• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I don't think Mariota is even that good.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The visit is scheduled for April 15. Lots can happen between now and then. I think its just 'due diligence' in case the bottom falls out from MM and all of a sudden, he's available at #17. I can't believe that PR would just give up what he loves to do without reaching the pinnacle of the sport, and probably wouldn't bother him at all, from his experience with Flutie, Brees and himself in the QB room.

Comment

• Highboltage
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Maybe the Chargers already know what River's plans are. Maybe if he has more injury issues this season he's done.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          I don't think Mariota is even that good.
          same here.....Mark Sanchez redux
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Due diligence. Every position is scouted, as is every player.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Due diligence. Every position is scouted, as is every player.
              It likely is, but then only 3 of 32 teams are doing their due diligence.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post

Marcus Mariota to work out for Buccaneers, Jets, Chargers

Oregon's pro day might not have been what former Ducks quarterback Marcus Mariota was hoping for, but his opportunities to leave a better final impression on various NFL clubs haven't run out.

The Heisman Trophy winner has scheduled private workouts with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on March 16, the New York Jets on March 28 and the San Diego Chargers on April 15, according to a College Football 24/7 source. The Buccaneers hold the No. 1 overall pick of the NFL draft and are in need of a quarterback. Mariota's workout there could help the club decide between he and Florida State's Jameis Winston as the No. 1 pick of the draft.

According to the source, Mariota also has scheduled a visit to Buccaneers' facility on April 9. The Buccaneers have already hosted Winston for a visit at the team facility.

The Jets also have a quarterback need, and hold the No. 6 pick of the draft.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  It likely is, but then only 3 of 32 teams are doing their due diligence.
                  From what I read, quite a few GMs, one head coach and a mess of front office people from various NFL teams all attended the Oregon pro-day and checked Mariota out already. Maybe Chargers did not go to that, hence the private workout?

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Nope Charbers Dline coach Don Johnson worked out Arik Armstead...

That said if we are shopping for a QB, why bring in only one. No love for Huntley?
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      I think Rivers may be retiring now that i think about it. Hes very close with Hardwick. Players are retiring these days somewhat early.
                      The guys retiring early these days are not top flight QBs. They are injury riddled backups like Locker. Willis is 30, coming off a bad injury, and decided to hang em up before his melon is scrambled. Worilds apparently has decided to devote his life to God. I don't see this as having much in common to Rivers at all. Look how long QBs are playing these days.....longer than ever actually. The rules have protected them more than ever, the money is great, and as long as the competitive fires burning, they keep on playing.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

So I've seen Marcus play in person quite a bit over the last 3 years and will admit I have some bias, but I think given the right scenario he can excel in this league. He is not NFL ready at this point due to the system Oregon runs, but the guys has the work ethic, football IQ, physical gifts and passion to succeed in this league. The best scenario for him outside landing in Philly would be to sit behind a great QB and learn everything that comes with the position at this level for a year or 2. He needs work on taking snaps from center, calling plays in a huddle, and reading defenses but he is definitely intelligent enough to be able to handle all of that while being humble enough to know that the guy he is learning from knows what he is talking about and needs to be listened to. If Rivers could play 2 more years and then Mariota took over I think he would be very successful.
                        That being said this could also be just to get Marcus' view on another player coming out of Oregon. His best friend on the team is also coming out this year, Hroniss Grasu at Center. Grabbing him in the third would let us slide Watt to RG. Just another possibility to think about.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Mariota needs some work as a classic QB. But all his issues are fairly easy fixes. It is just going to take getting the reps in practice. It also may mean that he is going to have to be protected some early on. Either he doesn't start, or you don't ask him to make all the throws downfield.

AS far as him getting through to us, there is no way that happens. I don't think we can even trade for him, even if we wanted to. Too many other teams up there that have QB needs. And I am not convinced that Mariotta doesn't go 1st overall. Winston has a great arm, but does he read defenses as well? Does he make decisions as well? Those are thing that I am not sure that young QB can learn completely. So what Winston has as an advantage over Mariotta in some areas, I think he gives up in others. And I don't think either is anywhere near an Andrew Luck as a prospect. But I still expect them to go 1-2, although who might take them could be up for grabs.

Comment

Working...
                          X