• Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

"Lies that life is black and white, spoke from my skull..."

Staley has a very mixed record after Byes.

Can he come up with wizardry, to stop the potent Cowboy offense.

As a players coach, really all Staley can do is count on big performances from the returning Derwin, Austin and Joey.

What could go wrong ?

I was so much older then,
    I'm even older now.

Chargering.
    Make it stop.
    Simplify it. The evidence is there for all to see.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

I think the new OC concerns are overblown. Herbert is a established guy and if we bring in enough talented guys it wont matter. Rivers played well with many OCs as did guys like Brady and Manning. What we need is more speed on offense and almost any comptent OC can figure out the rest. We have the biggest issue to any new Offense being successful in place already and thats our QB and OL group.

The OC has to understand every offensive players strengths and weaknesses and how they all mesh as a unit.

Sure, if it was just Herbert, as you say, it wouldn’t be that big a deal, but of course it’s not….it’s every player including practice squad and how some mightbe in development stage and some might be going out the door next season.

It’s light years more complex than you suggest, IMO. Changing OC is not to be trivialized. Same for DC. I could actually argue, the OC and DC are more important than HC.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Staley's downfall will be the D, not the O or the 4th down calls. It just isn't good after 2 1/4 seasons despite the star power.

The play of the corners, in particular, is just killing us.

We know about JC Jackson's struggles. He allowed 13 of 27 passes to be completed (46.2%) and one TD for an opposing QB rating of 72.0.

But what about our other corners?

Michael Davis has allowed 23 of 32 passes to be completed (71.9%) and has allowed 3 TDs for an opposing QB rating of 133.9.

Ja'Sir Taylor has allowed 13 of 21 passes to be completed (61.9%) has allowed 0 TDs for an opposing QB rating of 92.4.

Asante Samuel has allowed 17 of 25 passes to be completed (68.0%) has allowed 0 TDs for an opposing QB rating of 75.7.

The irony is we are running the guy allowing the lowest completion percentage and QB rating out the door while the others are playing even worse. I am in no way defending Jackson here, but our corner play has been awful and Davis has been a far bigger liability than Jackson was.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

We do know that the Chargers will have to play significantly better than they did against the Raiders to beat the Cowboys or Chiefs.
          The defense did it's job first half against the raiders and left out to dry by the offense who failed to get any points of even first downs until the clutch throw by Herbert to ice the game.
          the defense was rightly exhausted and should never be put in those positions. Ala Jags PO game.
          I don't have TOP on me but I'm sure there was a huge difference between first and second half.

sure it was against a rookie qb but improvement nonetheless.
          Great on 3rd down, great passrushing and solid safety play with a mixed bag at CB.

I expect a defensive battle against the cowgirls.
          2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Actually, the Bolts held their own against their opening day game against Miami, maybe could’ve won it. Miami dismantled their next opponents until the Bills cooled their heels. Kahil Mack is my hero on this team and such an influence. Do we really have to get rid of him after this season? Gawd. He’s a rock on defense. Such a class act. My favorite Charger besides Herbert. Best offseason acquisition TT has made. I’m not ashamed to admit it. I gots me some man love for old man Kahil Mack.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
              Actually, the Bolts held their own against their opening day game against Miami, maybe could’ve won it. Miami dismantled their next opponents until the Bills cooled their heels. Kahil Mack is my hero on this team and such an influence. Do we really have to get rid of him after this season? Gawd. He’s a rock on defense. Such a class act. My favorite Charger besides Herbert.
              And Mack is durable compared to Bosa who always seems to have a crippling injury.

I would jettison Bosa before Mack.

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

And Mack is durable compared to Bosa who always seems to have a crippling injury.

I would jettison Bosa before Mack.
                Blasphemy!!! But ya, sorta. Mack > Bosa. Heh, but then again…Bosa plays 3 snaps, gets 2 sacks. Hard to argue with that.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                  Actually, the Bolts held their own against their opening day game against Miami, maybe could’ve won it. Miami dismantled their next opponents until the Bills cooled their heels. Kahil Mack is my hero on this team and such an influence. Do we really have to get rid of him after this season? Gawd. He’s a rock on defense. Such a class act. My favorite Charger besides Herbert. Best offseason acquisition TT has made. I’m not ashamed to admit it. I gots me some man love for old man Kahil Mack.
                  I've really appreciated Mack's quiet veteran/pro approach. And yes, he has been durable. But can't ignore his age. Let's see how he does the rest of the way, I am concerned that he may disappear a bit down the stretch especially after the monster game he just had.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I've really appreciated Mack's quiet veteran/pro approach. And yes, he has been durable. But can't ignore his age. Let's see how he does the rest of the way, I am concerned that he may disappear a bit down the stretch especially after the monster game he just had.
                    The idea is to have a rotation with the 4 guys. If Bosa would get his shit together and be one of the 4 it would help. Also, some blow outs would go a long way towards resting the older guys.

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

I bet this game against the Cowboys will prove interesting. The Chargers will NOT be blown out like Dallas’s game against the Giants. Ekeler will return and just watch out, Cowboys. The O-line blocks better for Ekeler than Kelly, but watch out for both! Looking forward to Ekeler’s air guitar after a TD. Everything’s better with Blue Bonnet on it.
                      Last edited by Caslon; 10-06-2023, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Re: Mack love.

I can't remember loving a Chargers FA as much as I do KM.
                        Everything about him on and off the field.
                        I can see why Staley banged the table so hard for him despite his age and 2nd round compensation.
                        I even loved his early work in Family Matters.
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• rensoul
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Staley's downfall will be the D, not the O or the 4th down calls. It just isn't good after 2 1/4 seasons despite the star power.

The play of the corners, in particular, is just killing us.

We know about JC Jackson's struggles. He allowed 13 of 27 passes to be completed (46.2%) and one TD for an opposing QB rating of 72.0.

But what about our other corners?

Michael Davis has allowed 23 of 32 passes to be completed (71.9%) and has allowed 3 TDs for an opposing QB rating of 133.9.

Ja'Sir Taylor has allowed 13 of 21 passes to be completed (61.9%) has allowed 0 TDs for an opposing QB rating of 92.4.

Asante Samuel has allowed 17 of 25 passes to be completed (68.0%) has allowed 0 TDs for an opposing QB rating of 75.7.

The irony is we are running the guy allowing the lowest completion percentage and QB rating out the door while the others are playing even worse. I am in no way defending Jackson here, but our corner play has been awful and Davis has been a far bigger liability than Jackson was.

If every CB is struggling and the pass rush is actually pretty good then something is going on. Players are confused or being asked to do things they are not good at would be my guess.

Doesn't make sense for the entire CB group to play poorly at the same time if there is a good pass rush.

Comment

Working...
                          X