• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Bye Bye Dan Feeney

I’m kinda happy the Bolts don’t have to make a decision on you. You aren’t very good, but you play every game.

NY Jets: Initial grade and analysis for the Dan Feeney signing

by Justin Fried11 hours ago Follow @JustinTFriedThe NY Jets went into the offseason looking to bolster their offensive line. And on Thursday, they at least added a little depth in the form of Dan Feeney.

Feeney spent the first four seasons of his career with the Los Angeles Chargers serving as a durable and versatile starter along the offensive line.

But given his struggles in Los Angeles, that likely isn’t the role he’s going to be asked to fill with the Jets. Instead, the Jets will look for Feeney to serve as a reliable backup at multiple spots along the offensive line.

Think of this as the Josh Andrews signing of the offseason or as their replacement for Pat Elflein after the former Jets’ guard signed on with the Carolina Panthers earlier in the week.
    Dan Feeney provides offensive line depth for the NY Jets

A third-round pick of the Chargers in the 2017 NFL Draft, Feeney stepped into a starting role in his rookie season after former Jets’ draft pick, Matt Slauson, went down with an injury.

And given that he was just a mid-round rookie thrust into a starting role, he played quite well down the stretch for the Chargers. Feeney earned a respectable 60.8 Pro Football Focus grade that ranked 44th out of all guards in the NFL.

It was enough to earn him a full-time promotion the following season after the departure of Slauson. However, Feeney would never match that same level of production again.

Feeney’s play slipped in 2018 and 2019 as he ranked 70th (out of 77 qualifiers) and 66th (out of 83 qualifiers) at his position in each of the next two seasons. He wasn’t exactly a starting-caliber player — but at least he was durable.

And on a beat-up Chargers offensive line, that was enough to keep him in the starting lineup.

Feeney once again started all 16 games in 2020 marking 57 consecutive starts dating back to his rookie season. This time, Feeney shifted over to center following an injury to Mike Pouncey in training camp.

The 26-year-old’s two best traits are durability and versatility. He’s started 57 career games and never sat out due to injury over the course of his entire NFL career.

And given his starting experience at both guard and center, it’s safe to say that general manager Joe Douglas was intrigued by his versatility.

Moreover, Feeney found his most success in Los Angeles when asked to pull and get out into the second level on screens. He struggled mightily in pass protection, but he’s a fairly athletic lineman who is best when blocking in space.

That makes him a perfect fit for new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur’s zone-blocking scheme that emphasizes athleticism and lateral mobility along the offensive line.

If Feeney is asked to be a start (highly unlikely given his $3.5 million salary), the Jets might be in trouble. But assuming this is just a move to solidify their offensive line depth, then it’s a worthwhile addition.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Feeney followed the trajectory of too many Charger players during the McCoy/Lynn eras: looked good the first season, then regressed.

That's why both head coaches are no longer here.

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

Im very happy to say goodbye Feeney.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

I will miss his sense of style.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

“Interior Clary 2.0”
          So long Feeney, thanks for trying, I don’t think you were done any favors by our coaching staff and I don’t think you had any chance at OC.
          But you were tough enough to start and rise to the challenge and that’s leaps and bounds better than Lamp.
          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I’m probably wrong, but Feeney probably had the most consecutive games played and most snaps played of any Charger over the last 4 years. He was a warrior if nothing else.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• JPPT1974
              May Day 2024!
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Well hope he can find a team that will be needing his services! Good luck!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

That’s a very accurate assessment of Feeney that author wrote. I am very impressed.

I had high hopes for Feeney when he was drafted (Lamp, too). He never lived up to those high hopes (Lamp, too). The only issue with his departure is that he and Herbert seemed to really hit it off. But Herbert probably knows that is the way this business goes. And he should be pretty stoked at having a real center next season.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Thank you Feeney... I'm willing to give you the "Lynn" Mulligan... good luck wth the Jets!

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I'm sure if Staley thought some of Feeney's issues could be mitigated by some coaching up, he would have pushed TT to re-sign him...apparently not...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      Feeney followed the trajectory of too many Charger players during the McCoy/Lynn eras: looked good the first season, then regressed.

That's why both head coaches are no longer here.
                      aaron paul what GIF by Breaking Bad
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        That’s a very accurate assessment of Feeney that author wrote. I am very impressed.

I had high hopes for Feeney when he was drafted (Lamp, too). He never lived up to those high hopes (Lamp, too). The only issue with his departure is that he and Herbert seemed to really hit it off. But Herbert probably knows that is the way this business goes. And he should be pretty stoked at having a real center next season.

TG
                        I don’t for a second think Herbert won’t appreciate a better OL. He was a top STEM student, not a communications major
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                        X