• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

No offense, but I'm sure glad you weren't drafting for us. You lose all credibility with your analysis of pick 118. You're not sure about his level of competition? LOL.... Last time I checked the ACC is a pretty damn good conference.

FYI....NASirildeen... I don't really get your love affair with this guy because he is strictly a box safety. He couldn't cover a pylon. My .02
    with all due apologies to the some of you, as know I should prolly just leave things alone, and just can’t help my self with a bit of back ‘n forth…. no offense Panama.

first up, will say you’re right re: my take on Rumph as “level of competition” wasn’t really what I was after as my thought was more that he didn’t play at a top shelf program, so there is always the question as to why didn’t he play at one of the more name programs, and given…. plenty of good players don’t…. just a mention/something that could give one pause ??

will also add that have never claimed to be an NFL savant, as many here have a storehouse of football smarts/knowledge that dwarf my learning curve, however like most here, would say that I make my share of contributions to the board, of which of late would proffer that not only was I one of, if not the first over the last coupla few years to start really raising the flag that the Chargers need to start to learn to stockpile draft picks as opposed to trading up and coming out w/the five or six picks rather than with what some teams are able to do with acquired selections running into double figures, and now…. isn’t Telesco boasting/touting more than once that we’re gonna have close to if not 20 picks over the course of these two years…. coincidence ??

am fairly sure that some of our NFL/Chargers’ brass read these boards as one of my first smirks, was when I had volunteered that what I didn’t really care for about PR was that he was a bit “chirpy,” and lo and behold, tuning into some NFL not long after, it was Steve Young on tv that answered in just the such as to what it was that turned him off with PR, and his answer was that he thought he was “chirpy.”

again…. ‘twas just coincidence, or do more peoples read these boards than many might suspect.

hence my retort to what I might consider a rather boy howdy response, not to mention being an old, tired and worn out dig to what I think is a pretty decent ensemble of draft picks, regardless of others’ opinions.

will also add that in the Powder Blues GMD that I sucked so bad that as the Green Bay GM I picked the player that they would have if still on the board in Kadarius Toney and also nailed their second round pick, and…. ditto for Denver in that I suggested they go all in on D and get an RB, which is exactly what they did, and…. didn’t really follow up/hear much about the WFT draft, albeit did see that although Zaven Collins was off the board, they did go LB round one w/Jamin…. was “really” off on that selection as well eye guess ??

and to close out this drivel, will proffer my sorry suck ass, lousy assortment of picks against team Tommy Johns…. and if you/PM want to add some of your own, have @it.

Zaven > Rashawn * everybody loves Rashawn, but really think he’s a guard when all is said and done, albeit he will well fill our need of a starting LT, and…. just really love Zaven Collins and still woulda gonna LB over our need @LT (and again, w/all due respect to the Duke Mayweathers of this draft world)

Stokes & Rondale Moore > Asante * again don’t doubt that Samuel will well fill a need for us, but do question his intangibles just a bit, and in comparison love Stokes’ intangibles, who btw is someone that PM laughed and joined in w/an NFLer who panned the pick, and do think RM could be crazy darn good

Josh Myers > Kelvin Joseph * once upon a time everyone was per usual lovin’ life before the season started, but the some of us were more than a little concerned w/a perceived vulnerability w/our vet and injury prone pair of Okung and Pouncey, and of whom as it turned out derailed what coulda, shoulda and woulda been a successful season, and…. lo and behold young team Tommy John has left themselves exposed again w/a vet injury prone OC in Corey Linsley, which heightens my interest in the said Josh Myers, who might of come off the board a round early as woulda preferred him @77 or even @97, but just pluggin’ these guys in @where they went off the board, and…. still would take him over PM’s guy KJ, as don’t have a huge problem playin’ Qberry for a bit, but do think without Linsley we’ll prolly fall short of any SB goals.

Josh Palmer * as mentioned in my review of JP, am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Ambry Thomas > Tre McKitty * don’t know the so much of the either of these guys, but did think Thomas woulda been a valuable add to this defensive secondary, and by the looks/sound of things, we coulda prolly waited on McKitty to get him later on day three.

Tyler Shelvin/Daviyon Nixon > Chris Rumph * think Rumph might be alright if he plays at his lighter weight, but woulda much preferred reinforcements to the Dline as think we need(ed) to hedge our bets w/Joseph, and/or replace DSquare w/far more than Fehoko.

Brenden Jaimes * like this guy a bit and am looking forward to seeing what he can add to our Oline

Hamsah Nasirildeen >> Nick Niemann * bummed we missed out on Hamsah and will be very surprised if he doesn’t add more to someone’s roster that our Dzubnar 2.0

Trey Smith >> Rountree * understand the logic behind opting for a short yardage back who is durable and was productive, and…. think we passed on a starting LG…. @the bottom of day three

the any of Kylin Hill, LaBryan Ray, Pro Wells, Dylan Moses > Mark Webb * dude looks good on paper, but do think there was some better talent on the board to close things out.

and again, Panama…. no offense…. you’re prolly one of the more astute football heads here on the tPB, as when I volunteered that MW would go 50/700, you took issue w/the latter, and I didn’t hesitate in admitting as such after the fact (the ouija board has been known to miss and more than just the once), and…. you can cherry pick the above, albeit will gladly take my selections as opposed to team Tommy John, as think they left some valuable talent on the board.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

with all due apologies to the some of you, as know I should prolly just leave things alone, and just can’t help my self with a bit of back ‘n forth…. no offense Panama.

first up, will say you’re right re: my take on Rumph as “level of competition” wasn’t really what I was after as my thought was more that he didn’t play at a top shelf program, so there is always the question as to why didn’t he play at one of the more name programs, and given…. plenty of good players don’t…. just a mention/something that could give one pause ??

will also add that have never claimed to be an NFL savant, as many here have a storehouse of football smarts/knowledge that dwarf my learning curve, however like most here, would say that I make my share of contributions to the board, of which of late would proffer that not only was I one of, if not the first over the last coupla few years to start really raising the flag that the Chargers need to start to learn to stockpile draft picks as opposed to trading up and coming out w/the five or six picks rather than with what some teams are able to do with acquired selections running into double figures, and now…. isn’t Telesco boasting/touting more than once that we’re gonna have close to if not 20 picks over the course of these two years…. coincidence ??

am fairly sure that some of our NFL/Chargers’ brass read these boards as one of my first smirks, was when I had volunteered that what I didn’t really care for about PR was that he was a bit “chirpy,” and lo and behold, tuning into some NFL not long after, it was Steve Young on tv that answered in just the such as to what it was that turned him off with PR, and his answer was that he thought he was “chirpy.”

again…. ‘twas just coincidence, or do more peoples read these boards than many might suspect.

hence my retort to what I might consider a rather boy howdy response, not to mention being an old, tired and worn out dig to what I think is a pretty decent ensemble of draft picks, regardless of others’ opinions.

will also add that in the Powder Blues GMD that I sucked so bad that as the Green Bay GM I picked the player that they would have if still on the board in Kadarius Toney and also nailed their second round pick, and…. ditto for Denver in that I suggested they go all in on D and get an RB, which is exactly what they did, and…. didn’t really follow up/hear much about the WFT draft, albeit did see that although Zaven Collins was off the board, they did go LB round one w/Jamin…. was “really” off on that selection as well eye guess ??

and to close out this drivel, will proffer my sorry suck ass, lousy assortment of picks against team Tommy Johns…. and if you/PM want to add some of your own, have @it.

Zaven > Rashawn * everybody loves Rashawn, but really think he’s a guard when all is said and done, albeit he will well fill our need of a starting LT, and…. just really love Zaven Collins and still woulda gonna LB over our need @LT (and again, w/all due respect to the Duke Mayweathers of this draft world)

Stokes & Rondale Moore > Asante * again don’t doubt that Samuel will well fill a need for us, but do question his intangibles just a bit, and in comparison love Stokes’ intangibles, who btw is someone that PM laughed and joined in w/an NFLer who panned the pick, and do think RM could be crazy darn good

Josh Myers > Kelvin Joseph * once upon a time everyone was per usual lovin’ life before the season started, but the some of us were more than a little concerned w/a perceived vulnerability w/our vet and injury prone pair of Okung and Pouncey, and of whom as it turned out derailed what coulda, shoulda and woulda been a successful season, and…. lo and behold young team Tommy John has left themselves exposed again w/a vet injury prone OC in Corey Linsley, which heightens my interest in the said Josh Myers, who might of come off the board a round early as woulda preferred him @77 or even @97, but just pluggin’ these guys in @where they went off the board, and…. still would take him over PM’s guy KJ, as don’t have a huge problem playin’ Qberry for a bit, but do think without Linsley we’ll prolly fall short of any SB goals.

Josh Palmer * as mentioned in my review of JP, am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Ambry Thomas > Tre McKitty * don’t know the so much of the either of these guys, but did think Thomas woulda been a valuable add to this defensive secondary, and by the looks/sound of things, we coulda prolly waited on McKitty to get him later on day three.

Tyler Shelvin/Daviyon Nixon > Chris Rumph * think Rumph might be alright if he plays at his lighter weight, but woulda much preferred reinforcements to the Dline as think we need(ed) to hedge our bets w/Joseph, and/or replace DSquare w/far more than Fehoko.

Brenden Jaimes * like this guy a bit and am looking forward to seeing what he can add to our Oline

Hamsah Nasirildeen >> Nick Niemann * bummed we missed out on Hamsah and will be very surprised if he doesn’t add more to someone’s roster that our Dzubnar 2.0

Trey Smith >> Rountree * understand the logic behind opting for a short yardage back who is durable and was productive, and…. think we passed on a starting LG…. @the bottom of day three

the any of Kylin Hill, LaBryan Ray, Pro Wells, Dylan Moses > Mark Webb * dude looks good on paper, but do think there was some better talent on the board to close things out.

and again, Panama…. no offense…. you’re prolly one of the more astute football heads here on the tPB, as when I volunteered that MW would go 50/700, you took issue w/the latter, and I didn’t hesitate in admitting as such after the fact (the ouija board has been known to miss and more than just the once), and…. you can cherry pick the above, albeit will gladly take my selections as opposed to team Tommy John, as think they left some valuable talent on the board.
      Rumph II went to Duke for combination of academics and athletics. He had multiple other offers from ACC, SEC, AAC schools. He has a brain that he wanted to exercise and the OHST, BAMA, LSU, UGA, FSU, etc are not even close to the academic standards of a Duke.
      Staley loves high IQ football players.

I too would have drafted different prospects but I strongly disagree with your “this prospect is greater than this prospect”.
      As we all have differing opinions on how they project to the modern NFL game.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Re Stokes: the reason I panned the pick was not Stokes. I like him a lot ... I don't much care for Campbell. The problem with Stokes is his defensive coordinator calls more zone than any other defensive coordinator. Stokes excels in pressman and struggles in zone. Not a good skill set matchup. Is the rest of the D secondary going to play out of their skill set or is he?

Lindsay is injury prone? 4/7 he has played all 16 games. Two years 13/16, one season he played nine because of a hamstring injury had him on the PUP list to start the season. Not exactly what I would call injury prone.

The starting guard that they passed on could very well have been off of their draft board due to medical. None of us are privy to that information but dismissing it out of hand is ridiculous. He obviously fell in many teams eyes for a reason, and I don't believe it it was his skill set.

I'm not sure how you are convinced those defensive linemen are better players than Rumph. Sheldon ilhqs talent but he does have huge weight issues. He has zero stamina. None. The guys already 350 lb before he gets paid. Nixon had an absolutely horrible testing and really faded the back half of last year's season. I for one think that adding to the outside pass rush rotation and a player for special teams coverage was a good call. He has as good or better pass rush moves as anybody in this draft. To say your DL guys are clearly better players is ridiculous.

Neimann... Rangy linebacker good size and speed. Another depth piece with an eye on special teams, which was a major Focus in the back part of this draft. This was driven by Staley. Is he day one starter no... Can he grow into a rotational role while providing benefits to a special teams unit? Absolutely.

Roundtree. Another coach's favorite. Staley loved him. He talked about how much he popped off the tape and watching other players. He excels in pass blocking which he thinks will also translate well to blocking the edge on our fg unit.

I'm not sure that you are taking into account the focus on increasing special teams play factored in. Staley has stressed the importance of being excellent in all three phases of the game, and that all three phases work together. We have had issues with coverages and blocking on special teams for years now. Not only did they feel that these players can grow into positions down the line, but they were also drafted with a focus on competing for jobs on the special team units. In watching all the press conferences it is clear to me that Staley had a lot of input on what he was looking for in this draft. Time will tell if they made the right call.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

I’ll give ya one thing, you fell in love with a set of prospects early in the process and never cheated once. I bet you’re a hella loyal dude.
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
            I’ll give ya one thing, you fell in love with a set of prospects early in the process and never cheated once. I bet you’re a hella loyal dude.
            beach is definitely a loyal dude to prospects/players.
            Shit I can’t believe he hasn’t brought up Danny Shelton or Star Lotulelei lately.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

If you’re worried about Rumph’s level of competition in round 4 shouldn't Zaven’s even lower level of competition worry you at 13? Not that I think he will be a bad prospect but... consistency for how you view prospects doesn’t seem to be there. Also just wondering how you know GB would have gone Toney if he was on the board? Elijah Moore was still on the board at their pick so if they really wanted to go WR I think they would have snatched him up. Kevin King (and coaching) is who cost them a trip to the SB not their WR play for all that people complain on behalf of Rodgers, them going CB didn’t surprise me at all.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Apophenia: the tendency to perceive connections between unrelated things.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  If you’re worried about Rumph’s level of competition in round 4 shouldn't Zaven’s even lower level of competition worry you at 13? Not that I think he will be a bad prospect but... consistency for how you view prospects doesn’t seem to be there. Also just wondering how you know GB would have gone Toney if he was on the board? Elijah Moore was still on the board at their pick so if they really wanted to go WR I think they would have snatched him up. Kevin King (and coaching) is who cost them a trip to the SB not their WR play for all that people complain on behalf of Rodgers, them going CB didn’t surprise me at all.
                  obviously I don't, and.... a friend who is a GBay fan was hellah disappointed that I didn't replace King in my mock draft, and he didn't think a wideout was worthy of a number one pick for them, and that they didn't do that so much in GBay, and ditto for my interest in Josh Myers for that matter, albeit he did half apologize to me, and suggested that maybe my draft wasn't half bad, as according to him/his info.... Toney woulda been their pick if he was on the board still, and that Myers fit their scheme better than Creed, who went just after Myers round two....

by my take, their biggest hole on O was @slot receiver, and given that the both of Kadarius Toney and Rondale Moore were oft slotted @the bottom of round one, thought there was their best gambit, and as Stokes was mostly mocked into day two, albeit w/the occasional exception to round one, and.... he suggested they had plenty of Oline that could play center, but they didn't really have a guy who was pretty much an OC, and personally liked their depth chart better w/someone to spell their loss of Linsley, and that was first and foremost a center, rather than an Elgton Jenkins or Lucas Patrick that might be better players @other positions on the line....

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                    and your take is related to what.... ??

basically got called out as a blowhard.... just throwin' out another opinion, 'specially given that the odds of a Telesco/Staley draft being an avg haul, is prolly more likely than not.

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                    NASirildeen... I don't really get your love affair with this guy because he is strictly a box safety. He couldn't cover a pylon. My .02
                    that's his take, which is usually pretty good/spot on, and.... am eye s'pose to take it as gospel, just coz it came from a ranking member of this forum ??

other peoples' take/my notes >> hard hitting safety w/coverage skills, FFs, can handle deep zone/middle of the field, top 50, 2019 ACL injury.... doesn't sound all bad to me, 'specially @the back of day three, 'n 'specially compared to what for my take is someone I coulda well waited to take my chances as an UDFA.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Rumph II went to Duke for combination of academics and athletics. He had multiple other offers from ACC, SEC, AAC schools. He has a brain that he wanted to exercise and the OHST, BAMA, LSU, UGA, FSU, etc are not even close to the academic standards of a Duke.
                      Staley loves high IQ football players.

I too would have drafted different prospects but I strongly disagree with your “this prospect is greater than this prospect”.
                      As we all have differing opinions on how they project to the modern NFL game.
                      ^ This. Staley is placing his trademark onto the Bolts...memorizing from film study, adaptability, disguising looks, and FUNDAMENTALS--hopefully, no more silly showboating or bonehead blunders by low I.Q. jocks that lose us games...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        Epiphany.

When I realized that everyone on TPB is full of shit,
                        and that Eye fits in jus' fine...
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

It appears to me that the Chargers had something very specific in mind with each selection.

TT/Staley says we were prepared,
                          and I believe the results bear this out.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X