Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

OT: Farewell to Dean Smith

My personal coaching role model, who I fall far, far, short of.

He was what it means to truly be a coach, and is an inspiration to many of us. (Also, why I cheer for North Carolina).

Dean Smith won basketball games -- a lot of them -- but his impact wasn't just during the 40 minutes of action. It was his impact on his players, the respect of his peers and the endless outpouring of love from those he came in contact with that will be his lasting legacy.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

RIP Dean.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

RIP..hard to believe he retired in 97
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

I'm a Duke fan but Dean has a huge amount of respect from people back here in my area. Duke against Georgiatech game last week had a moment of silence in respect prior to the game for Dean. Good to see the game honored by people like Dean and Coach K.....good respectable people that despite the many battles are still respectable when it comes down to it.....cue Coach Bellicheat announcement now...the antithesis of what i'm talkin about

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Since this is an off topic thread, I want to also send respects to another college basketball great, Jerry Tarkanian. I think without him and others pushing the envelope on offense, the game would have been stuck in the slow lane. Four Corner D was effective, but who really wanted to watch this, other than UNC fans. He pushed the envelope in other ways (wink, wink), but he gave opportunity for players that didn't fit into the standard mold, and made the game more fun to watch.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            Since this is an off topic thread, I want to also send respects to another college basketball great, Jerry Tarkanian. I think without him and others pushing the envelope on offense, the game would have been stuck in the slow lane. Four Corner D was effective, but who really wanted to watch this, other than UNC fans. He pushed the envelope in other ways (wink, wink), but he gave opportunity for players that didn't fit into the standard mold, and made the game more fun to watch.
            It's sad Tark was hounded by the NCAA....he sued them and won.

best quote: The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky that is put Cleveland State on two more years probation" LOL

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              Coach Smith actually WANTED the shot clock. It's well documented. North Carolina played an uptempo style.. MOST of the time.

He utilized the four corners, because that was the rule, and he could run it, and it forced people to evaluate the rules.

It was a win/win.

Loved Coach Tark too. But he wasn't Deano.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The Aztecs pursued Coach Tark in the 90s but there was too much baggage and eventually they landed Coach Fisher.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

I remember a guy from our High School, Mike Milke went to UNLV in 75....he was the best I'd seen in person at that level of competition....might have been in Tarks second recruiting class

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                  X