Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Coach D on Watt and Fluker

We have seen a fair share of massive contracts in the NFL. So who tops the highest-paid list at every position as of today?

SAN DIEGO -- Coach Mike McCoy always says they draft players for a reason. That appears to be the case for last year’s third round draft selection: Notre Dame product Chris Watt.

With Nick Hardwick announcing his retirement on Tuesday, Watt is penciled in as the starting center for the San Diego Chargers as they prepare for the 2015 season.

Of course, a lot can change from now until September. But general manager Tom Telesco said the team was pleased with how Watt performed at center in five starts last season.

“You just don’t plug a guy in and figure he’s going to fill [Hardwick’s] shoes right away,” Telesco said. “We’re happy with the guys we have, but no one is going to walk in and be Nick Hardwick on Day 1. And we’re not asking them to do that.”

Watt was drafted for his football intelligence, athleticism and versatility as a guy that can play all three interior offensive line positions. But for now, Watt will be tasked with developing the kind of rapport with Philip Rivers that Hardwick developed over a decade.

“For what he did this year, I’m looking forward to continue the opportunity to work with him and see his growth as a center, and a guard,” Chargers offensive line coach Joe D’Allessandris said. “We’re still in that phase of trying to figure it out. But I think he has a lot of great qualities as an offensive lineman. He’s got a good mind. He wants to grow. He’s a sponge. He wants to absorb and learn.”

D’Allesandris also discussed the future of right tackle D.J. Fluker, stating that a decision has not been made on whether the University of Alabama product will kick inside to guard.

“We’re still in some discussion phase there, so I’d rather wait on that,” D’Alesandris said. “We think we see some things, but we want to make sure. It’s going to be a lot of decision making between now and OTAs (organized team activities), and after OTAs.”

One thing D’Alesandris said is Fluker provides versatility, including that ability to play left tackle in a pinch, which he did for three games during his rookie season when King Dunlap was out with a concussion. Fluker has only missed one start in his first two years in the league.

“Don’t think he can’t, because he can,” D’Alesandris said. “He proved that he could. We’ve just got to keep working to help improve him.”
    Look like coach D thinks that Watt is a C and Fluker is our RT. Discuss.
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Coach D must like the challenge of a poor RT over a potentially great OG. As for Watt, wat?
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• homeless simpson
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

a 3rd rounder not expected to start his rookie season but ended up being forced into the starting lineup from day 1 can't walk in and be a Nick Hardwick...except Nick Hardwick who was a 3rd rounder forced to start his rookie season because Jason Ball got greedy and held out.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

If he stays at RT help him out with a solid vet ROG and a pass blocking TE...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
          a 3rd rounder not expected to start his rookie season but ended up being forced into the starting lineup from day 1 can't walk in and be a Nick Hardwick...except Nick Hardwick who was a 3rd rounder forced to start his rookie season because Jason Ball got greedy and held out.
          Well if he had pulled it off, he would be a Nick Hardwick, wooden tee?
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Watt started after 3 centers were injured, not day 1.
            Last edited by oneinchpunch; 02-03-2015, 11:44 PM.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Who knows? Not even the coaches do. Talk about being vague.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

BIG difference. Hardwickmplayd centre all through college. Watt had never played centre.

Comment

• vinabolt
                  Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Send PM

Jason Ball disappear after stints with Chargers. Harwick was a better player the whole way. The coaching staff would start a healthy Harwick over Ball any day, regard of hold out or not.
                  Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

I really liked Robinson at center.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Sun Valley, ID
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      Talk about being vague.
                      It's draft season. We're just going to have to get used to it. Not that this bunch isn't pretty vague to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                        It's draft season. We're just going to have to get used to it. Not that this bunch isn't pretty vague to begin with.
                        Ribs.

Comment

Working...
                        X