Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Wade Phillips explains the one gap 34

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Wade explains his flavor of 34 D.

The really interesting part is where Wade explains how to play to a NT strengths and why you have to be flexible at NT, which is about 5:30 in.

Let's see how Yuba explains his way outta this one.
  • Sec-E4
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2014
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

The another video where Wade explains the rusty trombone

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

We should create an entire thread just to say how Yuba is wrong...
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Only one?
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Maybe a "Yuba was Wrong!" thread can beat the Nate Kaeding thread?
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupBixjjyZY#t=326

Wade explains his flavor of 34 D.

The really interesting part is where Wade explains how to play to a NT strengths and why you have to be flexible at NT, which is about 5:30 in.

Let's see how Yuba explains his way outta this one.
            Your post is just bizarre.

First, Wade Phillips did not say one word, not even one, about anything with which I have ever taken issue in his entire 11:28 discussion. There is nothing for me to explain my way "outta" whatsoever.

And let's be clear about what Wade Phillips actually said throughout his discussion so that nobody is confused by your statement about being flexible at NT. What Phillips said with respect to all of the positions of the front seven is that the coach has to be flexible with respect to the player(s) he has. So, if he has a bigger guy, that player might be told to play a position a little differently than a smaller guy might play the same position. It depends upon the player's skills and you had to get all of 15 seconds into the discussion to hear that.

He did not say anything about a particular type of player preference at NT, which was already totally obvious before watching this video because his NTs have been both bigger stronger guys and smaller quicker guys.

I would rank the profoundness of his flexibility statements at the various front seven positions in terms of how they are to be coached right up there with someone making the statement that there is air or that the sky is blue. It definitely falls in the "no kidding" department and is not anything with which I take issue. Again, your post is just bizarre.

However, I would like everyone to see in that video that in discussing his base 3-4 formation, he plays both OLBs at the line of scrimmage on the outside of the 3-4 DEs and the NT. I swear when I discussed pass rushing with 5 players on the line of scrimmage using both OLBs to rush, you and Panama reacted like I was speaking Chinese to you, which stunned me because Wade did that frequently when he was our DC and he often rushed both Phillips and Merriman.

There were other inconsistencies with things that you have said such as with respect to the use of the strong side 3-4 DE and how he does not "let them go" unless the player is someone like J.J. Watt, but suffice it to say that you are the one whose discussion is inconsistent in several respects with what Wade Phillips is saying, not me. You are the one that needs to explain your way "outta" this one.

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
              Maybe a "Yuba was Wrong!" thread can beat the Nate Kaeding thread?
              That would be funny in a thread featuring a video that does not show that I am wrong about anything.

I think the video shows that some of Steve's views are wrong. Wasn't he the one that insisted that Wade Phillips preferred smaller, quicker NTs when we were discussing the possible signing of Earl Mitchell? I called him out on that and now Steve has proven me right by introducing a video in which the coach states that you have to be flexible with the players that you have and in which he expresses no preference as to player type.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

And Wades non preference makes you right how?
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  And Wades non preference makes you right how?
                  In the Mitchell thread, my recollection is that Steve stated that Wade preferred smaller quicker NTs, which I said was likely BS because I knew that Wade had been the DC for teams that had smaller/quicker NTs and for teams that had bigger/stronger NTs.

Steve is biased against the bigger/stronger NTs. He appears to prefer smaller quicker players, which I think are often pussies that get run over. My bias is in favor of the bigger stronger NTs. That's why a player like Shelton, who was recently rated as high as #7 overall by CBS, is possibly not even worthy of being drafted at all in Steve's world. On the opposite side, I am sure that that is part of why I continue to think that the NT position needs upgrading to a greater degree than some others do.

But Wade seems okay with both kinds of players based upon his statement that the coach needs to be flexible and lack of statement that it is really best that the NT be either this way or that way in terms of size/strength/quickness. I believe that's what I said and the opposite of what Steve said in the Mitchell thread.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

BS is short for blocking scheme, right?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

At a certain point if you can get a 6'4" or shorter 330# NT that has the movement of a man 280# yeah he could be a better player than a 6'4" or short 305# NT who moves well but maybe like a 295 man of the same build. Problem on is the cost difference between the two when in all likelihood both would be on the bench on 3rd down. The added cost may equate to the added ability the bigger man brings, but not unless he plays all three downs and no rookie in this class offers that garrenteed from day on in his rookie year.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Yuba, the consistent theme of the whole video was how you have to adapt to the players you have and that there is no one way to play it. He specifically points out the different ways to use NT to adapt to their different size and quickness.
                        With Wade Phillips formally interviewing with the Broncos, I thought it was about that time to take a look at his defensive scheme. Think of this as just a primer; I will delve deeper into the...

In fact, he referred to Jamal as a quicker player. And remember, he inherited both Washington and Jamal, neither was a guy he went out and looked for. As far as Wade's NT's only 2 have been bigger guys. Ted Washington and Jamal, the rest were all smaller, quicker players. Ratliff, Kragen, the name of the guy in Atlanta escapes me, Mitchell.... If you count his stint with the Eagles as their DC under Buddy Ryan (since the 46 is mostly a 34 front) then Mike Golic too. Plenty of small quick guys, enough that it is pretty clear he doesn't want big fat slobs like Yuba thinks are useful. Because they are USELESS. 2 perfect examples, Paul Soliai and John Jenkins, two of the worst DL in football this year, because they are big and slow. Soliai used to be pretty good, but he i no longer quick and has gotten to big to play low with leverage. But now he can barely get in his stance and cannot get into the blockers quickly enough. You cannot sacrifice those qualities for bulk and still be successful.

The issue is not about getting bigger and stronger players. The issue is you confuse size=strength, which is often wrong. Plus, NT need to have quickness to get into blocks. Guys like Star (NT Panthers), Ngata or Jamal would be great NT. But there aren't any of those guys around. Big fat players who play without leverage are a liability (see Soliai and Jenkins). You think it is the size that is important, and it isn't, it is the strength and leverage, and not all big players have that. Example, Soliai and Jenkins being kicked around like they have roller skates on, which was pretty much the norm this year.

You have obviously not watched Shelton, or even read many reviews or you would see lots of people have serious reservations. The guy had to lose a major amount of weight just to get to the senior bowl, and he played poorly, including getting run over on short yardage early in the game. He has taken a major hit to his draft stock already. He can get some back, but he is going to have to pull a Poe at the combine and really perform well. Poe was a horrible performer in college, but had amazing workout numbers, and that was why he got picked high. Star was a great player who had pretty good workout numbers, so despite being off some boards due to his heart, he still went pretty high. But too many fat guys are high on mock drafts, then fall like rocks. Shelton is going to need to put up some good workouts and maybe he can save his draft status. But he is not a very good player, despite being incredibly athletic.

You have yet to hear any NFL guys fall in love with Shelton, because no NFL team is tipping their hands. I suspect it i the same deal as last year, NFL team start to rave behind the scenes to distract other teams, then the fat guys plummet. Ask Nix how that goes, because that guy had awful technique and he got ripped by his coaches even before he went on IR.

Two more points
                        1). NE has a ton of huge, run stuffing DL, and one of them in Vince Wilfork, who you seem to think is an OK player. But the Seahawks ran right at them, keeping them in the game. So, if the big DL are supposed to work (And it didn't help the Pats pass rush any), doesn't that mean you strategy of playing run first with huge DL kinda SUCK?

2). If you HAVE to have huge, run stuffing NT to make the 34 work, and NFL teams aren't drafting big run stuffers at NT, why they hell do they stick with the 34? Are all NFL coaches just complete idiots?

Comment

Working...
                        X