Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Hello from across the Pond

Hey there everyone! Blue Thunder gave me the heads up about this site. I guess it's a bit lonely being an admin on a Board on which the only other "active" poster is Thunder. It's great to see so many familiar names active here. I've known some of you for nearly two decades, and I've missed being able to talk Chargers football with y'all.

That said, I don't know if I'll be able to be very active here. The opera career is taking off, so I have to prioritise that. And I'm getting married in April. (Yes, I proposed in Panama!) The missus, being Brit, doesn't really understand my Chargers fanaticism, so I doubt she'd take too kindly if I spent too much time online. But I look forward to checking in every so often for a lively discussion about the Chargers.

Go Bolts!
    -Panama
    Adipose
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Panama! Welcome aboard. I used to be a regular on your board, even had one of the CFN t-shirts. One of the originals from Vernon's old e-mail list too. Congrats on the nuptials and the opera career, and welcome aboard!

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Send PM

Ah, the good old Bolt-backers list, served out of Carnegie Mellon! Looking back, it seems a bit odd that none of us made a big deal about a Chargers mailing list based in the heart of Steelers country. (Much worse than Thunder's split Chargers/Texans allegiance! ) I wonder what ever became of Vernon. He never did, that I recall, follow us to any of the incarnations of the board that was essentially the Bolt-backers.
      Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Welcome to the board!

No excuses for not being active though! The mobile platform is fantastic. Posting from the can is encouraged.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Hey Panama! It's been a while-----glad to hear you're doing well. Welcome!

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            Hey Panama! It's been a while-----glad to hear you're doing well. Welcome!
            Wait a minute...is this THE Panama we're talking about here? He of "Panama's Board" fame? The old board where many of us cut our posting teeth? The Panama who followed his dream and went to Europe to sing opera? THAT Panama???

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              Wait a minute...is this THE Panama we're talking about here? He of "Panama's Board" fame? The old board where many of us cut our posting teeth? The Panama who followed his dream and went to Europe to sing opera? THAT Panama???
              No. The other Panama.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                Ah, the good old Bolt-backers list, served out of Carnegie Mellon! Looking back, it seems a bit odd that none of us made a big deal about a Chargers mailing list based in the heart of Steelers country. (Much worse than Thunder's split Chargers/Texans allegiance! ) I wonder what ever became of Vernon. He never did, that I recall, follow us to any of the incarnations of the board that was essentially the Bolt-backers.
                Yeah, Vernon was a good guy but I think he was more Steelers fan than Chargers fan. No, I don't think he ever migrated over to the new board format, after his list faded away a new e-mail list was created and managed by a guy who went by "Sparky", but that list died out as the popularity of posting on web-based boards (first with Rivals.com and your board, Chargersfan.net) took off.

Mad Dog (who is also here) kept in touch with Vernon for a bit, I remember back in the late 90s he told me that Vernon came out to San Diego for a visit and was working in the comic book industry drawing or something like that. Not sure if MD still keeps in touch with Vernon. He has disappeared from the Chargers landscape.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Yup Q, that Panama.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                    No. The other Panama.
                    Shut up. You never even met the guy. Go back to complaining about everything.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      Yup Q, that Panama.
                      Thanks, fender.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Is there any other Panama? (Then again, I was surprised to discover there is a Panamamike!)
                        Last edited by Panama; 08-12-2013, 07:53 AM.
                        Adipose

Comment

Working...
                        X