Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Unhappy Weddle skips Chargers' workouts

Unhappy Weddle skips Chargers' workouts

Eric Weddle spoke immediately after working out Monday afternoon, still sweaty, a protein drink in hand.

He was not at Chargers Park. He was at a gym near his home.

The Chargers’ free safety, unhappy the team has not engaged in talks about a contract extension, skipped the first voluntary workout of the offseason and seems inclined to stay away from the facility for an extended period.

"I feel highly, highly disrespected," Weddle said. "... It is what it is, but there is no reason for me to put out any more effort."

Weddle, coming off his second first-team All-Pro season, said he does not know when (or if) he will join the team for offseason workouts. It seems unlikely.

And that is extraordinary.

The conditioning and coaching sessions are voluntary, but Weddle has been as consistent a participant in previous offseason as he has been during the season.

A defensive captain the past four years and the Chargers’ Defensive Player of the Year three of the past four seasons, Weddle has played in 80 consecutive games. Working next to nine different strong safeties, he has played 99 percent of the Chargers’ defensive snaps in that five-year span, plus 60 percent of special teams snaps.

That he is missing time with his teammates and coaches is big.

“It is,” he said. “I've never missed a day in my life. I've given so much.”

That’s the thing. Weddle is a prideful man. It’s a huge part of who he is, of how he became one of the game’s best safeties. It explains his extreme reaction to his belief the Chargers don’t want him to be a part of their family as long as he wants to be.

He knows he’ll sign with another team for a lot of money if that is what it comes to, but he said numerous times on Monday, “I want to retire a Charger.”

For the second straight offseason, Weddle’s agent approached the Chargers suggesting the sides talk about reworking Weddle's deal. The thinking was that the team could get cap relief while Weddle got long-term security.

This year, with his contract set to expire after the 2015 season, Weddle said it took a lot of effort to even get a dialogue going with the team and that agent David Canter was told an extension for Weddle was not a priority.

“We've come to them numerous times and said we want to be part of the team, we want to retire as a Charger,” Weddle said. “We've completely gotten pushed aside.”

And so, he is sitting out the offseason program, "letting them know I'm not very happy."

That it has reached this point is almost mind-boggling.

Canter said he has no desire to negotiate a deal in the media. However, he said, the Chargers should know how unhappy his client is and “to be at this level, where we are right now, is very disconcerting.”

It should not have gotten to this point. But it has. And it can be fixed. This could end up being just an unpleasant part of doing business, a bump in the road to ultimate agreement.

This would not be a difficult negotiation. Weddle is not asking to be the highest-paid safety, just something among the top three or four. He will be 31 after the season, but he had arguably his strongest season just before turning 30. It will not be pretty so this young defense try to coalesce without his on-field organization.

If the Chargers were to initiate talks, Weddle said he could move forward.

"We want to get something done," he said. “… I started something here. I've worked extremely hard to build something here. I don't want to go win a championship somewhere else.”

He shouldn't have to. But it seems the Chargers are intent on letting that happen.
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Awesome. The offseason just gets better and better
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Trade him to Tennessee!

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Rivers, Gates and Weddle to Tennessee, that'll get the Titans in the SB guaranteed.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Or Philly, word is the want to build a monster defence to go with their 4x4 QBs and RBs...
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Jules
            BMF
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Love how they say they don't want to negotiate in the media and here it is.
            Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Geez, my 3 favorite Chargers could all be gone next season - Rivers, Gates and Weddle!

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Don't even want to think how bad this defense would be without Weddle.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  Don't even want to think how bad this defense would be without Weddle.
                  true...but think how happy OIP will be....
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    Awesome. The offseason just gets better and better
                    But weight there is more!

Tune in for the top of round one!!!!
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Sounds like the Chargers' relationships with their players have got a lot better since AJ Smith was canned.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Tanking for 2016?
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                        X