• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Analytics

Per ESPNs analytics issue, the Chargers are classified as 'non-believers' along with three other NFL clubs (NYJ, Redskins and Tennessee) and are ranked in the bottom ten of all US pro sports franchises (along with the Lakers).

Here's their analysis:

When it comes to playing the numbers on fourth down, an area in which advanced stats separate the believers from the pagans, Chargers coach Mike McCoy says, "I'm going to go with my gut decision on those things. No one can tell me on a piece of paper this is the right thing or the wrong thing to do." And that close-mindedness shows: Since 2012, San Diego has ranked second-to-last in the league according to win probability gained on fourth-down, which determines how much a team improves its chances of winning by going for it when the metrics recommend it. GM Tom Telesco emphasizes the importance of "good football decisions," based on instincts and "hard old-school scouting." Upon joining the Chargers in 2013, he indicated an openness to bringing stats to his evaluations. But his background is in scouting, and he cut his teeth in an Indianapolis Colts front office led by Bill Polian, who vocally opposes the use of analytics in football, especially in regard to personnel decisions.

Hard to assess what the club really thinks and does simply based on who the decision makers are and statements to the media, but I will confess that I do not see them as being that sophisticated in the field and that I dont see that kind of linear thinking in many aspects of their operation (business, personnel, coaching).

That said, we've discussed on this board some of the issues associated with applying statistical methods to football and its not the complete or exact science portrayed. So not even one NFL team cracks the overall top 10.

But if you look at the teams ranked as believers in the NFL they include SF, NE, Philly and the Ravens. So pardon the pun if I say 'do the math.'

Thoughts?
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

Situational awareness.
    Let the game dictate what plays are called i.e. weather conditions, score, time available, home or away, player availability, field position.
    McCoy has certainly lent himself to being ultraconservative in his first few years here. I'd expect a leap forward in his confidence this year with a ( hopefully) improved O line, better targets( again hopefully) and a stauncher D ( again more hopeful)
    With the money TT has to improve our squad, I expect a better, deeper team. McCoy's approach to 4th downs, and the game in general, will reflect that.
    ( Am I being too optimistic?)

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

If I am understanding this thread right

I think strategy based in analytics and probability and risk reward should always over rule gut feelings in crucial 4th down decisions.

In scouting the analytic approach is not as helpful.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BoltBacker
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Las Vegas, NV
        • Send PM

If that is the case McCoy must have been really pissed when Weddle said F^ck it and went for it on fourth down? Gotta Love his Balls "Weddle's that is. Time for McCoy to grow some.

Comment

• BoltBacker
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Las Vegas, NV
          • Send PM

Joking aside McCoy needs to consider everything when making decisions. That includes analytic's. If he doesn't then he is a dinosaur that will last a couple more years get fired and never get hired again. I hate when coaches say they have blinders on and don't listen to criticism from the outside. There are some intelligent opinions thrown in with the garbage from the media and listening to all opinions can be constructive.

Evolve or die.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Third incarnations on interior olines do not do well in those situations. Its a very indepth situational varience scale that would account for a fith Center second leftgaurd and third right guard performing in 4th and anything yet adjust for that handycap. I would give the Chargers an N/A for the last two year in any analisys like that.

Note no consideration of the opponent, the defense we face or if it likewise applies to us stopping a forth down attempt or surrenders 1st downs vs 4th an anything...
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Onside kick every time. Bam!...we win! :rock:
              sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

No one gets anything out of McCoy he doesn't want to talk about. I don't think that anyone has any idea. TT has said repeatedly that he does use some statistical metrics to evaluate draft picks, although he won't elaborate on them. But I can't see either MM or TT giving away anything as to how much they would or wouldn't use analytics.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

What they say is one thing. What they do is more indicative.

Comment

• Faded blues
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

I also think having the right peices in place would help.

I wouldn't be comfortable going for it with lasts years squad.

Comment

Working...
                    X