• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I have been on here for a couple of years and have thought to do it 100 times. I guess 101 was the charm. This is my Chargers site so I am happy to support it. I hope a few others kick in from time to time.

Cheers
    Fleet- send me some detail in email again. I’d due to re-up. Its an honor and privilege to support. My last forum had asshole mods who let people go nuts but would suspend me anytime i said a joke about them. There were a lot of reasons to say jokes about the, i think they were pretty justified.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
      I usually like Borquez. He’s made big improvements as a Charger beat writer, but I just don’t understand his logic on this one.

He quotes Staley saying:

“He [Nas] can see in the deep part of the field. He’s smooth. He’s got a lot of DB traits for us. We really think that he’s a smooth athlete. We think he’s going to be a good fit for how we want to play.”

Then Borquez goes ahead and posits the exact opposite:

“Staley believes that he will be able to make full use of him by utilizing his versatility, where he can be flexed in the slot (Star) and fill a sub-package safety-linebacker hybrid role (Money).
      While he has the athleticism and range to play in the deeper parts of the field, Adderley’s instincts, short area quickness and ball skills could go a long way closer to the line of scrimmage.”

What gives, Borquez?? Anyone who watched a single game last year should know that tackling isn’t Nas’ strong suit.

Why would they want him near the LOS?..or god forbid, a hybrid LB?

Let Derwin do that.

Am I wrong?
      Suppose we have Adderley and Derwin as our basic 2-high safety shell. Remember, Derwin is very good at diagnosing plays and his anticipation is off the charts. The few times I've seen Derwin play deep safety, as soon as he sees it's a running play or short/medium pass, he quickly moves up PRE-SNAP to tackle the ballcarrier, or if possible, break up the pass play. So, in essence, we have the best of both worlds--Derwin at FS with help from Adderly to protect against the long ball; and Derwin moving up into the box, or close to the box, to tackle or break up medium-length passes...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Suppose we have Adderley and Derwin as our basic 2-high safety shell. Remember, Derwin is very good at diagnosing plays and his anticipation is off the charts. The few times I've seen Derwin play deep safety, as soon as he sees it's a running play or short/medium pass, he quickly moves up PRE-SNAP to tackle the ballcarrier, or if possible, break up the pass play. So, in essence, we have the best of both worlds--Derwin at FS with help from Adderly to protect against the long ball; and Derwin moving up into the box, or close to the box, to tackle or break up medium-length passes...
        I forget who said it—maybe Daniel Jeremiah?—but the comment was something like: if you could build a safety in a lab to compliment Derwin James, it would be Nasir Adderley. Of course, that was when we has Gus Bradley and also before Nas had played a single down in the NFL. But then again, he’s still never had a chance to play alongside Derwin.

Derwin’s the type of player who elevates those around him, and Adderley should be one of the biggest beneficiaries of that effect.

What confuses me is that I keep hearing that safeties in Staley’s scheme have very similar roles and responsibilities. I’m interested to see how Staley uses each player’s unique/complimentary skillset in roles that are essentially the same.

I’ve heard others say that Derwin will play mostly star. That’s fine, but then who’s the other high safety? Gilman? Webb? If so, are they ready for that kind of responsibility?

If anyone has an informed answer to this I’d be eager to know.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

The safeties have similar responsibilities but not necessarily on the same plays.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I forget who said it—maybe Daniel Jeremiah?—but the comment was something like: if you could build a safety in a lab to compliment Derwin James, it would be Nasir Adderley. Of course, that was when we has Gus Bradley and also before Nas had played a single down in the NFL. But then again, he’s still never had a chance to play alongside Derwin.

Derwin’s the type of player who elevates those around him, and Adderley should be one of the biggest beneficiaries of that effect.

What confuses me is that I keep hearing that safeties in Staley’s scheme have very similar roles and responsibilities. I’m interested to see how Staley uses each player’s unique/complimentary skillset in roles that are essentially the same.

I’ve heard others say that Derwin will play mostly star. That’s fine, but then who’s the other high safety? Gilman? Webb? If so, are they ready for that kind of responsibility?

I think Nas was just lost last year. I’m expecting a big jump this year, personally. He flashed a couple times with talent you can’t coach.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think Nas was just lost last year. I’m expecting a big jump this year, personally. He flashed a couple times with talent you can’t coach.
              In all fairness, Bradley's lame defense and our lack of key D players put more pressure on Adderley than a single high should be asked to handle...combination of no pass rush aside from Bosa, and Hayward and Chris Jones getting burned, plus injuries and Nas was like the sailor on the Titanic bailing out water with a teaspoon...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Last year, Staley started moving Ramsey around midseason, and LAR D thrived.

Jalen was playing SLOT even...all kinds of crazy stuff.

Uneducated guess:
                Vaughn/Campbell/Webb/UFA (new) up High.
                Nasir STAR.
                Derwin Superman.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  The safeties have similar responsibilities but not necessarily on the same plays.
                  Right.
                  If we are disguising,
                  then it's supposed to be a mystery.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Are you guys saying Staley will play DJ deep some plays?
                    I'm having a hard time remembering his best position since he's not played in forever but I do know he has more of an impact the closer he is to the line of scrimmage. I'm sure our new staff will play him where he has the most impact.
                    As for deep safeties, other than Adderley, do we have anyone on the roster? I don't know Gilman's game at all( did he get any reps there last year?).And Webb will most certainly be a box safety. He doesn't have the experience( he's a converted offensive player, right?) to be back there yet. He's not getting on the job training against Mahomes or Carr.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                      Are you guys saying Staley will play DJ deep some plays?
                      I'm having a hard time remembering his best position since he's not played in forever but I do know he has more of an impact the closer he is to the line of scrimmage. I'm sure our new staff will play him where he has the most impact.
                      As for deep safeties, other than Adderley, do we have anyone on the roster? I don't know Gilman's game at all( did he get any reps there last year?).And Webb will most certainly be a box safety. He doesn't have the experience( he's a converted offensive player, right?) to be back there yet. He's not getting on the job training against Mahomes or Carr.
                      I remember when DJ was still a rookie, he was on the backend most plays and would roam around diagnosing plays that made him dangerous. He had several PBUs and INTs. He would occasionally creep up to the LOS. Would either blitz or cover a big TE. You’re right, it is really hard to remember since it has been awhile.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I remember when DJ was still a rookie, he was on the backend most plays and would roam around diagnosing plays that made him dangerous. He had several PBUs and INTs. He would occasionally creep up to the LOS. Would either blitz or cover a big TE. You’re right, it is really hard to remember since it has been awhile.
                        Absolutely. Had a nice breakup deep against the Chiefs in the endzone, had a pick against the Steelers, and several more PBUs while playing deep S. James can do it all. Just what an innovator like Staley needs. James is such a transformative player that him being hurt may have been a blessing -- with him on the field, the Chargers probably win 2-3 more games, Gus looks a lot better, Lynn is retained.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Absolutely. Had a nice breakup deep against the Chiefs in the endzone, had a pick against the Steelers, and several more PBUs while playing deep S. James can do it all. Just what an innovator like Staley needs. James is such a transformative player that him being hurt may have been a blessing -- with him on the field, the Chargers probably win 2-3 more games, Gus looks a lot better, Lynn is retained.

TG
                          Ouch...sad, but probably true...and the Bolts flounder in 8-8 mediocrity for years...

Comment

Working...
                          X