• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Here is a good example of what I meant by the spirit of the rules, Panamamike. This is an excerpt from a article posted today on SI.com. I didn't even know about the running things by the officials unwritten rule. (By the way, there seem to be a lot of unwritten rules that every team except the Belicheck led Patriots abide by in the name of good sportsmanship). I suppose the only way to stop this is for other teams to ignore the unwritten rules when they play the Patriots. For example, it is not illegal to attempt to pummel the winning QB when he goes into the victory formation if you can get to him before he kneels. Or for the defensive linemen to fire out instead of going through the motions. But in the spirit of the game, teams don't do that to each other. But it is the kind of thing the genius Belicheck will try and then say, or more appropriately, mumble, that it is not illegal.

TG

From SI.com...........

It is customary for coaches to run usual trick plays past the league office during the week, to make sure everything is on the up-and-up. Belichick didn’t do that. Right before the game, he told referee Bill Vinovich he would declare certain players as ineligible receivers. This put Vinovich in the difficult position of deciding, with no notice, if he should tell the great Bill Belichick he was trying something illegal.

Technically, what Belichick suggested is legal. Vinovich OK’d it. But the key to the plan was what Belichick did not say. He did not say he would hurry up his offense when he declared certain receivers ineligible, giving the Ravens no time to adjust to the tactic. The Ravens barely had time to see who was eligible before the ball was snapped. The officials couldn’t even get into proper position. They allowed the ball to be snapped too quickly.

That was the whole point of the tactic. It was a circumvention of the rules. Look at it this way: Sometimes an offense goes to a no-huddle, hurry-up offense, hoping to wear out defensive players. But if the offense substitutes, the offense can’t hurry so much. The defense gets a chance to substitute, too. It’s only fair, right?

Well, that’s what the Patriots avoided against Baltimore. They switched their eligible receivers and gave Baltimore no time to adjust. The league officiating office might have sniffed this out with a few days’ notice, but Belichick counted on his ability to confuse and probably intimidate Vinovich.
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      Here is a good example of what I meant by the spirit of the rules, Panamamike. This is an excerpt from a article posted today on SI.com. I didn't even know about the running things by the officials unwritten rule. (By the way, there seem to be a lot of unwritten rules that every team except the Belicheck led Patriots abide by in the name of good sportsmanship). I suppose the only way to stop this is for other teams to ignore the unwritten rules when they play the Patriots. For example, it is not illegal to attempt to pummel the winning QB when he goes into the victory formation if you can get to him before he kneels. Or for the defensive linemen to fire out instead of going through the motions. But in the spirit of the game, teams don't do that to each other. But it is the kind of thing the genius Belicheck will try and then say, or more appropriately, mumble, that it is not illegal.

TG

From SI.com...........

It is customary for coaches to run usual trick plays past the league office during the week, to make sure everything is on the up-and-up. Belichick didn’t do that. Right before the game, he told referee Bill Vinovich he would declare certain players as ineligible receivers. This put Vinovich in the difficult position of deciding, with no notice, if he should tell the great Bill Belichick he was trying something illegal.

Technically, what Belichick suggested is legal. Vinovich OK’d it. But the key to the plan was what Belichick did not say. He did not say he would hurry up his offense when he declared certain receivers ineligible, giving the Ravens no time to adjust to the tactic. The Ravens barely had time to see who was eligible before the ball was snapped. The officials couldn’t even get into proper position. They allowed the ball to be snapped too quickly.

That was the whole point of the tactic. It was a circumvention of the rules. Look at it this way: Sometimes an offense goes to a no-huddle, hurry-up offense, hoping to wear out defensive players. But if the offense substitutes, the offense can’t hurry so much. The defense gets a chance to substitute, too. It’s only fair, right?

Well, that’s what the Patriots avoided against Baltimore. They switched their eligible receivers and gave Baltimore no time to adjust. The league officiating office might have sniffed this out with a few days’ notice, but Belichick counted on his ability to confuse and probably intimidate Vinovich.
      Again, it wasn't illegal. since the Patriots even informed the official he would declare certain players ineligible, I assume that this must be done in the same manner as declaring a player eligible. So, the ref should have declare the inelligible player prior to putting the ball in play, regardless of going no huddle. the failure was with the officiating crew (once again) to properly handle the situation. I may be wrong about that, and don't have the inclination to look it up.

If it is not the case, then the nfl needs to tighten up their eligbility rules. As it stands, they did not do anything illegal. Your point about the victory formation doesn't hold much water. The game is out of hand....if it Is less than a score you better be prepared for that crap. The team that does it must also be prepared for a team to do the same to them on another Sunday. Hence, doing that essentially puts your own QB at risk down the line.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think the main issue is the double standard. They were going to eject Marshawn Lynch for wearing gold cleats for Christ's sake. But outright cheating gets swept under the rug.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

eye for an eye, I say. Deflate Belichek's balls in return for him deflating the NFL's balls.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I think at an absolute minimum, Belicheck and Brady should be required to be in NY or wherever NFL headquarters are and be answering questions and on call for anything that may have happened. Taking them away from the preparations for the big game is a great punishment or at least start of the punishment. As it stands, Belicheck just mumbles that the league is handling it and Tom just smugly says you have got to be kidding me. And they go on their merry way to figuring out how to 'push the envelope' a new way while reaping the benefits of their past cheating.

TG
            Last edited by Heatmiser; 01-22-2015, 10:36 AM.
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              I think at an absolute minimum, Belicheck and Brady should be required to be in NY or wherever NFL headquarters are and be answering questions and on call for anything that may have happened. Taking them away from the preparations for the big game is a great punishment or at least start of the punishment. As it stands, Belicheck just mumbles that the league is handling it and Tom just smugly says you have got to be kidding me. And they go on their merry way to figuring out how to 'push the envelope' a new way while reaping the benefits of their past cheating.

TG
              By preparation you mean filming the Seahawks practice....right?
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Both Belicheat and Brady should be suspended. Belicheat for 4-6 games minimum as a repeat offender, and Brady for one game. Effective immediately. Meaning no Super Bowl for you two miscreants!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Forfeiture should be the penalty for cheating.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    Forfeiture should be the penalty for cheating.
                    It should. But the principals need to feel some real pain too.

Comment

Working...
                    X