• Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

Ladarius Green

After signing Stevie Johnson to go along with FLoyd and Keenan Allen one thing has not changed. Ladarius Green is still the fastest receiving threat on the Chargers, it isn't even close. Why he is not a bigger weapon for San Diego is anyones guess. Did he regress? Does McCoy not know how to develop a young TE? The Chargers are not loaded with talent and can't afford not to use what they have. By Telesco not going after a TE in free agency and Gates being 35 yrs OLD that is a huge message saying he expects Green to be that guy. So why isn't he?

I feel his lack of use/production was my biggest disappointment of things under the teams control this past season.
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Its all right in front of him, LG needs to take advantage of this.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I thought I read somewhere (maybe here) that Green was having issues progressing in McCoy's system, thus, the coaches couldn't really trust him.

Comment

• BoltBacker
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Las Vegas, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
        I thought I read somewhere (maybe here) that Green was having issues progressing in McCoy's system, thus, the coaches couldn't really trust him.
        I can see that which is why I thought maybe a free agent TE was a possibility. Weak draft for TE's also. So they must think Green can make it.

MY concern was that Rivers loves his vets and his dependence on Gates will never go away which unfortunately stunts the growth of young players. But Keenan Allen was an exception as a rookie so who knows?

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

TT reportedly tried to sign Virgil Green. FWIW.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
            After signing Stevie Johnson to go along with FLoyd and Keenan Allen one thing has not changed. Ladarius Green is still the fastest receiving threat on the Chargers, it isn't even close. Why he is not a bigger weapon for San Diego is anyones guess. Did he regress? Does McCoy not know how to develop a young TE? The Chargers are not loaded with talent and can't afford not to use what they have. By Telesco not going after a TE in free agency and Gates being 35 yrs OLD that is a huge message saying he expects Green to be that guy. So why isn't he?

I feel his lack of use/production was my biggest disappointment of things under the teams control this past season.
            From what I have heard reported numerous times, he doesn't run very good routes and can't block so with Gates staying healthy for the entire season, there was just no where for him to play.

Comment

• BoltBacker
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Las Vegas, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              From what I have heard reported numerous times, he doesn't run very good routes and can't block so with Gates staying healthy for the entire season, there was just no where for him to play.
              Well Gates can't block either or better said just does not like to anymore. Gates can still do damage but he puts little fear into the opposition. He is always a threat in the red zone and picking up third downs but that is the extent at his age. Reminds me of Charlie Joiner towards the end of his career, the guy was so damn good catching the ball that it kept anyone from taking his place, didn't matter that he was slower than dirt. If he was the only receiver like that then ok. But the Chargers have no take it to the house threats at any receiver position, a bunch of really good mid range receivers.

Ladarius made more big plays two years ago than last season, did he get worse? Or did the Gates getting the job done just make it easy to forget the young guy. Gates last year of contract this year, are we going to re-sign a 36yr old TE? Better start developing Green then or move on and quit wasting our time teasing him.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

From the interest TT showed in that FA TE, guessing the team views Green as not the heir apparent to Gates.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Green did not develop as planned, but our OC has to figure out how to use his speed.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The other thing that happened last year was that Metzalaars got hired as the TE coach. He has a good background as an NFL coach (Colts and Bills) and player (Bills TE during SB years) but he has always been more of a blocker then a receivers coach. In fact most of his coaching experience is as an OL coach, not TE coach. He has always been very demanding, but the combination of Royal (now Stevie Johnson) as other options as the 3rd WR/other TE spot, it makes it tough to get a guy who is adjusting to all the stuff around him to make that next step up.

In the end, I just hope Green knuckles down and spends all spring/summer in SD, working on his craft. Running routes, catches passes and working on his blocking, at least as far as that is possible by himself.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      I've only seen it 'reported' here. The official line from MM last year when asked about Green not getting more opportunity was Royal and Gates were playing at such a high level they couldn't justify taking 1 out to feature Green. We'll see if they go 2 TE this year to tweak offense away from Mathews centered and include Green more.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        From the interest TT showed in that FA TE, guessing the team views Green as not the heir apparent to Gates.
                        or Phillips and David Johnson are not figuring heavily in the offensive scheme design for this year and they need to upgrade THEM, not Green?
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                        X