• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Weddle

I have been mulling over the Weddle situation in my mind. He is one of my favorite players, unquestionably the best defensive player on this team (has been for years), durable, great team guy, the kind of player you want the rest of the team to emulate. So why not sign him to an extension? The Chargers have the money, it would send a great signal that they value and reward the qualities Weddle brings, and it would even give them more cap space (not a very big issue at this time)?

Here is why I think they are not moving, and it is a bit of a gamble, but maybe the right business decision:

- Weddle is currently already under contract. He is very well paid. In fact some pundits and NFL people made fun of the Chargers when they signed Weddle to the deal. He is not 'disrespected' from a financial standpoint.
    - Weddle is already playing, and has been playing, at the highest level imaginable for him. He has been an outstanding player. He has little room to go up.
    - Weddle is approaching an age when skills unfortunately begin to erode. There are things to do to compensate, and Weddle does them already. But eventually time wins.
    - Chargers can take advantage of observing Weddle another year and then making this decision. Why rush into a long term deal now that could hurt the team in the long run if Weddle sees a steep decline?
    - Amount Weddle makes is not going to go up after this year. It will remain high/ at near his current level whether he signs in San Diego or elsewhere. There is no risk to 'not locking him up now' from a dollars sense. He is going to be well paid no matter what and the market is pretty well known because his skill is pretty well known.
    - Chargers know Weddle wants to remain with this team, even if he is pouting now
    - Chargers don't need the cap space. And that is why an older player like Weddle is typically extended. Younger guys are extended to 'lock them up' and older guys are extended because they are known quantities and the team needs to free up short term money. Chargers don't need that from Weddle.
    - Maybe the Rivers - Weddle thing really is intertwined....can't franchise two players. Chargers need to lock up Rivers first then they can start Weddle negotiations and use the tag as leverage with Weddle if they need it???

I think too many of us rush to the "Spanos is cheap!" conclusion as a convenient explanation for things we don't like or understand. The same ones of us who will lament "Telesco put us in terrible cap space by signing Weddle to this big contract he is underperforming" should it work out that way. See Butler, Donald. I don't remember too many of us fans feeling like signing an ascending young player like Butler to a big deal was a bad move at the time. But a lot of us feel that way now.

TG
    Last edited by Heatmiser; 06-01-2015, 05:47 AM.
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Your assessment makes a lot of sense, TG.

Separately, I really hope we end up extending Weddle in the end, as he really seems to be one of the good guys you want to see retire as a Charger.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

the Weddle situation is already getting some good discussion in the NFL transactions thread, but Im re-posting my comment from there since this thread is dedicated to him.

At 1 time in Chargers history, they made Jr. Seau the highest paid LB in the NFL and also made LT the highest paid RB in the NFL- both when they were in their prime of their careers- but never saw a contract offer like that again. Weddle is at, or near, the end of his prime years and nobody is going to throw a bigger contract at him than what he just had. I'm going to guess the team offers him a 3 year deal with a lot up front and guaranteed for 1-2 years, but protects them so he can be cut in years 2,3 without killing the cap.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
        Your assessment makes a lot of sense, TG.

Separately, I really hope we end up extending Weddle in the end, as he really seems to be one of the good guys you want to see retire as a Charger.
        Or we can just replace him - this year - with Mager.

(Couldn't resist).

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

2015 franchise tag number for safety is $9.6M. Could they use that as leverage next year? It's more than the $7.5M he's making this year.

Comment

• Maverick
            (Coryellian)
            • Jun 2013
            • Point Loma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            Or we can just replace him - this year - with Mager.

(Couldn't resist).
            that would be a Mager mistake....although I also like the Mager pick quite a bit

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

I expect some serious Ground Control from Mager.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                I expect some serious Ground Control from Mager.
                As long as he takes his protein pills and puts his helmet on.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

See ya Weddle.... no contract talks, and will be gone at the end of the season, per Acee and Weddle's agent.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Chargers to Weddle: no contract talks
                    By Kevin Acee1:24 p.m.June 1, 2015

It appears the man who has started 80 straight regular season games at free safety for the team has just 16 remaining.

There will be no contract talks between the Chargers and Eric Weddle.

"He'll be excited about playing this year and then hit free agency," his agent, David Canter, said Monday.

Canter spoke after the Chargers informed him they would not be talking about a new deal for Weddle this year.

General manager Tom Telesco declined comment after the team's on-field workout.

Weddle, a two-time first-team All-Pro and three-time Pro Bowler, has not attended offseason activities in protest of the team having declined to talk about an extension to his current deal, which runs through 2015.

The team had publicly and privately said it would talk with Weddle about a new deal this offseason. Monday, they let Canter know that wouldn't be the case.

"We're disappointed and will continue to be disappointed," Canter said. "But Eric will go all out this season."
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Sounds to me like they didn't appreciate his bullshit.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                        Sounds to me like they didn't appreciate his bullshit.
                        Sounds like the bullshit happened because he didn't feel appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X