X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Charger Cannon

I have not been to a game at SoFi yet...do the Chargers still have the cannon? I remember as a kid..at Balboa stadium...that little cannon was one of my favorite things about the Chargers....they had these two guys dressed like Ice Cream parlor guys who would do it. After a touchdown, and after a PAT.

The smoke would linger for 5 minutes. On a high scoring day, the stadium would fill with smoke like a fog.

What are your memories of the cannon if any.
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

I think I heard somewhere that it has been retired.

I remember Belichick saying how he hated the damn thing,
    working as a young assistant coach on the Giants when they played Coryell's Chargers.

Personally, i have fond memories of the cannon.
    One of the little things that made the NFL endearing back in the day that it now lacks.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Also Wade Phillips getting visibly flustered when he was opposing the Chargers.

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

After 37 years, Chargers’ ‘Cannon Man’ will not go to Los Angeles

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...327-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
          After 37 years, Chargers’ ‘Cannon Man’ will not go to Los Angeles

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...327-story.html

Thanks...interesting article....I had no idea that the canon was privately owned and used since 1961. cmon man....they need a canon...maybe get some type of air canon that does not pollute...but that is a charger tradition...oh well.

From the article:
          ​​​​​​“My biggest disappointment is I haven’t heard anything,” he said. “I never received one official word from anyone.

Not cool of the Spanos at all. This guy should have been honored in some type of ceremony. Put in the Charger Hall of Fame.

People sometimes...just don't get them.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post

Thanks...interesting article....I had no idea that the canon was privately owned and used since 1961. cmon man....they need a canon...maybe get some type of air canon that does not pollute...but that is a charger tradition...oh well.

From the article:
            ​​​​​​“My biggest disappointment is I haven’t heard anything,” he said. “I never received one official word from anyone.

Not cool of the Spanos at all. This guy should have been honored in some type of ceremony. Put in the Charger Hall of Fame.

People sometimes...just don't get them.
            Drew Brees putting together a group and moving it back to San Diego, with a new Stadium stadium financed through bonds and the ownership group's capitol, and removing all reference to the Spanos Family is my dream.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Drew Brees putting together a group and moving it back to San Diego, with a new Stadium stadium financed through bonds and the ownership group's capitol, and removing all reference to the Spanos Family is my dream.
              Pipe dream.

No one is moving to San Diego because San Diego is not trying to get anyone to move here. The NFL is bigtime now, not a growing leage trying to establish itself. Small markets have to make themselves lucrative and San Diego doesn't care to do that anymore. San Diego is not a city that has dreams of growing and being big time anymore. We have reached our growth potential and politically the population has shifted to the side that doesn't like to help rich people make more money. We may get an MLS team because thats a struggling league trying to grow.

We will never get an NHL, NBA, or NFL team ever again in the future
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                • Jun 2013
                • Palm Springs
                • I know nothing
                • Send PM

I watched the latest "All In" last night and they had a shot of the cannon like somewhere up in the suites. Don't remember if it fired or not.

Comment

• Hard Charger
                  Chargers fan since 1977!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt Schultz View Post
                  I watched the latest "All In" last night and they had a shot of the cannon like somewhere up in the suites. Don't remember if it fired or not.
                  I knew I seen a cannon somewhere…. Don’t know if it was the same, it just caught my eye at the last second.

HC

Comment

• SBbound
                    Casual fanatic
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Merced/San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    Also Wade Phillips getting visibly flustered when he was opposing the Chargers.
                    Is that the one where they fired it right behind the visitor's bench, if that's the one I'm thinking of Wade arched his back and damn near came out of his shoes. Pretty funny.

And yes, the Chargers fire the cannon after every score on a raised platform behind section 210. It should make raider fans feel at home.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Comment

Forget to mention...in the game against the Radahs...I definitely heard a boom after the Parham touchdown catch. I think the Chargers have a cannon at Sofi.

Comment

Working...
                        X