Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

2012 Chargers NFL Draft Grade

As they say, it takes 3 years to grade a Draft.

Let's see how we did.

1 18 Melvin Ingram LB South Carolina
    2 49 Kendall Reyes DE Connecticut
    3 73 Brandon Taylor SS LSU
    4 110 Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette
    5 149 Johnnie Troutman G Penn State
    7 226 David Molk C Michigan
    7 250 Edwin Baker RB Michigan State

Ingram B- (He's been good when he can play...but injuries drag grade down... C+ would be ok as well)
    Reyes C (he's a starter, which he should be... played well his first year, not so much since. Not as terrible as some would say... job is to eat up blocks for LB)
    Taylor D (injuries derailed his career, but he wasn't that good to begin with... although everyone was excited about him. He never panned out)
    Green C (looked promising in year 2, didn't play much last year. But still promising, and has made plays in the past)
    Troutman C (I know he's the board whipping boy, but he had to sit an entire year, then came back and had to fill in at a couple different spots at Guard, and last year started at RG when he wasn't hurt. Not a great player but a 5th round pick who started in year 3 isn't bad)
    Molk C (He played well enough to secure the backup job his rookie year... lost it to Ohrnberger in year 2. 7th round pick, made the roster one year)
    Baker D (only knocking him down to a D, because he didn't make the roster. He did get picked up by the Browns, and then the Saints. I guess you could argue for a C for a 7th rounder).

B-, C, D, C, C, C, D... to me that looks like a C-.

AJ whiffed pretty bad. I remember draft grades that year giving us A's and B+'s. You never know what's going to happen. Taylor could have great, but never panned out...
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I liked the draft back then, but now it looks like the last gasp of a dying GM career... all hope, but doomed. I think Green and Ingram can break out, but they are running out of time, at least for us.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
      As they say, it takes 3 years to grade a Draft.

Let's see how we did.

1 18 Melvin Ingram LB South Carolina
      2 49 Kendall Reyes DE Connecticut
      3 73 Brandon Taylor SS LSU
      4 110 Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette
      5 149 Johnnie Troutman G Penn State
      7 226 David Molk C Michigan
      7 250 Edwin Baker RB Michigan State

Ingram B- (He's been good when he can play...but injuries drag grade down... C+ would be ok as well)
      Reyes C (he's a starter, which he should be... played well his first year, not so much since. Not as terrible as some would say... job is to eat up blocks for LB)
      Taylor D (injuries derailed his career, but he wasn't that good to begin with... although everyone was excited about him. He never panned out)
      Green C (looked promising in year 2, didn't play much last year. But still promising, and has made plays in the past)
      Troutman C (I know he's the board whipping boy, but he had to sit an entire year, then came back and had to fill in at a couple different spots at Guard, and last year started at RG when he wasn't hurt. Not a great player but a 5th round pick who started in year 3 isn't bad)
      Molk C (He played well enough to secure the backup job his rookie year... lost it to Ohrnberger in year 2. 7th round pick, made the roster one year)
      Baker D (only knocking him down to a D, because he didn't make the roster. He did get picked up by the Browns, and then the Saints. I guess you could argue for a C for a 7th rounder).

B-, C, D, C, C, C, D... to me that looks like a C-.

AJ whiffed pretty bad. I remember draft grades that year giving us A's and B+'s. You never know what's going to happen. Taylor could have great, but never panned out...
      Good stuff Coach, but I think you're being too kind with the grades.

Comment

• KNSD
        Registered Charger Hater
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Sticking with D+/C- grade. The draft grade can improve if they do well on their finals this year (Ingram stays healthy, Porkchops, Reyes, Green make significant contributions).
        Prediction:
        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

I think Porkchops is a little under-appreciated here. As long as you have Applesauce right next to him then he should be okay. Not great maybe, but okay.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Originally posted by alex View Post
            I think Porkchops is a little under-appreciated here. As long as you have Applesauce right next to him then he should be okay. Not great maybe, but okay.
            If applesauce was a person, it would look like Chris Watt.

But it doesn't go well with smoked pork chops, which is the version we usually get.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
              Honestly, I am not sure he has it between the ears. He misses a lot of assignments and gets a lot of unforced flags. I think at times he has flashed some good things, especially in the run game, but he has a ways to go until he is adequate at his position as to consistency, focus and pass blocking. I just don't feel comfortable at all with him as a starter.

Comment

Working...
              X