ESPN Insider: Make-or-Break Season for Rivers? / Scheme Changes for the Chargers

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I think we all want that. But can our quarterback deliver that on a consistent basis? I think if he had then there wouldn't be so much passing to running backs.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
      I know people are hoping that would represent a change in philosophy but it sure wouldn't be a change in practice. We led the league in passes to running backs last season. How much shorter can we get?
      It is called wishful thinking. Posters on here think our offense was ineffective last year because of Norv's desire to throw deep on every play even though the stats show otherwise. Now the "Holy Grail" for this team is a re-energized running attack and a short passing game that will cover up the fact that we still have a shitty o-line. Of course, the running game goes distinctly South if Mathews gets hurt and if you get behind you don't have the luxury to run the ball or rely on short passes to get you back in the game.

When it comes down to it, you still need to win the LOS to win in this league. That is especially true for us on offense because Rivers can't evade a rush, can't throw the ball if he is moving, and makes too many questionable decisions when under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
        the fact that we still have a shitty o-line
        That's not a fact, that's your opinion, based on your time travel. None of the rest of us know what we've got yet.

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

How can anyone say this o-line sucks, when no one has seen them play yet?

Seems like opinion, not fact, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TTK View Post
            How can anyone say this o-line sucks, when no one has seen them play yet?

Seems like opinion, not fact, to me.
            Let's completely forget that we have a guy who's widely considered the best offensive line coach in the NFL.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

There's just no point debating the O line anymore. We have exhausted pretty much every argument that can possibly be made. Both sides have valid points. Neither will get answers till training camp starts.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                Let's completely forget that we have a guy who's widely considered the best offensive line coach in the NFL.
                He was fired by the Bills at the end of last season and walked out by security in 2010 after being fired by the Chiefs(a season that saw the QB sacked 45 times)

Other than those 5 seasons with those 2 teams he hasnt even been a pro coach.

Not sure how that somehow = widely considered the best offensive line coach in the NFL?
                Last edited by oneinchpunch; 07-04-2013, 11:12 PM.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

There is no debate for some, they act like its there way or the highway.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    He was fired by the Bills at the end of last season and walked out by security in 2010 after being fired by the Chiefs(a season that saw the QB sacked 45 times)

Other than those 5 seasons with those 2 teams he hasnt even been a pro coach.

Not sure how that somehow = widely considered the best offensive line coach in the NFL?
                    I'm guessing you don't listen to the NFL channel on SiriusXM much? I've heard almost every show talk about coach D.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                      I'm guessing you don't listen to the NFL channel on SiriusXM much? I've heard almost every show talk about coach D.
                      They can talk all they want.

Show me something concrete that says he is widely considered the best OL coach in the NFL?

Even audio links.

Because in print there is absolutely nothing that supports that statement. In fact it points to the opposite.
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        They can talk all they want.

Show me something concrete that says he is widely considered the best OL coach in the NFL?

Even audio links.

Because in print there is absolutely nothing that supports that statement. In fact it points to the opposite.

The man behind the curtain of the Bills O-line

Heading in to the 2011 NFL season, most that follow the Buffalo Bills -- if not all -- weren't exactly enamored by the prospects of the offensive line.

It featured a pair of assumed castaways on the right side, a left tackle that was on his last chance, and no depth to write home about. Even one of their promising youngsters, Andy Levitre, was on the verge of losing his job during the preseason. Things were not looking as though they were trending up.

Then, the regular season started and something happened to quell all that concern. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick had time to throw, Fred Jackson found plenty of room to run the ball and did so in bunches, sack numbers against the Bills were way, way down.

How exactly did the Bills transform from their preseason woes to one of the best statistical units early on in 2011?

If you ask the men that make up the offensive line and head coach Chan Gailey, one name will be most prevalent:

Offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris.

"With Joe D as our leader, we work probably harder than any other o-line. We get after it in practice, we get after it in the games and I feel like we play you should play the O-line," center Eric Wood remarked. "He's demanding. Demanding coaches usually see results. He will not let you settle, he will never let you get complacent and that's worked really well for a lot of young guys coming in and be able to play right away."

"A competitor," right guard Kraig Urbik called D'Alessandris. "He's always one to take every second of every day to go full speed in the drills in everything, and make sure everything is gone over and make sure we get everything correct so that come game time it's really easy. He does a really good job with that. We do a lot of extra work with him and it showed last year with plugging guys in and how well we did."

The linemen who nicknamed themselves 'The Wolfpack,' an allusion to a speech given by Zach Galifinakis in the ever-so popular movie The Hangover, all point to D'Alessandris as the leader of that movement.

He's known by those at One Bills Drive as a coach that asks the world of his players every single minute of every single day. To D'Alessandris, he's known no other way.

"We need to continue to strive for that excellence -- every day, every week," he said. "When I say every day, [I mean] every day. Because if you do it every day, it becomes habit forming and then it carries in to games. How you practice is how you play and I really believe that."

The production from last season is hard to ignore. With a lot of moving pieces due to multiple injuries, the Bills still were atop the league in fewest sacks allowed (23) and also tied for fourth in yards per carry (4.9).

That all plays in to the intensity exuded by D'Alessandris each day at practice. The next time you're at a Bills practice during training camp, you'll see the offensive line coach as the most animated on the field. He'll get down and roll around on the ground to exhibit how exactly he wants a drill run.

When asked if the word 'fiery' would be a good way to describe his positional coach, Urbik agreed.

"He is, yeah. He gets in those moods. It's pretty fun."

"I think sometimes you're born with certain things, traits," D'Alessandris said. "The game has always been important to me as an ex-player and I also felt to coach, to bring that same kind of passion. Teaching it to the players so that you can see that same passion and intensity when they play. I think you just try to feed off each other."

That intensity is something that has helped make players like Erik Pears, Urbik, Andy Levitre and Wood transcend their collective game in to a level fans of the Bills weren't expecting in 2011.

"The first few weeks it's just like learning the technique of what he does. Ever since then I feel like every week that's gone by I've gotten a lot better," said Urbik" "I look at film from my first few weeks here, I went back this off-season, it's just like night and day. It's pretty crazy."

So where do the Bills go from here? A known proponent of technique, D'Alessandris knows it's all about getting every single one of his players prepared for 2012 no matter the situation.

"I know we ask them to do a lot of things, to be versatile," the offensive line coach said. "I think there's a lot of pride in that room by them individually, I think that they take a lot of pride and I think they're true professionals. They come to work every day to learn their trade and then apply it. So that's the good news, and as a coach, that's all you can ask for."

D'Alessandris and the Bills continue their workouts on Tuesday with the start of mandatory mini-camp that extends through Thursday.

The Official Athletic Site of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The most comprehensive coverage of the Yellow Jackets on the web with highlights, scores, game summaries, and rosters. Powered by WMT Digital.

Joe D'Alessandris, who possesses a wide range of experience at the collegiate and professional levels, enters his sixth season as Georgia Tech's offensive line coach.

D'Alessandris' offensive line has been a key factor in the Yellow Jackets' prolific rushing attack the last two seasons. Last fall, the Tech front line has paved the way for the ACC's leading rusher, Tashard Choice, and helped Tech rank second in the league. Sophomore left tackle Andrew Gardner earned honorable mention all-conference recognition. Senior right tackle Mansfield Wrotto earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl despite playing just one year on offense after converting from defensive tackle. Wrotto became a fourth round selection by the Seattle Seahawks in the 2007 NFL Draft.

D'Alessandris' 2005 unit, which started just one senior along with three sophomores and a freshman, helped Tech lead the ACC in fewest sacks allowed with 10. The Jackets ranked third in the league in rushing. Senior tackle Brad Honeycutt was an honorable mention all-ACC selection, while Gardner was named a freshman all-America.

Five Tech linemen who played for D'Alessandris' have earned NFL opportunities. Three of the Yellow Jackets' senior offensive linemen from 2004 signed free agent contracts with NFL teams: Andy Tidwell-Neal and Kyle Wallace with the New York Giants and Leon Robinson with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Following the 2003 season, tackle Nat Dorsey was a fourth-round selection of the Minnesota Vikings in the 2004 NFL Draft and is now with the Cleveland Browns, while center Hugh Reilly signed a free agent contract with the Tennessee Titans.

In 2003, D'Alessandris' offensive line paved the way for 1,000-yard rusher P.J. Daniels. Reilly was a first-team all-Atlantic Coast Conference selection and a finalist for the Dave Rimington Trophy as the nation's top center. Reilly became the second Tech offensive lineman to earn all-conference honors under D'Alessandris, following Dorsey in 2002.

D'Alessandris came to Tech in 2002 after coaching the offensive line at Duke the previous five years (1997-01). Five linemen that he coached during that time went on to the NFL in center Patrick Mannelly (5th round, Chicago, 1998), guard Lennie Friedman (2nd round, Denver, 1997), center Troy Andrew (free agent, Miami, 2001), Shawn Lynch (free agent, Kansas City, 2002) and John Miller (free agent, Houston, 2002). In addition, D'Alessandris coached on the Gray squad at the 1999 Blue-Gray Classic.

NFL Views, News, Notes and Quotes (with Select Beer Reviews)
                        one of the best in the business).

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Not exactly "widely considered the best OL coach in the NFL".

One article about how well he did with the Bills OL 2 seasons ago. Also ignoring the fact that Chan ran a pistol spread offense which get the ball out of the QBs hand quick. Also ignores that it was the 2nd team he was fired from in 3 seasons.

The other two say nothing about him being widely considered the best OL coach in the NFL. Especially since they are old college articles.

And the last one is a charger fan blog.

We'll see how he does now that Chan Gailey isn't around.
                          Last edited by oneinchpunch; 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM.
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X