard on Gus, and to some degree I agree with some of the complaints, but Bradley’s defense did seem to match fairly well with certain offenses, especially Andy Reid’s for the most part. I think very rarely is there a scheme , or coach for that matter, that is bad 100% of the time. And conversely, it goes the other way also where rarely does a scheme matchup favorably in every way.

I am hopeful that Staley’s approach though, which appears to allow for quick adjustments throughout the game, has the defense playing much better in the second half of games more often than not.. if that makes any sense. It would be exceptionally nice to see improvement in 3rd down stops late in games when it matters most.
                      That what I'm hoping for.
                      Matchup vs the opponent like Andy Reid.
                      Keep everything in front of you is the basic game plan.
                      But using some confusing looks pre snap with post snap rotations. And then adjusting those looks and rotations so they struggle to figure out who is coming and who's going.
                      ​​​​​
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Baldy's Question

How did Brandon Staley know C would Jet protect to the right, leaving the formation open to an overload concept on the left side of the line? What was Whitehair's key? What was Whitehair's protection call?

Did Coach Staley know, by Bears' tendencies in an empty set, if Aaron Donald lined up in the C Gap, the Center rotates the protection side to the right side, to defend Donald?

Charger fans could read into this that they now have a coach that can win the down with his playcalling skill-set. Giggity.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

A lot of people thought this team's defense was a top 5 D in the league. They were sadly mistaken, it turns out to not be the case. Those who thought it was (with the roster going into 2020) were having too much of the Kool-Aid. Copping out to the injury excuses and blaming everything on Gus when things aren't going well. There were people who said this team had the talent to do well with James or Bosa out. But it's been proven how bad this team is without one of these two.

Gruden chose Gus to be the Raiders DC for a reason. It's not a coincidence being that they were in the same division and he took notes on what Bradley did well in order to improve against Mahomes and Reid. The talent issues on the roster did more to kill the defense than the scheme and play-calling. The team was so-so in coverage in the secondary and did not have enough pass rush up front. At the end of the day it's all about having the talent to succeed, and unfortunately the talent that the roster of this team's D boasted was overrated.

This is where Staley comes in. Staley needs to fix the weak areas that Bradley and Lynn had in place.

Comment

Working...
                          X