• Show
Clear All
  • Sec-E4
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2014
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

The Lions Vs Cowboys game got me thinking

How come Coaches in the NFL don't snap like MLB coaches snap ?!?!??!

I don't ever remember seeing an NFL coach snap and get crazy over a call like Lou Piniella has, I'm sure we all remember the highlight reels or watching a bloopers tape, Where Piniella or Billy Martin went crazy over a blown call and lit up the umpire with every cuss word in the book. All of this while being with in kissing distance, And kicking dirt onto the umps shoes.

You might be wondering where I'm going with this right, Nowhere really. All this came to mind while watching the Lions Vs Cowboys game, That blown PI call should have had a certain head coach get postal on the refs, Even Dez and the Cowboys team and coaches were getting crazy (Dez should have been penalized for running onto the field). Why didn't Caldwell get medieval on that ass ? I know it doesn't happen much in the NFL but if any time was a right time, This would have been an acceptable time for a head coach to get postal of the Ref !

Are NFL coaches just soft ? I know it's apples and oranges but its a professional sport and equally competitive, And both sports have instant replays to decide close calls. I can only imagine what it feels like to be a Lions fan right now.

All I'm saying is Caldwell should have gotten all Lou Piniella on that Ass. This Ref stuff is getting out of hand and I'm sure something might be done after this season (Hopefully)
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

A NFL head coach is much more valuable than a MLB manager. If a NFL head coach were to get thrown out for throwing a fit, their team would be in much bigger doo-doo than the MLB team getting their manager thrown out. The pitching coach or whoever could step in and the team really wouldn't miss a beat.

Comment

• Geezbolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Sun Valley, ID
      • Send PM

I think it's a part of baseball's culture. It's part showmanship and brings some color to the games. Also, when you play 165 games it's not a big deal to get thrown out of a few. I agree with TTK too, the NFL coaches' role is more important during a game.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

I'm sure in part it has to do with the 15 yard penalty that would come with it. No such animal in MLB. MLB HC gets booted, NFL head coach gets booted and a 15 yard penalty giving your opponent and huge advantage.

Comment

• Sec-E4
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2014
          • Arizona
          • Send PM

I agree that the NFL coaches roll is way more crucial, But this was a one and done play off situation! The season was on the line, So why not ?!?!?! He literally had nothing and everything to lose.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
            I'm sure in part it has to do with the 15 yard penalty that would come with it. No such animal in MLB. MLB HC gets booted, NFL head coach gets booted and a 15 yard penalty giving your opponent and huge advantage.
            ..and if the NFL coach crosses the line with language or even contacts the ref you're looking at a one game suspension.

I had the pleasure of watching Piniella go into a complete meltdown at the Murph years ago...good stuff
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Sec-E4
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2014
              • Arizona
              • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              ..and if the NFL coach crosses the line with language or even contacts the ref you're looking at a one game suspension.

I had the pleasure of watching Piniella go into a complete meltdown at the Murph years ago...good stuff
              Yah but it was a playoff game, You don't think it would have been worth it ? The Lions will be on the couch now

That must have been pretty rad watching Piniella get all Pininella on that ass @ the Murph

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
                I agree that the NFL coaches roll is way more crucial, But this was a one and done play off situation! The season was on the line, So why not ?!?!?! He literally had nothing and everything to lose.
                The Lions were winning when that non-call happened. It wasn't like the game was over there.

I still don't understand why they didn't go for it on 4th and 1 though.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
                  Yah but it was a playoff game, You don't think it would have been worth it ? The Lions will be on the couch now

That must have been pretty rad watching Piniella get all Pininella on that ass @ the Murph
                  Yeah Lou went ballistic.....I'm sure it was at the Murph although my old brain could be playin tricks on me....I did get to see Lasorda and Durocher in 72 get run...

Piniella was pissed because a Padre runner was safe at second but had slid way out of the base path and reached over to tag second.....Lou ran out and went berserk and when that didn't yield results he fell on the ground above second base and proceeded to demo the runner being three feet above second and reaching over to tag, he got up all dirty and red faced and the ump would have none of it so Lou picked up the bag and chucked it....he was ejected
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

NFL coach missing a game due to being thrown out is the equivalent to a MLB coach being suspended 10 games. I sort of look at it that way.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

We're talking about Jim Caldwell... probably the least emotional of all coaches in the league.

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                        Not to mention the fact the NFL would slap an additional year suspension on said coach, plus fines and potential loss of draft picks.....you can see the league frowns upon this type of behavior much more than MLB does.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X