• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I thought i saw their front with 4 guys often and it was said he took Wades 3-4 but added his wrinkles to it. So its gonna be about personel for what we do most. I like it. Gus never adjusted a damn thing except adding more safeties LB types against Lamar.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

First, I think you need to review the definitions of "innuendo" and "hyperbole." Innuendo is defined as "a hint, insinuation or intimation about a person or thing, especially of a denigrating or a derogatory nature." Nothing I said falls into that category. Hyperbole is defined as "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." Nothing I said qualifies as hyperbole. I stated my opinion and outlined the reason for my opinion.

I think your response makes some clear assumptions about me. I was not a diehard Daboll fan or really a diehard fan of any candidates. I was relatively insouciant. I did want the best candidate and they did not pick the best candidate for this team. I'm not the only one saying it either. Could I be proven wrong? I have said already I hope so.
      Fifth, his experience is lacking. Really lacking. I listened to interviews and read articles before the hiring and here is now a head coach whose biggest draw of experience is his time coaching a Division III school? Ponder that for a minute. And, no, the McVay or Tomlin examples are inappropriate. McVay had been a coach in the NFL since he was 23. Staley is truly a one year NFL wonder. Hal Mumme must be wondering why he never became a head coach in the NFL, if this is all the experience needed.
      Plenty of borderline hyperbole and innuendo in just this excerpt.

As to your point here, I question how Staley is apparently a one-year wonder, but doesn't compare to Tomlin. You do know Tomlin was a one-year DC for the Vikings and was a position coach for just 2 more years in the NFL than Staley before becoming head coach of the Steelers? Not sure why the comparison is inappropriate here.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
        I thought about this a bit last night, and I think the hire is actually worse than I originally thought.

First, analysts smarter than me at CBS graded the hire a C. Prior to the head coach hiring season, ESPN noted Staley's fit with the chargers was a B to C. ESPN this morning graded the hire a B minus and a C. No, this was not a home run hire by the analysts.

Second, in typical Spanos fashion -- and I see it echoed in the responses here about "finally a defensive coach" -- they decided to go in and do the exact opposite they did for years. They hired offensive coordinators for HC positions because of Rivers. It made sense: you build around Rivers and maximize the offense. What does this say that with Herbert, they decide to go with a DC, and worse, a DC with truly no high level experience? Herbert, being Herbert, will be ho-hum about it. But it truly doesn't make sense.

Third, you pick a coach based on the team's strengths. The team's strengths are offense. It is Allen, Ekeler, Herbert, etc. Here, they ignore that.

Fourth, this means Telesco and company punt on the offensive line. I mean, based on the logic I've read here, the offense has no changes needed because it averaged adequate yards and points. The draft, due to Staley's needs will be defense based. We saw how FA and trades to resolve the OL worked out last year; it didn't. Trai Turner and Bryan Bulaga both had awful PFF grades. When Storm Norton is your highest graded OL, there are concerns there. This is a subtle point, but this again is not a benefit for Herbert.

Fifth, his experience is lacking. Really lacking. I listened to interviews and read articles before the hiring and here is now a head coach whose biggest draw of experience is his time coaching a Division III school? Ponder that for a minute. And, no, the McVay or Tomlin examples are inappropriate. McVay had been a coach in the NFL since he was 23. Staley is truly a one year NFL wonder. Hal Mumme must be wondering why he never became a head coach in the NFL, if this is all the experience needed.

Sixth, and Chris Sims noted this hiring sets Herbert up to have multiple coordinators over Staley's tenure. Assume that Hamilton becomes the OC. If Herbert continues to develop and produce, then Hamilton is hired as a HC. Gone is the offensive system run by Hamilton. Gone then is the offensive "brain." Reid in KC ensures that Mahomes will perform at a high level no matter what happens with his OC or offensive staff: Reid will always remain. The Chargers just set themselves up that if Herbert maintains a high level of play, they simply lose the OC or offensive coaches and Staley with his DIII DC background is not the offensive mind like Reid that overcomes those losses. As Sims noted, it isn't a wise, long term plan, assuming Herbert's sustained performance is a high priority.

Seventh, and I said this earlier, but Staley's lack of NFL experience means he really lacks the contacts to build a great staff. The names being bandied for this staff should not inspire much confidence. We will see, but if his staff is lacking, then it again indicates a breakdown in how Spanos and Telesco interview HC candidates.

Eighth, he hasn't been in the NFL long enough to know if he has the core organizational and general "HC" running a team qualities a coach needs. His acumen as a DC only goes so far. The mistake is that fans often associate a hire with "fixing" a certain side of the ball. A hire should be made based on Xs and Os and organizational acumen. His lack of experience raises significant concerns about the latter.

Lastly, everyone assumes Herbert won't regress. He will. The analytics show some serious areas he needs to fix and they are the same problems he exhibited at Oregon. Maybe Pep or Steichen (or both) continue his development and with Beck and 3DB in the offseason Herbert continues to develop. If he doesn't? You didn't hire someone who could also be a part of that development.

This was a big miss, but I suspect I never will know if this was the Chargers settling for their second choice or if Staley was their first choice. The latter would leave me concerned. Saying that, I do think Staley is extremely smart. In interviews, it is clear he has an impressive knowledge of football history. He sounds like a fan. I love the fact he is a fan of the EPL and that he mentioned reading about Pep Guardiola when thinking about coaching; some high level inspiration there. I think he represents an analytics based approach, which I love. I just feel, if they wanted to go this "wunderkind" route, then pick Joe Brady who does have the experience and background and who as a HC will never lose the "offensive system." But who am I? The Spanos family and Telesco always make the right choice; see exhibits Gilbride, Riley, Norv Turner, McCoy, and Lynn.
        I appreciate that you took the time to write this out since you’re obviously upset. But a lot of this is just conjecture until it actually happens so you’re freaking out for no reason whatsoever. The TT not getting any OL being a great example. I pushed hard for Daboll because I was worried about the OC thing too. But we’ll just have to see what happens.

But please stop worrying about analysts giving us a bad grade. Herbert got a bad grade also after the draft and I wouldn’t trade him for the world.

At the end of the day, does Staley have most of the following qualities below?

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Wait until he hears what's happening in Houston. Deshaun had to tell people not to march in demonstration against ownership in Houston. Fo' real.
          People forget that there are a lot of other teams that have worse owners than we do.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

If Staley can get Aubrey Pleasant as the DC...that would be a great thing to look forward to for the defense.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

People forget that there are a lot of other teams that have worse owners than we do.
              Cam & Hannah McNair have driven out their star-QB because of a man who has to pray, and hold hands with everyone in the room, before he can make a fucking decision. Are you kidding? It's too-late now to throw Jack Easterby out with the trash. Houston can deal Watson to New York Jets, Jets could send three first-round picks and a third-round pick to the Texans — this year's No. 2 pick, next year's first- and third-round picks from Seattle, their own 2023 first-rounder — and still have at least one pick in rounds 1-3 in each of the next two drafts.

Texans solved their draft need problems, and the means with which to manage the new-QB vacancy, the ownership brought on themselves.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Plenty of borderline hyperbole and innuendo in just this excerpt.

As to your point here, I question how Staley is apparently a one-year wonder, but doesn't compare to Tomlin. You do know Tomlin was a one-year DC for the Vikings and was a position coach for just 2 more years in the NFL than Staley before becoming head coach of the Steelers? Not sure why the comparison is inappropriate here.

We can agree to disagree. You aren't using those terms remotely correctly as a basis for personal aspersions. Those terms too are jaundiced more than dictionary use as well; bordering pejorative. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate your opinion being deemed hyperbole or innuendo.

That take is innuendo and hyperbole because it doesn't comport with your opinion. It may have some supposition. But not hyperbole. Hyperbole would be baseless claim that Staley is the worst coach ever. Innuendo would be that Staley only was hired because he coached at John Carroll. Neither is in that statement. Is Staley's biggest experience a DC at a DIII school? Yes. He admitted as much in interviews. I have no idea what is innuendo or hyperbole there. He doesn't have much experience. More knowledgeable analysts have noted that.

Yes, Tomlin is the exception. Hopefully Staley is as well. But from an analytics standpoint, you recognize that basing your hopes that you found the exception and not the norm is foolhardy, right? The idea that you may find the 2 percent right again, means you will fail 98 percent of the time. I don't know what the odds are here, as I haven't worked through the coaching hires of the last 10 years enough to calculate it. But using Tomlin as one example of 32 present coaches may not be a great odds making approach.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Probably, in running their team, but with the profit streams, a blind squirrel should find a nut. Occasionally it finds a really big nut. Not that many have betrayed their fan base, though, to have a nut presented to them on a golden platter.

Sorry, back to Staley.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If Staley can get Aubrey Pleasant as the DC...that would be a great thing to look forward to for the defense.
                    Part of coaching up that elite Rams D, AND another 3rd round comp pick! Cha-CHING! Now that IS a PLEASANT idea!!!

pl.JPG

https://www.therams.com/team/coaches...ubrey-pleasant

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2020
                      • Send PM

I appreciate that you took the time to write this out since you’re obviously upset. But a lot of this is just conjecture until it actually happens so you’re freaking out for no reason whatsoever. The TT not getting any OL being a great example. I pushed hard for Daboll because I was worried about the OC thing too. But we’ll just have to see what happens.

But please stop worrying about analysts giving us a bad grade. Herbert got a bad grade also after the draft and I wouldn’t trade him for the world.

At the end of the day, does Staley have most of the following qualities below?
                      https://www.thepowderblues.com/forum...93#post1171693
                      I guess long posts are flagged as the rantings of some impassioned angry mob. I'm not upset in the least. I don't get upset over football. I enjoy talking about these subjects and thinking through the decisions. Again, I like to prognosticate, the same way I do the stock market, politics, etc. In my opinion, this hiring decision fails miserably. But, I will be the first one at the table to eat crow should I be wrong.

Herbert wasn't graded poorly by Sims. Herbert was graded poorly by Klatt -- who admitted he screwed up -- and McShay (who is clueless about QBs). I'm not sure I agree with comparing analysts' opinions of how a college player will translate to the NFL versus judging a coaching hire are apples to oranges. I understand your point, but again, not all analysts viewed Herbert that way and that same analyst here, Sims, notes the problems with Staley.

Not to travel down a rabbit hole, but I went back recently and looked at the Chargers drafts, and they have been relatively awful. Wow. The draft grades were Bs, and I would say most of those drafts aside from the 1st round, were Cs to Ds. Most here -- or at the CMB -- I think graded those drafts better than the analysts.

Also, I want to be clear, I really like Staley as a person. He is brilliant. As I noted earlier, I feel some connection to coaches that eloquently discuss the EPL and the world's most beautiful game. That he mentioned Pep Guardiola and Sir Alex Ferguson in an interview had me smiling. But that doesn't mean I expect him to be a successful head coach.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Part of coaching up that elite Rams D, AND another 3rd round comp pick! Cha-CHING! Now that IS a PLEASANT idea!!!

pl.JPG

https://www.therams.com/team/coaches...ubrey-pleasant
                        He seems qualified and if you get the extra benefit - why not. He knows Staley

If its between Pep, Steichen and Kevin O'C - all things equal - pick Pep

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

No, your take on Brady is incorrect. Brady was okay with Belichick early in his career, but Brady was not a great QB until McDaniels refined his system in 2007. Look at the stats and you can see for yourself. Brady was in his 8th season before he ever had a season with a QB rating over 100. The Brady example actually supports my position.

Your take on the BUF/BAL game is incorrect as well. In fact, it is pretty ridiculous to state that the running game saved BUF.

Daboll went pass heavy in the first half (with Allen not playing well) and began mixing in some runs in the second half. He did not go run heavy until his team was up by two scores with 2:41 left in the 4th quarter and his team was pinned deep in its own end where the only way they could have lost was with a turnover. He ran the ball heavily then and only then. Frankly, he could have kneeled and punted. And, of course, his "game saving running series" failed to produce even one first down (they got a first down on a running into the punter penalty).

Also, nobody is saying not to run the ball ever. I have always advocated for an approximate split of 2 passes for every one run for our team. Other teams balances can be different based upon their strengths and weaknesses.

But the main thing we must get away from is the situational stupidity of Lynn/Steichen with the drive killing early down run heavy play calling. The loss against Denver makes this so obvious--all three of the final drives were killed when the offense went run, run on first and second down. Add to that the awful time management issues and Steichen has to go.

We really did miss an opportunity with Daboll.
                          Brady had won 3 Super Bowls by that time. Who did those offenses have besides Brady? They weren't exactly winning 13 - 10 matches.

QB rating is nice, but you are giving us an ample demonstration on how limiting those stats really are.

Comment

Working...
                          X