• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

OT Lisinopril (blood pressure med)

I was wondering if anyone else has ever taken Lisinopril for high blood pressure (hypertension). It's also supposed to be used for people that have suffered a heart attack and for congestive heart failure.

I just started with it on last Thursday for high blood pressure and it has kicked my ass in more ways than one. I was real curious if anyone else was able to stand its' side effects. One side effect for me is almost total and complete weakness. And I was only taking two 5 mg tablets each day. I was feeling so weak by Saturday I was wondering what the heck happened. It was nuts how weak I was all of a sudden. And there also seem to be profound psychological side-effects. I'll try to describe...Okay, it was something like everything was moving when it really wasn't. And there's also a feeling of wanting to jump out of my skin (while I was attempting to sleep) ...fucking hated that! It was very bizarre.

Here's the thing. I obviously want to lower my blood pressure. My doc mentioned that (before I took any of the pills) my body would need time to adjust to the medication. Meaning the intended effects wouldn't happen for a few weeks. My question is, has anyone taken this Lisinopril and had their early uncomfortable side-effects eventually go away in time? I would prefer to keep exercising and hope through loss of weight I can reduce my blood pressure. I got up to 240+ lbs but am currently around 230 now after a couple weeks of exercising (walking and now also going to a gym).

The reason I'm asking you guys and not my doc is that I want people that have actually taken the drug to give me their story. And besides, when asked if there were any side-effects with this drug my doc responded that the only effect is lower blood pressure. Which is, as I've found out pretty quickly, a load of B.S. It's far from the only effect.

Thank you,

Fred
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I don't take any drugs like that, but if it messes you up, get off of it. There's other, older drugs available you can use without the side effects.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I've been taking it for more than 1 year with NO side effects other than the 1 you want- lower BP. Mine are 20MG. What time of day to you take it? I was told to take in the evening and always have. Bottle has warning about dry cough, and my Dr. says that would be the only bad side effect and shows up almost immediately. He says there are many other benefits to the drug as well including helping your liver (I have hereditary Cholesterol issues as well).

Are you taking a Statin drug for Cholesterol too? All the bad symptoms you described are EXACTLY what statin drugs do to me- and I can't take them after experiencing all that. I have my Cholesterol under control with regular exercise and diet, but it can go bad again if I get off track on those.

Good luck!
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        I've been taking it for more than 1 year with NO side effects other than the 1 you want- lower BP. Mine are 20MG. What time of day to you take it? I was told to take in the evening and always have. Bottle has warning about dry cough, and my Dr. says that would be the only bad side effect and shows up almost immediately. He says there are many other benefits to the drug as well including helping your liver (I have hereditary Cholesterol issues as well).

Are you taking a Statin drug for Cholesterol too? All the bad symptoms you described are EXACTLY what statin drugs do to me- and I can't take them after experiencing all that. I have my Cholesterol under control with regular exercise and diet, but it can go bad again if I get off track on those.

Good luck!
        Weird. I wish my body would respond like yours because I also have an enlarged liver and I'm guessing this med could possibly help that.

I'm not taking any other drugs. I've been taking it with breakfast and with dinner.

Thank you.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          I don't take any drugs like that, but if it messes you up, get off of it. There's other, older drugs available you can use without the side effects.
          Good suggestion.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

SDfan, I have taken Lipitor - a statin drug - in the past (around ten years ago) and it constricted the muscles in my back, shoulder and forearm. And the constriction/spasm was constant. I actually had a forearm like Steve Garvey. All from the Lipitor. That hurt.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
              Weird. I wish my body would respond like yours because I also have an enlarged liver and I'm guessing this med could possibly help that.

I'm not taking any other drugs. I've been taking it with breakfast and with dinner.

Thank you.
              before giving up on it, ask your Dr. if you can just switch to 1x per day dosage because of side effects. I take mine around 6-7 PM every evening. It says on bottle it can be taken with or without food.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

SDfan, I have taken Lipitor - a statin drug - in the past (around ten years ago) and it constricted the muscles in my back, shoulder and forearm. And the constriction/spasm was constant. I actually had a forearm like Steve Garvey. All from the Lipitor. That hurt.
                I had instant problems taking Pravastatin Sodium (common generic statin). Took 1st dose in evening and next morning felt like a cement truck ran over me. Had to ask wife to help pull me up to get out of bed as I was weak and had muscle pain all over. I stuck with it for awhile to see if my body would adjust to it but just kept getting more bad side effects: Yellow eyes and blurry vision, brown pee, clouded thinking. I tried cutting dose in half, then to only 1/4 dose but it didn't help so I weaned off and stopped taking after talking to my Dr. About 18 months ago I had a checkup and Dr told me I was ready for a heart attack or stroke because I had a sudden unexplained weight gain + blood pressure way up + Cholesterol way up- with no changes in lifestyle from previous healthy state. He said I could drop dead any minute and he wanted me back on statins and advised the Lisinopril at that time. I refused because I just hate being chained to any kind of Pharma meds and prefer doing it naturally and had everything under control before. He made me agree to take my blood pressure 2x per day and check in if it didn't go back down (it didn't)- so I agreed to a 3 month regimen of Lisinopril, and we tried Crestor which advertised fewer side effects at same time. I was able to tolerate both and after 3 months everything was back down to normal and we still don't know what happened. I went off the Crestor but have stayed on the Lisinopril until I Lose another 10 lbs. to get BMI into Normal range.

1 note: with any of these prescription meds, they recommend once you start taking them you shouldn't just stop abruptly or it can have OTHER bad effects. Talk to your Dr. about side effects 1st and if he agrees you can stop it's best to keep lowering doses over time until its completely out of your system.

I'm not a Dr. , so just sharing my experiences here. YMMV

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I too take Lisinopril, 20 mg. Been taking it once a day for about four years with no side effects. I echo SDFan's advice, see your doctor and let him know your symptoms. There are many types of HBP meds they can give you.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    I too take Lisinopril, 20 mg. Been taking it once a day for about four years with no side effects. I echo SDFan's advice, see your doctor and let him know your symptoms. There are many types of HBP meds they can give you.

Dammit. How come you guys can take it and I can't? What makes me react to the Lisinopril so badly?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

SDfan, I agree with diet being a large part of things. I've been eating more soup and salad lately. In fact, if I don't cook it then I don't eat it. That's been my slogan of late. I've made four different soups in the past couple weeks. And they've been pretty good too. Butternut squash, tomato, Sinigang (a soup my filipina gf made me before and I learned how), and chicken soup with mustard greens and/or spinach. Each were fantastic. One thing I really like is my chicken breast salad. I cut some chicken breast into strips and saute with chopped garlic and onions. Then I put all of that over some baby lettuce (it's called Baby Spring Mix at the grocery store and comes in a plastic box container) and top with some mango dressing. YUM! That's pretty simple and quick and it's freakin delicious.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

SDfan, I agree with diet being a large part of things. I've been eating more soup and salad lately. In fact, if I don't cook it then I don't eat it. That's been my slogan of late. I've made four different soups in the past couple weeks. And they've been pretty good too. Butternut squash, tomato, Sinigang (a soup my filipina gf made me before and I learned how), and chicken soup with mustard greens and/or spinach. Each were fantastic. One thing I really like is my chicken breast salad. I cut some chicken breast into strips and saute with chopped garlic and onions. Then I put all of that over some baby lettuce (it's called Baby Spring Mix at the grocery store and comes in a plastic box container) and top with some mango dressing. YUM! That's pretty simple and quick and it's freakin delicious.
                        Keep using garlic. Its a natural cholesterol buster.
                        Turmeric and cinnamon are too.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X