• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I know he left Sat, but he was close to retiring each of the last 2 or 3 years. It just didn't make the national news like hi final retirement did.

The other thing that I don't think most people realize is that the Blitzburgh flavor of 34 is totally different from the 34 we play. The gap concepts, the terminology, the blitzes are all very different. It means reteaching the whole D from the beginning, which would seem like a waste now. Particularly for a guy who is clearly year to year.
    Well he left the Steelers and says he'd still like to coach. Whether someone hires him is a different story but he wants to 'switch teams'
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Arnsparger talked Ross into hiring him. Ross initially contacted him to get a recommendation, and Arnsparger was the LSU Athletic Director wanted out of being an administrator, so recommended himself. But part of the deal in the versions I have heard was that he had to agree to at least a couple of years, or the organization wasn't going to go for it. Even after Arnsparger left, he didn't completely quit coaching, as he coached with his son at Cornell, and did some consulting with a couple of NFL teams for several more years at least.

AS far as Pagano's D goes, you can't be missing the most important pieces (OLB) and still expect the D to be awesome. Again, when was the last time we had 2 decent OLB who lined up for any length of time? Phillips and Merriman was the last time we were all really satisfied, and that was back when we had an outside pass rush. The major problem since then has been our putrid 3rd down D, and that isn't going to change until we get some outside pass rushers who can pressure on 3rd downs.
      that's the main reason to stop running the 3-4. We haven't had enough of these guys for about 8 seasons now and chances are slim we ever will with so many teams playing 3-4 now and our injury curse. If we never have the key guys to make the 3-4 go- what's the point? And this year I think our 3rd down problems have been a failure to execute in big situations by boneheaded plays and penalties by DBs- mostly Wright which is why I don't want him back either. There were many times we forced 3rd and long and had the right coverages and made a play- only to have it negated by penalty. Gotta stop that by getting better players.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Can he get Butler to play?

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Is it going to be any easier to find a couple of 43 DE then it is to find 34 OLB? There is a big shortage of edge rushers for either defense. The key element to the 43 D is the DE coming off the corner. It has always been that way, and is becoming even more important as teams spent that much time throwing. But in either case, there is no defense that is going to be successful.

I think you can argue about the critical mistakes by the DB on 3rd down any of the last few season. Not necessarily penalties, although plenty of them too. A lot of things have to come together to play D. Lots of teamwork, and all of it has to come together to be good at it. But without the pass rush, we aren't going to be successful.

Comment

• TTThunder
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Steve,

So you will pick a pass rusher with our 1st pick at 17? (Not an OL?)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

It depends on who is available, and what moves we make at other positions. In general, I don't have a problem with it. We need pass rush badly, we need OL badly. I wouldn't really rank one above the other at this point. Neither area is acceptable right now.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2014
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

Let's get Chucky and Cowher too. Ohhhhh and Pat Riley

Steeler fans are over him and want Dick gone, Just like they want Troy gone. On paper and based of their resume. Yah, It sounds goods, But what has he done lately ? Dick has been in the same situation as Pags, He's had a roster filled with young players and injured players and they've missed the play offs in the last 5 years, almost as much as us
                Last edited by Sec-E4; 01-15-2015, 01:27 AM.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

PITTSBURGH—Following his unexpected resignation from the Pittsburgh Steelers last week, veteran defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau told reporters Thursday that he still feels he can coach in the NFL for at least another 30 or 40 years. “I feel good, I’m healthy, and I’m still as motivated as ever, so I think I still…

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I'd rather have Dick LeBeau than Dick Poop...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                    X