• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

In Memoriam of the Murph!

Found this nice video of the demolition of the Murph! Thought I'd share for all of those with memories from the past!

:hello:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

• gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Found another one!

:Beer1:

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

i used to fly in from san jose and take the trolley on gameday. it was a short bus ride from the airport to the trolley station and then the trolley would right up to the stadium. fun times.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Many years of great memories come to mind. A part of my past is gone forever. Damn the politicians and the Spanos for not taking care of business in San Diego.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

It would be exciting IF they were building a new NFL Stadium. I guess the new Aztecs stadium will be nice but doubt its up to NFL Standards for a SB or another team. But i do hope they get those college bowl games back.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-08-2021, 11:56 AM.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Grew up as a youngin wandering around the Murph with my best friend at the time throwing a mini charger football....those were such different times! Fouts and crew put on a helluva show in the late 70s when i went to games there.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

My first time there was a Padres game in 1973. First Charger game was 1976 I believe. WHEW.......great times.......

Comment

• BoltBacker
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Las Vegas, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                It would be exciting IF they were building a new NFL Stadium. I guess the new Aztecs stadium will be nice but doubt its up to NFL Standards for a SB or another team. But i do hope they get those college bowl games back.
                It will be interesting to see what the cost of the Aztec stadium ends up costing compared to what a joint venture with the Chargers would have run. Will the city end up saving in the long run? I doubt it. Especially throwing in the revenue that is now gone forever.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post

It will be interesting to see what the cost of the Aztec stadium ends up costing compared to what a joint venture with the Chargers would have run. Will the city end up saving in the long run? I doubt it. Especially throwing in the revenue that is now gone forever.
                  I think the school is paying for this one. Not sure though, can't see the City pitching in for an SDSU stadium and not a NFL stadium.

But no idea. Maybe they will be because of bowl games.
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                  181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                  225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post

Frankly, not really. The new stadium will be sized appropriately for a G5 school, so a comparison to a Super Bowl ready place is not possible. There won't be a lot of frills with the place but supposedly it can be brought up to NFL standards if a team does get awarded to San Diego in the future. I have a feeling that SDSU and the Chargers had no plan on being a co-venture in the Mission Valley site at anytime. The City neglected maintenance of the stadium for years, and made very little in rent as well, and probably didn't end up positive with the sale of the property, and is still stuck with the maintenance of roads in the area.

I'll have good and bad memories of the games at the stadium, but glad its not just standing there reminding everyone of it being empty. It was time to move on.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Frankly, not really. The new stadium will be sized appropriately for a G5 school, so a comparison to a Super Bowl ready place is not possible. There won't be a lot of frills with the place but supposedly it can be brought up to NFL standards if a team does get awarded to San Diego in the future. I have a feeling that SDSU and the Chargers had no plan on being a co-venture in the Mission Valley site at anytime. The City neglected maintenance of the stadium for years, and made very little in rent as well, and probably didn't end up positive with the sale of the property, and is still stuck with the maintenance of roads in the area.

I'll have good and bad memories of the games at the stadium, but glad its not just standing there reminding everyone of it being empty. It was time to move on.
                      What? You don't want this being a tourist destination like the Roman colosseum 500 years from now as a mecca for NFL football? LOL!

:hello:

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

would be interesting to see the tourist $$ changes (if any) after Chargers left

I miss SD, AU outback was fun, now at the QLD beaches best in world but SD was my fav city.

Comment

Working...
                        X