Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Chargers injuries were worst in AFC, 2nd to last only to Giants

According to Football Outsiders

Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-17-2015, 07:15 PM.
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

thCATALK34.jpg

Charger Medical Staff
    sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

A simple plan for Jason Verrett: Stay healthy
      March, 18, 2015
      Mar 18
      10:01
      AM ET
      By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- At this point a year ago, Jason Verrett's right shoulder was in a sling after having the first of two shoulder surgeries in 2014 to repair torn labrums -- one in each shoulder.

But on this day, at an NFL Play 60 event at Poway High School, like the aspiring young football players he put through defensive back drills, Verrett’s energy and anticipation are building toward the upcoming season, with the San Diego Chargers set to begin offseason workouts at the end of April.

Verrett said he can do all the lifts required to strengthen his shoulders.

"I’m feeling good, real good," said Verrett, smiling and rotating his shoulder for emphasis. "I’m staying on top of the rehab, lifting and doing everything I can to get back healthy. I’m real flexible with it. I’m just happy that I’m at the point where I’m at now, and it’s definitely getting back stronger."

Added Chargers general manager Tom Telesco: "His rehab is coming along really well. He’s ahead of schedule according to the doctors. And he should be ready to go."

Verrett’s goal for 2015 is simple: Play a full 16-game season. The Chargers have not had two starting cornerbacks play a full 16-game season since Antoine Cason and Quentin Jammer accomplished that feat in 2012.

Through the first half of the season, when both Verrett and Brandon Flowers were healthy, opposing quarterbacks had a 71.3 passer rating when throwing against San Diego’s starting cornerbacks, according to Pro Football Focus.

The Chargers brought back Verrett’s "big bro" Flowers on a four-year, $36 million deal in free agency, giving the Chargers one of the best cornerback tandems in the AFC West.

Verrett suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder in a game against Oakland last season, and had surgery in November. He had surgery in March 2014 to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder, suffered during his final season at TCU.

Verrett’s reps were monitored during training camp last year to make sure he made it to the regular season healthy; he often wore a red jersey to signal "no contact" during practice.

When healthy, Verrett’s play in 2014 was impressive. However, he was in just six games, finishing with 18 tackles, and he had one interception, which helped seal a win against the Raiders.

"He came in light years ahead of most rookies from a mental makeup, his mindset and professionalism," said All-Pro safety Eric Weddle, one of Verrett's mentors. "He was eager to learn, eager to listen and wanted to get on the field. He wants to be great. It was just awesome to be around a young guy who wanted to put in the work, would listen and would get mad because he wanted to make a play.

"Physically, he can run like the wind. He has that top-end speed. Not many people can run like that. But he’s also cat-quick and confident. He wants the ball to come his way."

This offseason, Verrett returned to the EXOS training facility, in nearby Carlsbad, California, to continue his rehabilitation and training regimen. He trained there for the NFL scouting combine last year, which helped him achieve eye-popping numbers in Indianapolis.

Verrett finished among the top performers at cornerback in the 40-yard dash (4.38 seconds), the vertical jump (39 inches), the three-cone drill (6.69 seconds) and the 20-yard shuttle (4.00 seconds).

Verrett’s training partner at EXOS, New Orleans Saints receiver Brandin Cooks, also impressed at the combine, running a 4.33 40-yard time. Cooks’ performance came as no surprise to Verrett. The two returned to train at EXOS for a second straight year.

"They were actually supposed to be in separate groups," said Roy Holmes, a trainer at EXOS. "But they kept switching each other around to make sure they were training with each other. So they got used to being extremely competitive, so when Jason put his hand down on the line, you could see it was a totally different focus."

"That’s my dog," Verrett said about Cooks. "Me and Cooks are like brothers. We clicked up real fast when we were training for the combine. So after the season he dealt with a thumb injury, we both decided to go back to EXOS. And now we’re grinding, going back at it."

Along with his injury history, at 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, Verrett still has questions to answer about his ability to consistently cover bigger receivers. But if the six-game sample size is a predictor of future success, Verrett is well on his way.

"It was just a way to show a little something out there," he said about his performance last season. "I got my feet wet a little bit. But I’m definitely going to be more excited once I’m 100 percent.

"It’s just learning more. I feel like if you stop learning, you’ll lose what you’re able to do out there on the field. So my focus is on continuing to get better, studying film and taking care of my body."

And for Verrett, his availability on game days is the key to his success in 2015.

"The biggest thing for him is to stay healthy," Weddle said. "This is a big-boy league where you have to be physical, you have to keep your body right and be able to take that toll physically. But if anybody can do it, he can. He’s a smart kid."
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Glad to see him training with Cooks. Brandin was the WR I wanted with our first pick last year, largely because of his work ethic and character.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Hopefully next season we are one of the teams with the least injuries for a change. Having a great season perhaps going to a SB .....especially winning one will help with the stadium and Rivers signing an extention.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

As Trusted uncle Fester would say, "NO EXCUSE!"

Or,

Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
            X