• Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Power Rankings

Pete Prisco
    Pete Prisco
    Senior NFL Columnist
    NFL Power Rankings: Jags, Vikings and Dolphins on rise after draft
    May 5, 2015 8:22 AM ET

Did the NFL Draft change the thinking about the top teams in the NFL?

Not really.

Most top teams use the draft to fill in holes, prepare for the future, and maybe hit on a starter or two for next season.

The New England Patriots drafted a bunch of defensive linemen early to help fortify a unit in need of assistance, helping to keep them as the best team in the league and atop my post-draft Power Rankings.

What has changed is some of the middle and bottom teams in these rankings. Those teams move up with good drafts. A few doing so were the Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins.

That's not to say any of them are sure to make the playoffs -- Jacksonville likely won't -- but the wild-card race isn't out of the question for any of them. That's what good drafting can do for a bad team.

With minicamps upon us, and training camps only two (or so) months away, the top of the league is pretty easy to figure out. What isn't easy is to identify are the two or three teams who could make the big leap.

These post-draft Power Rankings might offer a hint.
    RANK TEAM MOVE (LW)
    1 NE They used the draft to fortify the defensive front. That's smart. Tom Brady will keep this team at the top. Team to beat. (1)
    2 SEA They still have some concerns on the offensive line, but it's hard to argue with anything John Schneider does. He always seems to have guys ready to go. (2)
    3 GB They added secondary help in the draft (Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins), which was key. But did they get the right guys? (3)
    4 DAL Their Super Bowl chances may come down to character guys in Greg Hardy and second-round pick Randy Gregory. If both get on the field without issues, they will get after the passer late in the season. (4)
    5 DEN The biggest thing going forward is how Peyton Manning fits in Gary Kubiak's system. I think he will be fine. (5)
    6 AZ They had another good draft and solidified their offensive line (first-round pick D.J. Humphries, free agent Mike Iupati) this spring. That's good news for Carson Palmer as he comes off ACL surgery. (6)
    7 Cincy They have a deep roster that allowed them to take two players who likely won't start this season on their offensive line with the first two picks. They just need to get healthy, which they weren't last season. 3(10)
    8 BALT Players leave and they always seem to do a good job replacing them. That's the Ravens way. Their draft was another example of that. 1(7)
    9 INDY They have more speed outside than almost any tam in the league with the addition of Philip Dorsett. Expect a lot of shootouts. It will be fun to watch. 1(8)
    10 PITT Their first-round pick, pass rusher Bud Dupree, will bring back the pressure off the edge for the Steelers. That's been lacking. With Ben Roethlisberger under center, they will always compete for division titles. 1(9)
    11 DET They've helped their offense this spring, especially in the draft (G Laken Tomlinson, RB Ameer Abdullah), but that defense has suffered some hits. Can they get over the loss of a player like Ndamukong Suh. (11)
    12 PHILLY Chip Kelly didn't make the move to get Marcus Mariota, which means it's Sam Bradford time. If he's on the field, he will be fine this season. (12)
    13 SD Now that Philip Rivers isn't going anywhere -- was he ever? -- they remain a contender in the AFC West. Adding Melvin Gordon will help. (13)
    14 The Panthers took a strange approach to the draft, not taking an offensive lineman with their first two picks, but they still remain the team to beat in the NFC South. 1(15)
    15 GM Rick Spielman had another good draft (Trae Waynes, Eric Kendricks) and this team is loaded with young talent. If Teddy Bridgewater continues to grow, they could be a playoff team. 6(21)
    16 They've had a heck of an offseason, adding Ndamukong Suh and then having a good draft. Ryan Tannehill has to love getting receiver DeVante Parker. 1(17)
    17 I think they overachieved last season, so it will be tough to get to 9-7 again, considering the quarterback issues. If they can get one in next year's draft, look out. 1(16)
    18 They improved up front with first-round tackle Ereck Flowers, which will help Eli Manning and the running game. Landon Collins should help the back end of the defense. (18)
    19 New coach Jim Tomsula faces a tough first year with a lot of change. That defense isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. 5(14)
    20 I know everybody is excited about Rex Ryan and this defense. But it's all about the quarterback spot. It's hard to scheme around it. 3(23)
    21 KC They will enter the season as the third team in their division. Did they do enough in the offseason to be the second team? 1(20)
    22 The re-design of this roster is in full force. They might not be the same style of team as they've been, but they can still throw it around when need be. 3(19)
    23 New coach Dan Quinn got some much-needed defensive help in the draft, led by pass rusher Vic Beasley. That unit has to make big strides in 2015. 1(24)
    24 Their draft says they will be going to more of a power-running style, the Jeff Fisher way. Is that a good thing? 1(23)
    25 They had as good a draft as any team in the league, and there young talent base is outstanding. It's all on Blake Bortles now. 2(27)
    26 This season is all about Jay Cutler. Can the new staff get him playing better? Will the addition of receiver Kevin White help make that possible? The defense can't be as bad as a year ago, which will help. (26)
    27 OAK I like where this team is heading. They have a lot of good, young pieces, including first-round receiver Amari Cooper, a nice weapon for Derek Carr. 3(30)
    28 They added some good football players in the draft -- especially Danny Shelton -- but with their quarterback situation being what it is, how much better are they? 1(29)
    29 I am a big believer in Jameis Winston as an NFL prospect. Now that he's in the fold, they will be better. How much better is the question. 3(32)
    30 They should be really good on defense, and they've made some solid additions on offense, but it's all about the quarterback. Do they have one? 5(25)
    31 They will go through a growing process with Marcus Mariota playing quarterback, so it could be more about 2016 for this team. (31)
    32 Have they really solved their quarterback issues? It all hangs on Robert Griffin III. At least his line got help in the draft. 4(28)
    Last edited by Formula 21; 05-06-2015, 09:56 AM.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I saw another one yesterday, but I didn't bother posting. ESPN has the Chargers at #13 as well.

Comment

• UtahBolt
      Did we win?
      • Jun 2013
      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      Pete Prisco
      Pete Prisco
      Senior NFL Columnist
      NFL Power Rankings: Jags, Vikings and Dolphins on rise after draft
      May 5, 2015 8:22 AM ET

Did the NFL Draft change the thinking about the top teams in the NFL?

Not really.

Most top teams use the draft to fill in holes, prepare for the future, and maybe hit on a starter or two for next season.

The New England Patriots drafted a bunch of defensive linemen early to help fortify a unit in need of assistance, helping to keep them as the best team in the league and atop my post-draft Power Rankings.

What has changed is some of the middle and bottom teams in these rankings. Those teams move up with good drafts. A few doing so were the Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins.

That's not to say any of them are sure to make the playoffs -- Jacksonville likely won't -- but the wild-card race isn't out of the question for any of them. That's what good drafting can do for a bad team.

With minicamps upon us, and training camps only two (or so) months away, the top of the league is pretty easy to figure out. What isn't easy is to identify are the two or three teams who could make the big leap.

These post-draft Power Rankings might offer a hint.
      RANK TEAM MOVE (LW)
      1 NE They used the draft to fortify the defensive front. That's smart. Tom Brady will keep this team at the top. Team to beat. (1)
      2 SEA They still have some concerns on the offensive line, but it's hard to argue with anything John Schneider does. He always seems to have guys ready to go. (2)
      3 GB They added secondary help in the draft (Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins), which was key. But did they get the right guys? (3)
      4 DAL Their Super Bowl chances may come down to character guys in Greg Hardy and second-round pick Randy Gregory. If both get on the field without issues, they will get after the passer late in the season. (4)
      5 DEN The biggest thing going forward is how Peyton Manning fits in Gary Kubiak's system. I think he will be fine. (5)6 AZ They had another good draft and solidified their offensive line (first-round pick D.J. Humphries, free agent Mike Iupati) this spring. That's good news for Carson Palmer as he comes off ACL surgery. (6)
      7 Cincy They have a deep roster that allowed them to take two players who likely won't start this season on their offensive line with the first two picks. They just need to get healthy, which they weren't last season. 3(10)
      8 BALT Players leave and they always seem to do a good job replacing them. That's the Ravens way. Their draft was another example of that. 1(7)
      9 INDY They have more speed outside than almost any tam in the league with the addition of Philip Dorsett. Expect a lot of shootouts. It will be fun to watch. 1(8)
      10 PITT Their first-round pick, pass rusher Bud Dupree, will bring back the pressure off the edge for the Steelers. That's been lacking. With Ben Roethlisberger under center, they will always compete for division titles. 1(9)
      11 DET They've helped their offense this spring, especially in the draft (G Laken Tomlinson, RB Ameer Abdullah), but that defense has suffered some hits. Can they get over the loss of a player like Ndamukong Suh. (11)
      12 PHILLY Chip Kelly didn't make the move to get Marcus Mariota, which means it's Sam Bradford time. If he's on the field, he will be fine this season. (12)
      13 SD Now that Philip Rivers isn't going anywhere -- was he ever? -- they remain a contender in the AFC West. Adding Melvin Gordon will help. (13)
      14 The Panthers took a strange approach to the draft, not taking an offensive lineman with their first two picks, but they still remain the team to beat in the NFC South. 1(15)
      15 GM Rick Spielman had another good draft (Trae Waynes, Eric Kendricks) and this team is loaded with young talent. If Teddy Bridgewater continues to grow, they could be a playoff team. 6(21)
      16 They've had a heck of an offseason, adding Ndamukong Suh and then having a good draft. Ryan Tannehill has to love getting receiver DeVante Parker. 1(17)
      17 I think they overachieved last season, so it will be tough to get to 9-7 again, considering the quarterback issues. If they can get one in next year's draft, look out. 1(16)
      18 They improved up front with first-round tackle Ereck Flowers, which will help Eli Manning and the running game. Landon Collins should help the back end of the defense. (18)
      19 New coach Jim Tomsula faces a tough first year with a lot of change. That defense isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. 5(14)
      20 I know everybody is excited about Rex Ryan and this defense. But it's all about the quarterback spot. It's hard to scheme around it. 3(23)
      21 KC They will enter the season as the third team in their division. Did they do enough in the offseason to be the second team? 1(20)
      22 The re-design of this roster is in full force. They might not be the same style of team as they've been, but they can still throw it around when need be. 3(19)
      23 New coach Dan Quinn got some much-needed defensive help in the draft, led by pass rusher Vic Beasley. That unit has to make big strides in 2015. 1(24)
      24 Their draft says they will be going to more of a power-running style, the Jeff Fisher way. Is that a good thing? 1(23)
      25 They had as good a draft as any team in the league, and there young talent base is outstanding. It's all on Blake Bortles now. 2(27)
      26 This season is all about Jay Cutler. Can the new staff get him playing better? Will the addition of receiver Kevin White help make that possible? The defense can't be as bad as a year ago, which will help. (26)
      27 OAK I like where this team is heading. They have a lot of good, young pieces, including first-round receiver Amari Cooper, a nice weapon for Derek Carr. 3(30)
      28 They added some good football players in the draft -- especially Danny Shelton -- but with their quarterback situation being what it is, how much better are they? 1(29)
      29 I am a big believer in Jameis Winston as an NFL prospect. Now that he's in the fold, they will be better. How much better is the question. 3(32)
      30 They should be really good on defense, and they've made some solid additions on offense, but it's all about the quarterback. Do they have one? 5(25)
      31 They will go through a growing process with Marcus Mariota playing quarterback, so it could be more about 2016 for this team. (31)
      32 Have they really solved their quarterback issues? It all hangs on Robert Griffin III. At least his line got help in the draft. 4(28)
      That should read how Gary Kubiak fits into Peyton Manning's system.
      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Prisco seems to want us to guess what teams he is referring to, or maybe he doesn't expect anyone to get past #14.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          Prisco seems to want us to guess what teams he is referring to, or maybe he doesn't expect anyone to get past #14.
          Bad original, all the teams were pictures and they didn't copy. I only added the top teams because I'm lazy.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Heres the link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              Bad original, all the teams were pictures and they didn't copy. I only added the top teams because I'm lazy.
              Ya lazy lout! How many jobs you got mon?
              sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                Ya lazy lout! How many jobs you got mon?
                Ya lazy coconut blood clot

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2015
                  • Send PM

Here are mine:
                  1. Packers:Seahawks: It took a pretty lucky play to wrest the Super Bowl away from these guys. They are edged by GB because of their weak offensive line.
                  2. Colts: All of the aging talent that Indy has collected should have one big push to offer before falling apart. With Luck, it could prove enough to be the class of a down AFC.
                  3. Patriots: With no Revis and no Brady for the first four, I think the Patriots are going to be very good but not the championship caliber team we saw in 2014.
                  4. Cardinals: Arizona has been one of the league's toughest teams when Palmer plays. A much improved OL should help them keep him on the field.
                  5. Lions: Despite losing Suh, the Lions are loaded on both sides of the ball and could be the most perfectly balance team in the league based on personnel.
                  6. Ravens: A healthy secondary will give a big boost to the defense, while Ozzy has reloaded on the offensive side with playmakers to orbit that great OL.
                  7. Cowboys: I believe the OL will carry the running game, and the defense will have better players to work with. Getting one of the best rookies for a song sure helps.
                  8. Broncos: Still dangerous, but key losses on both sides of the ball could hurt knock them down a peg. Manning could suffer behind this offensive line.
                  9. Dolphins: With the exception of OG, Miami is loaded across the roster. Tannehill will have tons of support and his arrow has been pointing up anyways.
                  10. Chargers: Health and a running game will go a long way towards getting this team into double digit wins. The OL and Gordon should address those issues.
                  11. Steelers: A team with great strengths and terrible weaknesses, they'll have to overcome a way tougher schedule in 2015 if they want to have similar success.
                  12. Vikings: An ascendant group that should have its best QB in years and a super ticked off AP running roughshod for at least one more season.
                  13. Saints: The defensive personnel is too good to repeat last year's woeful performance, and I actually like the run-heavy direction of the offense.
                  14. Bengals: The roster is still very talented, but they're led by Andy Dalton and haven't made any real improvements for 2015. Pass rush still a big issue.
                  15. Giants: The arrow on offense is pointing up in a big way, while the defense added two strong rookie talents and should be much healthier in 2015 by virtue of the law of averages.
                  16. Eagles: Kelly made a lot of nonsensical moves this offseason, and is left with a team whose success seemingly hinges on two very injury prone running backs.
                  17. Falcons: I love Shanahan's fit with this personnel group, and I do think Quinn will give the defense a boost, but talent wise I don't think they're quite there yet.
                  18. Panthers: I really want to like the Panthers, but their major weaknesses from 2014 haven't really gone away, so it's difficult for me to see them taking a step forward.
                  19. 49ers: I actually like the offensive personnel quite a bit, but Kaep hasn't developed. On defense, the front 7 has fallen apart which exposes a very weak secondary.
                  20. Chiefs: The roster continues to go backwards, especially on the offensive line, and the team is locked into a QB who isn't talented enough to overcome deficiencies.
                  21. Jaguars: I see Bortles making a leap in year two, especially with the Jags having upgraded the roster all over the place, not excluding the offensive line.
                  22. Titans: I'm a fan of Mariota, and with decent play under center I think a lot of the talent on this roster will show out. Look for David Cobb to help early.
                  23. Jets: The defense will be greatly improved, but the other side of the ball is still run by Geno Smith behind the same line he has in 2014.
                  24. Texans: Houston has a strong roster but they're capped by their QB play. I would rank them higher if I thought Clowney stood a better chance to help in 2015.
                  25. Rams: I don't see Foles as an upgrade at QB, so I think this is still the same dirty, middling, Jeff Fisher led team. Another 6-8 win season for the most overrated coach in the game.
                  26. Bills: The Bills are getting a lot of love this offseason for their overall talent level, but I see the same exact club as I did last year but with arguably less going on under center.
                  27. Bears: The offense is still led by the coach killer, while the defense is going to take more time than this one offseason to rebuild. They'll need a new QB before anything really changes.
                  28. Redskins: I don't see RGIII ever bouncing back, and this roster isn't nearly strong enough to win without good QB play. They'll be a great landing spot for a top QB in 2016.
                  29. Browns: Cleveland has a much tougher schedule in 2015, and still has questionable play at QB with very limited targets to work with.
                  30. Raiders: How Carr got so much credit for such paltry play I have no idea, but I think the Raiders remain one of the worst rosters in the NFL.
                  31. Buccaneers: I tend to think Winston is going to be a bust, so that leaves this team in essentially the same place it was in 2014.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
                    Here are mine:
                    1. Packers:Seahawks: It took a pretty lucky play to wrest the Super Bowl away from these guys. They are edged by GB because of their weak offensive line.
                    2. Colts: All of the aging talent that Indy has collected should have one big push to offer before falling apart. With Luck, it could prove enough to be the class of a down AFC.
                    3. Patriots: With no Revis and no Brady for the first four, I think the Patriots are going to be very good but not the championship caliber team we saw in 2014.
                    4. Cardinals: Arizona has been one of the league's toughest teams when Palmer plays. A much improved OL should help them keep him on the field.
                    5. Lions: Despite losing Suh, the Lions are loaded on both sides of the ball and could be the most perfectly balance team in the league based on personnel.
                    6. Ravens: A healthy secondary will give a big boost to the defense, while Ozzy has reloaded on the offensive side with playmakers to orbit that great OL.
                    7. Cowboys: I believe the OL will carry the running game, and the defense will have better players to work with. Getting one of the best rookies for a song sure helps.
                    8. Broncos: Still dangerous, but key losses on both sides of the ball could hurt knock them down a peg. Manning could suffer behind this offensive line.
                    9. Dolphins: With the exception of OG, Miami is loaded across the roster. Tannehill will have tons of support and his arrow has been pointing up anyways.
                    10. Chargers: Health and a running game will go a long way towards getting this team into double digit wins. The OL and Gordon should address those issues.
                    11. Steelers: A team with great strengths and terrible weaknesses, they'll have to overcome a way tougher schedule in 2015 if they want to have similar success.
                    12. Vikings: An ascendant group that should have its best QB in years and a super ticked off AP running roughshod for at least one more season.
                    13. Saints: The defensive personnel is too good to repeat last year's woeful performance, and I actually like the run-heavy direction of the offense.
                    14. Bengals: The roster is still very talented, but they're led by Andy Dalton and haven't made any real improvements for 2015. Pass rush still a big issue.
                    15. Giants: The arrow on offense is pointing up in a big way, while the defense added two strong rookie talents and should be much healthier in 2015 by virtue of the law of averages.
                    16. Eagles: Kelly made a lot of nonsensical moves this offseason, and is left with a team whose success seemingly hinges on two very injury prone running backs.
                    17. Falcons: I love Shanahan's fit with this personnel group, and I do think Quinn will give the defense a boost, but talent wise I don't think they're quite there yet.
                    18. Panthers: I really want to like the Panthers, but their major weaknesses from 2014 haven't really gone away, so it's difficult for me to see them taking a step forward.
                    19. 49ers: I actually like the offensive personnel quite a bit, but Kaep hasn't developed. On defense, the front 7 has fallen apart which exposes a very weak secondary.
                    20. Chiefs: The roster continues to go backwards, especially on the offensive line, and the team is locked into a QB who isn't talented enough to overcome deficiencies.
                    21. Jaguars: I see Bortles making a leap in year two, especially with the Jags having upgraded the roster all over the place, not excluding the offensive line.
                    22. Titans: I'm a fan of Mariota, and with decent play under center I think a lot of the talent on this roster will show out. Look for David Cobb to help early.
                    23. Jets: The defense will be greatly improved, but the other side of the ball is still run by Geno Smith behind the same line he has in 2014.
                    24. Texans: Houston has a strong roster but they're capped by their QB play. I would rank them higher if I thought Clowney stood a better chance to help in 2015.
                    25. Rams: I don't see Foles as an upgrade at QB, so I think this is still the same dirty, middling, Jeff Fisher led team. Another 6-8 win season for the most overrated coach in the game.
                    26. Bills: The Bills are getting a lot of love this offseason for their overall talent level, but I see the same exact club as I did last year but with arguably less going on under center.
                    27. Bears: The offense is still led by the coach killer, while the defense is going to take more time than this one offseason to rebuild. They'll need a new QB before anything really changes.
                    28. Redskins: I don't see RGIII ever bouncing back, and this roster isn't nearly strong enough to win without good QB play. They'll be a great landing spot for a top QB in 2016.
                    29. Browns: Cleveland has a much tougher schedule in 2015, and still has questionable play at QB with very limited targets to work with.
                    30. Raiders: How Carr got so much credit for such paltry play I have no idea, but I think the Raiders remain one of the worst rosters in the NFL.
                    31. Buccaneers: I tend to think Winston is going to be a bust, so that leaves this team in essentially the same place it was in 2014.
                    I wrote something here, then realized I read your message wrong. I suck at reading and now can't figure out where the delete button is.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                      I wrote something here, then realized I read your message wrong. I suck at reading and now can't figure out where the delete button is.
                      been there, done that. yeah it's a shortcoming of the site.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Love the Rams preview
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X