• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
    I've never understood what "mean streak" means in football.

When I've heard it used regarding a player who is actually playing, and not some dude who was just drafted, it seems to mean the guy cheats. He hits after the whistle. The guy on our team who most commonly gets praised for his mean streak is Fluker. I rarely, or possibly never, hear about King Dunlap's mean streak, but the King is more valuable to us than Fluker is.

In the old days, having a mean streak probably was more beneficial. It wasn't just a few shoves after the whistle, but it was trying to bite somebody's finger off (Yes, I'm thinking of Conrad Dobler - however, there were others who were almost as brutal). Today, does it really make a huge difference that Fluker shoves somebody after the whistle a few more times than somebody like Dunlap does? Probably not.

I don't know. Mean streak isn't quite as annoying as "athleticism" or "he's a football player", but it still seems like a lot of hooey to me. I wish the announcers or prognosticators would try to be more descriptive and not throw out cliches that can be interpreted to mean all sorts of things.
    Watch Perryman for reference.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
      Everyone seemed to be throwing around "Bell Cow" last season

It's was everywhere, You couldn't escape it. Callers on talk radio were miss using it left and right. They felt like they were on the upper echelon saying "Bell Cow" this "Bell Cow" That
      We need more bell cow!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Everyone seemed to be throwing around "Bell Cow" last season

It's was everywhere, You couldn't escape it. Callers on talk radio were miss using it left and right. They felt like they were on the upper echelon saying "Bell Cow" this "Bell Cow" That
        Grrrr. Bell cow. I brought up that one last year as well.

Doesn't seem to make any sense.

A real bell cow generally goes in the front of the herd. It doesn't carry a football - it holds a bell so that cowboys can hear them.
        A football bell cow goes in the back and nobody is trying to hear him. A bell-cow runningback doesn't seem to have any cow-like characteristics that non-bell-cow runningbacks don't have.

If we're going to call a football player a bell cow, that would either be the center or the quarterback. The center is up front like a bell cow. The quarterback is heard like a bell cow is heard.

The other word I think I've brought up a lot is "elite." I have no good reason for hating this word. It's actually a real word and is used correctly by football commentators. But it bothers me to hear it during a football game. It's a football game, not a poetry slam at some Country Day school. I don't want to hear big words when a simpler word, like "best", would work as well.

Comment

• Sec-E4
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2014
          • Arizona
          • Send PM

Epic seems to be thrown around everywhere lately...Totally being misused

Like oh Man, That was such an Epic hitch route by Inman to pick up 4 yards.
          Really dude, A 4 yard catch to make it 3rd & 6 is Epic?!?!

Oh and I know it's not football related but I Hate, Hate, Hate the word BAE. For instance, Peoples FaceBook where they post, Me and my BAE are just chillen' at Olive Garden errrrr "All Of Garden"
          Last edited by Sec-E4; 05-18-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Oh and I know it's not football related but I Hate, Hate, Hate the word BAE. For instance, Peoples FaceBook where they post, Me and my BAE are just chillen' at Olive Garden
            Now I feel old because I don't know what means so I had to look it up:

So people call their gf, poop.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Oh and I know it's not football related but I Hate, Hate, Hate the word BAE. For instance, Peoples FaceBook where they post, Me and my BAE are just chillen' at Olive Garden
              How about "playing to win" as opposed to "playing not to lose." If you're not playing not to lose, then you are playing to lose, and who does that?

The only time I can think of where that made sense was when Nebraska went for a 2-point conversion to win a game when they could have just settled for a tie and a national championship.

One of the few times I can think of a team not playing to win was the game in which Ty Detmer's BYU played for a tie against my Aztecs.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                How about "playing to win" as opposed to "playing not to lose." If you're not playing not to lose, then you are playing to lose, and who does that?

The only time I can think of where that made sense was when Nebraska went for a 2-point conversion to win a game when they could have just settled for a tie and a national championship.

One of the few times I can think of a team not playing to win was the game in which Ty Detmer's BYU played for a tie against my Aztecs.
                And, yes, "Bae" is a stupid new term.

I'm trying to think of dumb slang from when I was young and dumb (as opposed to the current, even dumber, me). Possibly using bad to mean good. Or sick to mean good. Or killer to mean good. I don't know - those don't seem to be as annoying as "Bae." Maybe "Bae" just sounds too wussy.

I guess the B word my friends and I used to use for our dates was probably a lot worse than Bae. Made for some great rap songs though.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Epic posts, BAEby!

So... uh, did Barksdale singe yet?
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                    Epic posts, BAEby!

So... uh, did Barksdale singe yet?
                    been scouring the tubes on the internets and got nothing so far....hopefully he and the wife are staying a couple of days at the Hotel Del chilling at the beach.....Missouri....forget it.
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Today should be the day. If he leaves without a contract, he's probably not coming back.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2015
                        • Send PM

The book on Barksdale (as far as what is accessible to fans) ever since his LSU days is that he doesn't have the work ethic to match his considerable talent. It cost him draft position and he never really showed anything at the NFL level until he got to St. Louis and they managed to light a fire under him. Presumably, his motivation came from wanting a pay day. I would guess that any team that gave him a sizable long term deal would have a Jared Gaither situation on their hands.

All that said, this is the right time in the offseason to be kicking the tires on players like this. The price tag has bottomed out, as has the length of the deal that a player will command. He can likely be had now on a smaller, one year contract. Or at least that's all I would offer, and if he chooses to go elsewhere then so be it. Keeping things short and on the smaller side would hopefully keep him motivated. It's also past the 5/12 threshold obviously-- do acquiring him won't impact the comp pick formula.

As to where he would play, I suppose that he would probably kick Fluker inside to RG. I say that because he's only been a tackle at the NFL level, like Fluker, but unlike Fluker he's been a better pass protector than he has a run blocker. So a move inside wouldn't make as much sense to him. He won't be handed anything, but if we picked him up, I'm guessing we'd have a line of: Dunlap-Franklin-Watt-Fluker-Barksdale.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

I don't know this guy from Avon Barksdale.

Avon-wood-harris.jpg

However, I trust in the coaching staff and personell people to put an appropriate price in front of him. If he doesn't accept, well...he wanted too much.

Seems like the kind of guy who would be alright to have around.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X