Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

The FTO Final Mock - Return to Glory

Notes:
    I’m not dinking and dunking in the draft this year. We have the Maserati in the garage with 3 bad spark plugs. I’m using this draft to get those plugs and return the Maserati to its full glory. I’m loading Rivers up with the talent he needs to make us a top 5 Offense again. I’m not willing to waste Rivers’ talent any longer.

I’m starting with speed. 1st pick, I’m picking a freak as a stretch WR. A 4.24 – 40 at 6-2, 212. A fully mature frame. That’s a very rare skill set. This is a top 10 talent in a normal year that falls to us because of all the front 7 defenders and OT’s available. Note I said stretch WR, I’m using him to stretch the D to allow our newly drafted speedy RB room to run underneath. I’m using him to allow Rivers to use his skill as one of the best deep ball throwers in the league. I’m using him to allow our excess of possession receivers more room to get open underneath and run. We need a deep threat and if this one is available, I’m not passing on him. We cannot continue to underutilize Rivers and make him just another qb. I also add the best ORG in the draft to complete this OL and this offense. TT also added 3 FA WRs this offseason, I think he recognizes it’s a weakness and is serious about fixing it. Put the Maserati back on the track and let it run. Ride it to the playoffs.

I’m also adding a QB. TT has looked at 5 this offseason, if there’s value when he picks, I think he takes one.

The D gets the trainees at the bottom of the draft. I get a 5 tech DE that has classic size and looks like he can be a rotation contributor with more work and finish it off with another freak athlete with speed at OLB. If we need more depth on the D, we’ll have to find experienced FAs to fill out the roster. Experience is good to have too.

3 speed guys, 2 size guys, I got what I wanted.

1. Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida, 6-2, 212 pounds, 34-inch arms, 9 1/4-inch hands
    Nobody north of 210 pounds should be allowed to run a 4.24 40-yard dash, but Perriman did just that at his pro day. And a couple of unofficial times clocked him sub-4.2.

Overview
    In 2014, was selected 2014 first-team All-American Athletic Conference after finishing with 50 catches for a 20.9 yards-per-catch average with nine touchdowns. Became first UCF receiver with 1,000-plus yards since Mike Sims-Walker in 2006. In 2013, started 10 games and led team with 20.8 yards per catch. Had 91-yard touchdown, which was longest play from scrimmage in school history. In 2012, earned a spot on the C-USA All-Freshman team and made four starts. Had 90 yards receiving in Beef O'Brady's Bowl. Rated a 2-star prospect coming out of high school. Is the son of Brett Perriman, who played for 10 years in the NFL. Brett had 108 catches for 1,488 yards for the Detroit Lions in 1995.

Pro Day Results
    40-yard dash: 4.24 and 4.27 seconds
    Vertical: 36 1/2 inches
    Broad jump: 10 feet, 7 inches
    Bench press: 18 reps of 225 pounds

Analysis
    Strengths
    Height, weight and speed numbers that every team covets. Quick accelerator off the snap and destroys the cushion, forcing cornerbacks into "turn-and-run" mode. More sudden than most big receivers. Able to break routes off sharply or go from stop to start instantly. Consistent separation at top of his route. Always gets over the top of cornerbacks on verticals. Varies route speed and has ability to body up and box out smaller cornerbacks downfield. Explosive leaper with timing and catch radius to make the difficult catches look easy. Shows off plus body control and ball tracking on deep ball. Able to gear up or down when needed and is a legitimate big-play threat on every snap. Athleticism and long speed for yards-after-catch production. Gives good effort as run blocker.

Weaknesses
    Raw in his routes, relying on speed and athleticism over any precision. Rounds routes and is inconsistent at selling and finishing routes that don't involve him as primary target. Sits and waits on the throw rather than working back to it. Redirected in his routes more than expected for receiver his size. Disappointing hands that might always haunt him. Slow catch readiness, allowing too many throws to beat him up. Too much double catching and his focus drops over second half of the season were maddening to watch.
    Draft Projection
    Round 1
    NFL Comparison
    Josh Gordon
    Bottom Line

Rare combination of size, top-end speed and suddenness that can be found in some of the best receivers in the game. Arrow is pointed way up on Perriman and he is one of the most discussed prospects in draft rooms around the league. His drops will drive teams crazy, but his physical traits and ability to hit the big play should warrant early consideration.

2. Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana, 5-11, 206 – The speedy RB we can really use.

Overview
    Had a breakout 2014 season. Consensus first-team All-American. Selected first-team All-Big Ten and Doak Walker (nation's top RB) finalist. Became third player in Big 10 history with 2,000 rushing yards in a single season (Larry Johnson, Melvin Gordon). Set school record with 2,036 rushing yards, including 307 rushing yards vs. Rutgers. In 2013, selected honorable mention All-Big Ten after missing the final three games with an ankle injury. Averaged 106.4 rushing yards per game. In 2012, led team with 566 kickoff-return yards, including a 96-yard TD. First-team All-State running back, but also played wide receiver and cornerback in high school. Was born 10 weeks early and weighed 3 1/2 pounds. Doctors gave him a 20 percent chance of survival.

Pro Day Results
    40-yard dash: 4.4 and 4.39 seconds

Analysis
    Strengths
    Decisive north-south runner. Outstanding three-step burst into second level. Fearless between the tackles. Has dangerous jump-cut to instantly change gaps and ruin the plans of linebackers. Stays square to the line and is always in ready position to hit turbo. Fluid and flexible lower body with elite one-cut ability and natural change-of-direction talent without gearing down. Violent run finisher. Will duck shoulder and throw heavy forearm into tackler to prove a point. Not a content runner -- doesn't like to give in. Capable hands out of backfield and willing to square up and engage pass rushers on pass plays. Hits top speed so quickly that safeties and linebackers repeatedly take poor angles, leading to long touchdowns. Half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns were of 43-plus yards, including eight of 64-plus yards.
    Weaknesses
    Treats every carry like a sprint. Must improve run tempo and patience on stretch plays. Has to learn when to keep run play-side and improve patience to allow back-side cutback lanes to develop. Can improve as receiver out of backfield. Wasn't always in position to scan defense on screen passes, resulting in lost yardage. Pad level often a little high into contact. Not much of a tackle-breaker and allows his base to get too narrow, giving defenders a chance to end play prematurely. Less creative than most of the top-level backs in this draft.
    Draft Projection
    Round 2 or 3
    NFL Comparison
    Darren McFadden
    Bottom Line
    His violent running style is a joy to watch, but might have to be tempered to extend his career. He is a "race car in the red" on just about every snap and refuses to give in, which leads to many big runs. The biggest concern for teams about Coleman is the uncertainty about whether he can become a more patient runner and improve as a tackle-breaker. Has the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back for a team looking for a workhorse.

Indiana's Tevin Coleman held a personal pro-day workout Wednesday, when 23 NFL teams sent representatives to Bloomington, Ind. to catch one of the 2015 NFL Draft's top-rated running backs put through drills. Coleman was unable to work out for scouts at Indiana's pro day or the NFL Scouting Combine due to a foot injury. Coleman (5-foot-11 3/8, 207 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.4 and 4.39 seconds at the workout (the fastest 40 time for a running back at the scouting combine was 4.42 seconds, posted by Michigan State's Jeremy Langford). Because he is still healing from that foot injury, Coleman did not do the shuttle runs or jumps. Coleman did have an impressive positional workout. Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton reportedly had Coleman run some pass routes. Coleman caught everything thrown near him, a development more important than his 40 times. Scouts know he is fast — he had eight runs of 60 or more yards last season, most in the nation.

3. Tre Jackson, OG, Florida State, 6’-4, 330 - Called the best ORG in the draft

Overview
    Played in 49 games, starting 42. Captured South Team MVP honors at 2015 Senior Bowl. Named unanimous All-American in 2014 and was tabbed first-team All-ACC for two years in a row (2013-14) while helping lead Florida State to a 27-1 record and 2013 BCS national championship. In 2013, missed one game due to ankle injury. In 2012, named second-team All-ACC while starting 14 games at right guard. Played in the final eight games as a freshman, and started in bowl game against Notre Dame. Played both offensive and defensive line at Wayne County High School (Ga.). Missed his junior season with an ACL tear.

Pro Day Results

20-yard short shuttle: 5.3 seconds
    Three-cone drill: 8.4 seconds
    Bench press: 20 reps of 225 pounds
    Analysis
    Strengths
    Leverage and strength to stand and steer defenders in confined spaces. Stays flat-footed and balanced at point of impact in pass pro. Deliberate, controlled climb to second level. Power to jolt in his hands. Shows recovery ability when beaten in run game. In short pull, can find target, engage and seal. Aggressive play demeanor. Can take a stand when being bull-rushed.
    Weaknesses
    Fleshy midsection with excess weight potentially affecting foot quickness. Loses feet sliding to pick up rushers. Will duck head into block on contact. Limited effectiveness in space. Inconsistent performer this season. Too reliant upon size over skill and failed to show improvement this season. Struggles to get feet into winning position when blocking laterally.
    Draft Projection
    Round 2 or 3

Sources Tell Us
    "He's got everything you want in a guard, he just needs to work on technique. I did my homework on the person and I think he'll be coachable. He would start right away for us." - NFL offensive coordinator

NFL Comparison
    Justin Blalock

Bottom Line
    Three-year starter on a line full of wide-bodies, Jackson entered the 2014 season as one of the top-rated guard prospects, but failed to distinguish himself. Has the talent to be a dependable, quality NFL starter, but he needs to work on weight and conditioning in order to improve his feet and reach his potential.

4. Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State, 6’-2”, 213
    Overview
    Full-time starter over the last two seasons and started 35 games over four seasons at Colorado State. Owns CSU passing records for yards, touchdowns, completions and completion percentage. Named Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year and first-team All-Mountain West in 2014. Invited to Senior Bowl and finished game 8-of-15 for 118 yards. In 2013, broke single-game total offense record with 455 yards against Boise State. Started first five games in 2012, but suffered broken clavicle. Was expected to grayshirt in 2011, but ended up starting three games as a freshman. At Heritage high school, was named three-time first-team All-Region and had nation's highest completion percentage as a senior (73.2). His uncle, Danny Grayson, was an All-American linebacker at Washington State and was a seventh-round pick in 1990 by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.72 and 4.78 seconds
    Vertical jump: 34 inches
    Broad jump: 10 feet, 1 inch
    Short shuttle: 4.35 seconds
    3-cone: 6.97 seconds

Analysis
    Strengths
    Tremendous deep-ball touch and accuracy this season. Puts air under the ball and feathers throw into consistently catchable spots for receivers. Gets feet set and uses lower body and proper weight transfer to drive the ball to his target with zip. Works to square shoulders to throw when outside of the pocket. Scouts love his toughness and improved poise in the pocket. Willing to face down oncoming rusher and take hit in order to deliver the pass. Shows confidence to challenge safeties and will attack press-man cornerbacks over the top. Production improved each season as starter. Has worked under center, in pistol and out of shotgun.
    Weaknesses
    Has a small windup, which slows release. Catch-and-run touchdowns helped inflate his YPA and touchdowns this season. Tape work shows inconsistent decision-making and and a need for faster processing. Gets too locked in on his primary target. Rarely threatens defenses with feet. Lacks improvisation and ability to extend plays. Needs play to stay on schedule. Needs work on anticipation and trusting windows. Slow getting into his drops and scouts want quicker ball handling from him. Shows inconsistent accuracy on short throws into windows against zone. Will run his receivers into big collisions at times.
    Draft Projection
    Round 4 or 5

NFL Comparison
    Landry Jones

Bottom Line
    Grayson went from fringe draft prospect to clearly on the draft board with a strong 2014 season. Despite average arm talent, he uses good lower-body mechanics to generate velocity and his touch and accuracy on deep throws is eye-opening. Grayson needs more tape work to help improve his decision-making, but his size, production and growth at the position have ticked the requisite draft boxes to make him an intriguing mid-round prospect.

5. Leterrius Walton, DE, Central Michigan, 6’-6, 319, 5.25. Run down rotation player with size to get in passing lanes
    Analysis
    Strengths
    Ascending player. Former offensive lineman who has shown improvement with each passing season. Big man who flashes talent to penetrate and can win with explosive get-off. Good athlete for a big, inside player. Quick hands that should become more explosive with work. Will cruise down the line chasing run plays. Discipline in pass rush and maintains lane integrity.
    Weaknesses
    Upper body could use more mass. Plays with pads too tall, which hurts his ability to brace against double teams. Limited pass rusher with inability to get consistent pocket push or to finish. Can't come off of blocks and get to tackles with any consistency at this time. Must improve his use of hands and overall arm extension in order to control line of scrimmage and play to his size.
    Draft Projection
    Round 5
    Sources Tell Us
    "I have a feeling he's going to be one of those guys who ends up being an NFL player that nobody sees coming. He was a baseball and basketball player, which means he has good hands and feet. More coaching might be able to unlock an NFL player." -- AFC West scout
    NFL Comparison
    Ricky Jean-Francois
    Bottom Line
    High-motor interior lineman who could become a five-technique in a 3-4 defense with more technique work. Walton has the traits to become an above-average player against the run and should be able to play in both odd and even fronts.

6. Obum Gwacham, DE/OLB, Oregon State, 6’-5, 246, 4.72, 34 3/8" Arm Length - Excellent size for the position, Combine top performer in the 40 and broad jump.
    Analysis
    Strengths
    Transitioned from wide receiver to defensive end in 2014. Elite explosion traits. Reached 7-foot-1 as a high-jumper and was also a triple-jumper for Oregon State track team. Can unlock hips for sudden change of direction in open field. Locks quarterback in his sights once he shakes free as pass rusher. Has length and foot explosiveness defensive coordinators salivate over. Proved to be effective dropping into space on zone blitzes. Exceptional personal and football character with a desire to learn his new position. Is relentless and dogged in pursuit of the play and will come from across the field to capture a loose running back. Has immediate value on kickoff coverage.
    Weaknesses
    Play strength is below the necessary levels to play every down. Must continue body transformation for new position. Despite early jump into gap or upfield, is easily redirected out of the play by most tackles who get their hands on him. Needs more upper-body strength and better footwork to become an adequate edge-setter. Basic pass rusher relying on edge burst that is set up by inside head fake. Doesn't have true go-to pass-rush move. Lacking a counter move when initial rush stalls out. Fights hard but lacks ability to hold up at point of attack against base blocks.
    Draft Projection
    Round 6 or 7
    Sources Tell Us
    "This guy is going to blow some people away with his explosion numbers and teams will love him in interviews because he's a genuinely good guy. As a player, he still needs a lot of time to develop and you better set aside time for that and have a plan for him." -- NFC South area scout.
    NFL Comparison
    Willie Jefferson
    Bottom Line
    Explosive athlete with only one year of experience at defensive end after transitioning from wide receiver. Gwacham lacks the functional strength to play the run and he's still in the infant stages of learning how to rush the passer. His desire and character combined with his superb physical traits could make him a late-round project who teams show patience with as he gets bigger and continues to learn the position.
    Last edited by Formula 21; 04-23-2015, 02:47 PM.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Sorry didn't read after the bust WR who can't catch.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

I keed. Still digesting all of it. I do feel you are going for need a bit much on first impression.
      The only one I can say I disagree with is the high risk WR with questionable hands with your first pick.
      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

A couple of thoughts...
        Love Tre Jackson in the 3rd.
        I think Grayson is 3rd QB off the board early in the 2nd round at the latest.
        sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

There's no doubt that Perriman is controversial. But that speed opens up the game like nothing else available in this draft. Past speed guys like Ginn and Heyward-Bey never became stars, but they're still in the league and teams still reach for the speed when it's there.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

We have that guy. When he's not returning kicks he will be running sloppy routes, dropping passes, and stretching out the D.
            sigpic

Comment

• rikardo
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Todd Gurley at 17 please, Dline ,Oline and OLB on the other 3 rounds...

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                There's no doubt that Perriman is controversial. But that speed opens up the game like nothing else available in this draft. Past speed guys like Ginn and Heyward-Bey never became stars, but they're still in the league and teams still reach for the speed when it's there.
                I don't love this draft....I do like Tre Jackson in third....props to you for putting this out there
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Well, i like Perriman but i dont think he is going to be a first round pick. The hype with him reminds me of last years hyped WR after a pro day workout, which was Cody Latimer and he went at pick #58 and had 2 recptions last season. Perriman needs some work with his route running so i dont think he is a plug and play guy.

If Rivers is staying and we dont pick a QB early i dont see why we would pick one in the 4th round. Id assume we would just wait next year to get one. If your picking Grayson to replace Rivers, i dont like it.

I like picks two and three and i like Perriman but i think he is well overdrafted there..... and love the OLBs name, lol. I know nothing about him though.

Comment

• Screeme
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I don't think Tre Jackson is there for us at our spot in the 3rd (I think he goes higher 3). If we want him, we'll probably have to use our 2nd... or coordinate some sort of 2nd trade down/3rd trade up...

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I am not as high on Perriman. WR #1 job is to catch the ball. He fights the ball too much and drops way too many....not as bad as Coates, who I wouldn't draft at all. But I would not take a #1 on him. I understand the need to stretch the field, but his bust factor is way too high for my tastes in the first round. Unless a guy like Parker falls, I don't think we go WR in the first. I have Parker as my second rated WR to Cooper.

I think Jackson is ok. Did not improve his play at all this year. I actually thought Mathias was better on the other side. There are other guys I prefer at OG.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        Notes:
                        I’m not dinking and dunking in the draft this year. We have the Maserati in the garage with 3 bad spark plugs. I’m using this draft to get those plugs and return the Maserati to its full glory. I’m loading Rivers up with the talent he needs to make us a top 5 Offense again. I’m not willing to waste Rivers’ talent any longer.
                        This has been my philosophy as well for a couple months now. When i hear Rivers say "Lets see what we do in the draft" or something to that effect...coupled with his lack of desire to extend "now" it makes me feel like Rivers thinks we are not giving him the weapons he deserves. Twice in the last 3 years we have averaged only 21 points a game. Which is very low for a Rivers led offense. I understand the theory that by simply fixing the OL we will automatically fix everything else on offense. I just disagree with that. 2 years ago our OL was very solid and Mathews had a productive year and as a team we averaged 4.0 yards per carry. We still only averaged 24 ppg. I think we need to get the offense set now and let them grow over the years. Of course it almost all hinges on whether or not Rivers is back with us. I think TT ends up showing Rivers he means business in order to sign him long term. I love Jackson in the 3rd. I think he could go higher. I love Perriman as i was big on him when he was carrying a 4th/5th round grade. But i see him like i did Moncrief. A project. I think hes a 2nd round talent at this point with serious 1st round upside. He could go in the back of the 1st. So im on board with the positions youve drafted. Thanks for doing this F21. These are always fun. And as usual many will always have their own way of doing things. I think the way i see things playing out would look more like this. Playmakers in round 1 and 2.

1. Gurley RB
                        2. Agholar WR
                        3. Jackson OG
                        4. Clark OLB
                        5. Hicks ILB
                        6. Lott DT

Comment

Working...
                        X