First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

Eric Rowe may be over rated. I have watched him in person for years and most people up here are surprised that he climbed draft boards so quickly these past few months. His climb is attributed to his physical attributes and not so much his on-field production. If you would have told me mid-way through last season that Eric would be a 2nd round draft pick, I and most Ute followers would have laughed at you. I like the guy and absolutely wish him well, I just wish he would have performed with second round type numbers while he was here at Utah.
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
      I like Perryman, but the more I go back and watch quick tape on CB Eric Rowe, the more I think that Eric Rowe is the one we target and PHI jump in front of us and stole him away from us. After this, we settle for Perryman and CB Craig Mager. With Rowe team up with Verrett, SD would have one of the most promising secondary in the league.... After using multiple draft picks to move up for MG3, SD couldn't afford to move up again for Rowe, and loss him to PHI. That's why if you really like a kid, you always try to move up and get him, otherwise you risk losing him to another team. Teams can move up in front of you, too.
      Pure speculation and we have Flowers teamed with Verrett.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
        Eric Rowe may be over rated. I have watched him in person for years and most people up here are surprised that he climbed draft boards so quickly these past few months. His climb is attributed to his physical attributes and not so much his on-field production. If you would have told me mid-way through last season that Eric would be a 2nd round draft pick, I and most Ute followers would have laughed at you. I like the guy and absolutely wish him well, I just wish he would have performed with second round type numbers while he was here at Utah.
        I agree. Part of me thinks he will eventually shift to safety. I watched him play (not live) in a few games, and he never realky stood out to the point where I understood his climbing up the boards.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

I wanted Stephen Tulloch a couple years ago as a free agent. Thought he would be a perfect fit for us. I think we just drafted a player that is very close to being a similar player to Tulloch.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Desmond Perryman stuffed a backrest pillow up his shirt, cushioning himself like a hockey goalie about to enter the crease. His son Denzel had just begun to play youth football. Dad wanted to teach him how to tackle, committed to living-room drills a few days a week until Denzel mastered proper technique.

They started when Denzel was 6.

They stopped when Denzel was 7.

"I actually had to brace myself because he would've knocked me down," Desmond said. "I knew he had it at that point. ... He was a form tackler at 7 years old, a perfect tackler. When a grown man has to brace for a 7-year-old kid, you know he's coming real hard."

Denzel, a grown man now, is set to play his first NFL game. The Chargers inside linebacker and second-round pick will debut Thursday night against the Cowboys. His parents will watch the exhibition opener from afar, as Denzel looks to apply on defense and special teams some of the homegrown hitting learned in South Florida.

The lessons are the foundation to Perryman's game.

All linebackers must seek out contact. Few seem to find enjoyment rivaling that of Perryman. As a boy, he ran at his dad and older brothers from a three-point stance and tried to tackle them. He practiced form against a door. He grew up watching a highlight tape of the NFL's hardest hits while idolizing Ray Lewis.

"A lot of people ask me am I nervous, am I nervous," Perryman, 21, said Wednesday. "I'm just (eager) to hit somebody else, to go against somebody else. ... I'm looking forward to that environment. I know it's a preseason game, but still, it's an NFL game, an opportunity for me to showcase why they drafted me."

The pillow drill is where it started.

Television time turned into tackling time. His dad gave basic pointers like to keep his head up, a safety measure to reduce risk of spinal injury and paralysis, and implored him to tackle through his target. If Perryman did not tackle properly or hard enough, his dad wouldn't feign impact and playfully fall to the floor.

He had Perryman reset and try again.

"He used to tell me, 'Everything you touch, you knock it down,' " Perryman said. "That's always been my mindset. Whatever I touch gets knocked down. When I'm coming to make contact, I'm going 100 miles per hour, and I'm not slowing down. At all."

Desmond, 47, coached Perryman from age 6 to the start of high school.

He knew the coaches at Coral Gables High, so he was comfortable stepping back. Still, he remained closely involved, the two speaking after every game. Desmond has attended just about every one of Perryman's games from Pop Warner through college at Miami. Any one he had to miss, he'd watch on tape later so he could rehash plays with his son.

Perryman appreciates it.

Some childhood friends had a mother without an active father. For others, it was vice versa. He grew up with both, his father highly involved in what became his career.

"I guess I'm his worst critic because I critique everything," Desmond said. "I just think he should be perfect on the field. I don't tolerate half speed or taking plays off. The motto in our house is 'it's all out or nothing.' If you're not going to go all out, then don't even get on the field."

Desmond cannot attend every Chargers game.

The drive to see Perryman play Pop Warner or prep football was about 15 to 20 minutes. For college, the commute was about 30. Any trip to San Diego is far longer, and as commissioner of Pop Warner football in Coconut Grove, Fla., Desmond has other commitments.

But he'll be watching Thursday night.

And his presence will be felt.

"I'll hear my dad's voice in my head," Perryman said. "If I'm missing a tackle, he'll say, 'Come on, man. Get it together. Take the proper angle. Bend your knees. Stop lunging.' It's already registered in my head."

Comment

• BoltFan84
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

I'm impressed with Perryman. He's got a nose for the football and is a ferocious hitter. His physicality is welcome addition to ILB group, a terrifying presence in middle of field. He can become a helluva player.

Comment

Working...
              X