• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2015
    • Send PM

AFC West Positional Rankings

This is something that I've done every year after the draft on another board, so I'll re-post it here in case anyone is interested.

Quarterback: Peyton ManningPhilip Rivers started last season on fire, playing at an MVP level. Injuries and lack of support eventually caught up with him, so 2015 will largely hinge on how well those deficiencies were addressed. If all goes well, he could end this next season on top. Alex SmithDerek Carr is a testament to just how terrible the QB play has been in Oakland for the last decade plus. In reality, he racked up a lot of garbage yards and still looks shaky under pressure when he actually holds the ball long enough for it to reach him.
    1. Broncos
    2. Chargers
    3. Chiefs
    4. Raiders

Running Back: The Chiefs have one of the best running backs in the game today in Jamaal CharlesKnile Davis is fumble prone and less able to deal with the OL issues, but remains a talented backup. It remains to be seen how well Melvin GordonDanny Woodhead along with Branden Oliver as a talented backup. The Broncos have a good player in C.J. Anderson, but the waters are murky in Denver with Kubiak installing a different offense. Ronnie Hillman could very well push for the lead role, being a good fit for a one-cut zone attack. In Oakland, Latavius MurrayRoy Helu is a good 3rd down back, but Trent Richardson is kind of a joke as a RB2.
    1. Chiefs
    2. Chargers
    3. Broncos
    4. Raiders

Wide Receiver:Emanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas still leaves them comfortably on top of the division. Cody Latimer will be the one to watch this season. The Chargers have two players in Keenan Allen and Stevie Johnson who could push or exceed 1000 yards, while Malcom Floyd is still hanging in there. The Raiders have a lot of interesting names, but little proven talent. Amari CooperMichael Crabtree can bounce back from injury. The Chiefs bring up the rear on this list. Jeremy MaclinChris Conley
    1. Broncos
    2. Chargers
    3. Raiders
    4. Chiefs

Tight End:Antonio Gates still proved to be a force last season, but age is catching up with him and the Chargers really need Ladarius Green to begin taking some of the load off in 2015. The Raiders look to have a nifty pairing for the future in Mychal Rivera and Larry Walford if the latter pans out. Denver brings up the rear after losing their pro bowler in the offseason and replacing him with aging Kubiak hanger-ons in Owen Daniels and James Casey. Jeff Heuerman figured to help here before getting hurt. I will say that Virgil Green
    1. Chiefs
    2. Chargers
    3. Raiders
    4. Broncos

Offensive Line:Donald Penn is a solid left tackle, Gabe Jackson was a nice addition as a rookie, they added an upper echelon center in Rodney Hudson, and Austin Howard is a decent player. They really only have one major hole, which may or may not be filled adequately by in-house talent. The Chargers are in a very similar situation up front, with King Dunlap serving as a capable left tackle, Orlando Franklin being their own quality addition at left guard, Chris Watt taking over center after showing some positives as a rookie, and D.J. Fluker hopefully bouncing back from a sophomore campaign that was marred by injury and conditioning issues. RG is their remaining problem just like in Oakland, and it remains to be seen if an in-house option like Johnnie Troutman, Jeremiah Sirles, or Craig WattsRyan CladyShelley Smith projects as a poor starter at left guard, 4th round rookie Max Garcia or embattled veteran Gino Gradkowski will be filling in at center (there will be issues either way), Louis VasquezTyler SambrailoEric Fisher remains below average and looks like a bust at this point. Ben GrubbsMitch Morse to center after being a tackle at Missouri (in the best of scenarios, there will be plenty of lumps taken). At RG, Jeff Allen and Zach Fulton will fight for the job. Both were sub-standard last year, but Fulton was a 6th round rookie so improvement is possible. Donald Stephenson
    1. Raiders
    2. Chargers
    3. Broncos
    4. Chiefs

Interior Defensive Line: The Chiefs lack depth up front, but they take the top spot here because of the quality of their starters. Dontari Poe is the best nose tackle in football, offering rare ability to impact both phases of the game. Allen Bailey finally put it together in 2014 and should see plenty of time at the 3 technique as a penetrating DE. And the team gets Mike Devito back from injury, who is completely one dimensional, but a very good run defender. After Kansas City, none of these groups impress me much so the remaining three are separated by narrow margin. Oakland gets the second spot because I believe Dan Williams and Justin EllisCorey Liuget, and a lot of interesting pieces (esp. Ryan Carrethers, Ricardo Mathews, and Darius Philon), but two of the three starting spots will likely be platooned. And Denver brings up the rear after losing Knighton. Sylvester Williams and Derek Wolfe have failed to pan out thus far but remain in starting roles. Malik Jackson is a good player, but it remains unclear how he will work out in a 3-4. Antonio Smith and Vance Walker are good role players.
    1. Chiefs
    2. Raiders
    3. Chargers
    4. Broncos

Edge Rusher: It was a close call here between the Chiefs and Broncos, who each have a young star, an aging veteran, and a 1st round prospect playing for them on the edge. Ultimately I think Demarcus Ware offers more than Tamba Hali so I gave the edge to Denver. They boast Von Miller and have added Shane RayJustin Houston, with the aging Hali backed up by Dee Ford, who failed to impress as a rookie. The Raiders take the 3rd spot for the simple reason that they employ Khalil MackMelvin Ingram and Jeremiah Attaochu have flashed, but neither have found consistency. Meanwhile the depth is equally murky, with Tourek Williams and 5th round rookie Kyle Emanuel
    1. Broncos
    2. Chiefs
    3. Raiders
    4. Chargers

Off-LOS Linebacker: The Broncos have two good finds starting for them inside in Danny Trevathan and Brandon Marshall. Both are quality linebackers, which makes Denver to the top team in this category. The Chargers are 2nd by virtue of how weak KC and OAK are. is developing into a good WILL, while Denzel Perryman should provide a significant boost to the MIKE spot. Donald Butler looks like a bust of a signing. Kansas City gets Derrick JohnsonJames Michael-JohnsonSio Moore is a decent enough starter, but Curtis Lofton is a liability, while the other position will have to be filled by rookies Neiron Ball or Ben Heeney.
    1. Broncos
    2. Chargers
    3. Chiefs
    4. Raiders

Cornerback:Brandon FlowersJason Verrett was sensational as a rookie. Patrick Robinson is an upgrade as the 3rd corner, and should have some competition from Craig Mager and Steve Williams. In Denver, Chris Harris Jr provides outstanding coverage, while Aqib Talib is still a quality starter for all his ups and downs. Bradley Roby was solid as a rookie, which is saying something at this position. Kayvon Webster and Tony Carter are nice players to have in the 4th and 5th spots. The Chiefs got good play out of Sean Smith last season and spent their first round pick on Marcus Peters. Phillip Gaines started to come on down the stretch, and should be a quality 3rd corner in 2015. The Raiders are in a tough spot, with T.J. Carrie and D.J. Hayden both average at best, and very little to count on behind them.
    1. Chargers
    2. Broncos
    3. Chiefs
    4. Raiders

Safety:Eric Weddle, which is enough to keep them at #1 despite having to sort through Jimmy Wilson or Jahleel Addae at the other spot. The Broncos are in a similar position, with one quality starter in T.J. Ward and a lot of unattractive options at the other (Darian Stewart?). The Chiefs got decent play out of Husain Abdullah last season, and will feature Tyvon BranchCharles Woodson in one starting spot, and will start barely average Nate Allen at the other.
    1. Chargers
    2. Broncos
    3. Chiefs
    4. Raiders
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

No special teams ranking? I agree with just about all of it, but would give KC the edge at S, and Denver the edge at CB for now because of depth.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2015
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      No special teams ranking? I agree with just about all of it, but would give KC the edge at S, and Denver the edge at CB for now because of depth.
      You'd give KC the edge over us at safety? Seriously?

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
        You'd give KC the edge over us at safety? Seriously?
        Yeah, we have nothing beyond Weddle, and who knows if he will hold out at this point. The rest of the division is close but at least they have some bodies.
        sigpic

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2015
          • Send PM

Yeah, we have nothing beyond Weddle, and who knows if he will hold out at this point. The rest of the division is close but at least they have some bodies.
          Well one, we have the best safety in the game today, and two-- I don't think Addae or Wilson is much of a step down from the "bodies" that others in the division have. Weddle is vastly superior to Abdullah and Addae isn't that much different than the player Branch is today.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Agree on Weddle as far as the AFC West, but those guys aren't holding out. I wouldn't count him in yet. We are probably last without him.
            Last edited by Mister Hoarse; 05-15-2015, 12:19 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Dont get me wrong. I think your analysis was pretty damn spot on.
              sigpic

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2015
                • Send PM

Agree on Weddle as far as the AFC West, but those guys aren't holding out. I wouldn't count him in.
                Dont get me wrong. I think your analysis was pretty damn spot on.
                Well I'm not going to ding the Chargers because Weddle wants a new contract in May. But I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Btw, why is it so hard to edit a post and make it stick from a mobile phone? This thing keeps re-editing my posts.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Btw, why is it so hard to edit a post and make it stick from a mobile phone? This thing keeps re-editing my posts.
                    So all the stuff I've been repping from Mister Hoarse has been put together by a thing?

I'd love to comment on the original post, but I'm pretty ignorant to anything in the NFL outside of the Chargers.

Is Weddle really holding out? All I have read so far is that he didn't go to some voluntary training sessions. I'm expecting he'll show up when it matters.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

I do think Rivers will eat up the budget for Weddle. He is not going to get another Megacontract here, so IMO he will be moved. I just don't see him playing out his final year here without an extension.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2015
                        • Send PM

The Chargers comfortably have space for both. It shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X