What Would You Be OK with the Chargers Giving Up to Move Up for Sewell?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Assuming we had to trade up to #5 with Cinci

Using the JJ draft chart it would cost our 1st (13th - 1150 pts), 2nd (47th - 430 pts) and 3rd (97th - 112 pts) round picks to trade up to #5 (1700) with Cinci

Using the Fitzgerald-Spielberger Chart it would cost our 1st (13th - 1700), 5th (159th - 431), and 6th round pick (185th - 354) for their #5 (5th overall 2184) and 6th round picks (202nd - 341)

Using the Havard Chart - 1st (13th - 276.8) and 4th (118 - 82.6) for their 1st (5th - 357.9)

Even though I don't think they really need Sewell, I am not sure they would do it anyway. While Cinci has some OT, they might play him at OG. He is a dominant close quarters mauler as well as having the ability to play in space. While he could be one of the OT in football, he might be an even better OG, sort of the Larry Allen sense.
    Yep...not only that, but they could start Sewell out at G, but if one of their T's gets injured, he could swing right out...if I were the Bengals, I would draft Sewell as a swing T-G, then double up on IOL in round 3 or 4...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Depends on where he falls. I'm not trading up to number 3 to get him and trading a bunch of picks but if he falls number 9 I got no problem giving up a third.
      This is where I am at. No future firsts, no seconds or even worse a second and fifth. But if for some reason he slips to 9 -- I would be good using the third rounder to get him.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

If he were to somehow fall to where we pick, I'd hope we would sprint to the podium to make the pick. But we have too many needs and aside and the bust/injury risk to put all your eggs on one player is too steep. The only position that I would make an exception for would be a QB.

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

We pick at 13 and there should be a cluster of folks that can help us. I don’t see an reason to give up a player, yes a draft pick is a player, to move up. Now if the front office doesn’t think there are 13 guys with a true 1st round grade that could help us then a move would be worth it. 13 is a pretty good spot though

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            If he were to somehow fall to where we pick, I'd hope we would sprint to the podium to make the pick. But we have too many needs and aside and the bust/injury risk to put all your eggs on one player is too steep. The only position that I would make an exception for would be a QB.
            Other than the 3rd and I can take that a bit because the Chargers have the extra third. But personally, I do not trust Telesco to identify a player worth moving up for based on his history.

Plus I look at the roster besides LT still see CB, S, IOL, IDL TE and probably another CB. So, giving up draft capital for one player when the team has a chance to really fill a lot of needs with those 5 picks in first 115 or so - I am on the side of pragmatic. But if its the extra third as Sewell gets to around 9 or 10 - that is doable to me. Still would prefer if he can, trade back down, not up.

Comment

• bman6555
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Our 1st + 2nd gets us easily to the 8-10 including a premium for the seller (heck our first 3rd gets us to #9 at just above even on the Johnson chart), and I wouldn't offer any higher than the 2nd.

A few things have to happen to make this realistic though, Pick #4 is a QB (whether Atlanta takes them or trade out) as we can't compete with offers for teams coming up for a QB, Cincy takes Chase/Pitts, and then Carolina or Denver are not enamored with Mac Jones or whoever else is available and instead want the extra picks.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

This draft is deep in LT talent. They may not all be on the level Sewell, but the Bolts will be in position to draft a pretty good one with the picks they have. The best LT the Chargers have had this century, who anchored the best OL in the NFL in his prime, was drafted in the middle of the 2nd round.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

So glad Lynn won our last 4 games only to get the same fate. At one point before that win streak we were picking 4th...and in trade down, get multiple picks territory.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    This draft is deep in LT talent. They may not all be on the level Sewell, but the Bolts will be in position to draft a pretty good one with the picks they have. The best LT the Chargers have had this century, who anchored the best OL in the NFL in his prime, was drafted in the middle of the 2nd round.
                    Agreed. Telesco can really build up the entire roster with those 5 picks in R1-4. With his track record, he needs more picks not less

Personally I have said it and will say it again, trading up as a GM is easy. its like pushing cap out - anybody can do that. But what GM can be patient, let the board come to you and be PREPARED when your team is on the clock to fill out the roster with the talent there when you pick.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

So glad Lynn won our last 4 games only to get the same fate. At one point before that win streak we were picking 4th...and in trade down, get multiple picks territory.
                      I did want them to win at least one against the Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs - but that Falcons game - Matty Ice was in FG range or close to it and throws a pick. Uggh.... I knew losing games was the best thing for the bigger picture of the franchise. Hate to say it but its true. Even being top 8 right now ahead of Denver

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I did want them to win at least one against the Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs - but that Falcons game - Matty Ice was in FG range or close to it and throws a pick. Uggh.... I knew losing games was the best thing for the bigger picture of the franchise. Hate to say it but its true. Even being top 8 right now ahead of Denver
                        Yep, dont know why he got that nicname, im not a big fan of his. He has some pretty decent stats but to me he has quietly done that.
                        @ 35 he has some gas left but they should be wanting a QB too plus his contract is ridiculous. With that gas left id be shopping him in hopes someone bites.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-29-2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Yep, dont know why he got that nicname, im not a big fan of his. He has some pretty decent stats but to me he has quietly dont that. @ 35 he has some gas left but they should be wanting a QB too plus his contract is ridiculous. With that gas left id be shopping him in hopes someone bites.
                          I am not sure they can even afford to trade Matt Ryan now - since they re-did his deal. $40m of dead cap space after this year. I would have kicked every other can I could kick if I were the Falcons before kicking Ryans can one more year. The probably should draft a rookie - let him sit and just waive Ryan next year and move on.

Comment

Working...
                          X