• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Like every season a lot of the players who are on these lists are fringe guys, who might be there day 1, but will be gone by the end of the season, if not before.

We will be checking the waiver wire and PS every day once things start to shape out in TC.

There will likely be a lot of new names. Look for a lot of Bears, Broncos and Rams types to at least get some serious looks, as they all have scheme and personnel ties to Staley.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Egbule makes more sense as LB5 as he can fill in @ ILB, OLB, and ST with 2 years of experience on his side.
      4 LBs and 3 QBs, or 7 WRs, or 4 TEs are viable options as well.
      Have to see which fringe roster players step up in TC/Pre-Season games.
      I totally agree with you about how much sense it makes with Egbule, but then you have to factor in how well does he play. He has done pretty well on ST, so that is a plus for him, but when you are on just about the worst ST group in football, he might still want to raise his game in that area. Egbule has 1st round caliber physical tools, and he plays like an UDFA (on D). He flashed ability in college, but pretty much looks mechanical on D in the NFL.

The vast majority of these guy on our roster have never played for Staley before. A lot of who makes it and who doesn't will be about who responds to what Staley is doing and can they step up their games. The other thing is that unless you are at the high end of the roster, then what a player does alone doesn't make or break the roster. If you play above average to good, and another guy is playing great, you might be out of luck and the team keeps extra players at a position.

Right now, on paper, I only see a couple of positions that the list looks "set". QB and OL (maybe TE too, although I think going with 4 TE and 5 WR is more likely). The OL thing is more about supply and demand, and you can rarely get decent OL off the street.

If I was a Chargers player and I wasn't starting, I would want to excell on ST, because otherwise I wouldn't feel too good about my chances of getting to the end of my contract.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Like every season a lot of the players who are on these lists are fringe guys, who might be there day 1, but will be gone by the end of the season, if not before.
        Concur. There will be five or six guys who make the initial 50-whatever-it-is roster, but who end up getting waived and put on the Practice Squad when (if) they clear waivers, which they generally do. Gabe Nabors was one of those guys last year, as were TE Stephen Anderson, DE Joe Gaziano and WR Jason Moore.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Slater signed

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                Slater signed
                Beat me to it!

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I totally agree with you about how much sense it makes with Egbule, but then you have to factor in how well does he play. He has done pretty well on ST, so that is a plus for him, but when you are on just about the worst ST group in football, he might still want to raise his game in that area. Egbule has 1st round caliber physical tools, and he plays like an UDFA (on D). He flashed ability in college, but pretty much looks mechanical on D in the NFL.

The vast majority of these guy on our roster have never played for Staley before. A lot of who makes it and who doesn't will be about who responds to what Staley is doing and can they step up their games. The other thing is that unless you are at the high end of the roster, then what a player does alone doesn't make or break the roster. If you play above average to good, and another guy is playing great, you might be out of luck and the team keeps extra players at a position.

Right now, on paper, I only see a couple of positions that the list looks "set". QB and OL (maybe TE too, although I think going with 4 TE and 5 WR is more likely). The OL thing is more about supply and demand, and you can rarely get decent OL off the street.

If I was a Chargers player and I wasn't starting, I would want to excell on ST, because otherwise I wouldn't feel too good about my chances of getting to the end of my contract.
                  I think we go with 6 WRs for the simple fact that we need Reed as a KR. Our safety group isn’t deep, so we can’t risk Adderley out there running full-speed into kick coverage units. I mean, who else do we have that can return kicks??
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                    Herbatron’s traps are beastly.
                    Wonder how many pull-ups he can do.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Keep an eye on Hunter Kampmoyer. He is a good blocker and he has good hands, and he has a knack for getting open.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Herbatron’s traps are beastly.
                          Wonder how many pull-ups he can do.
                          Imagine how many fishing poles he snapped in two as a youngin' .
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X