Browns @ Chargers Game Day Thread / Post Game Discussion (Wk 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Every single 4th down decisions so far has been supported by analytics.

Going for 2 when down by 8 (instead of kicking xp to be down by 7) is supported by analytics. He did that too.

The decisions have been aggressive AND sound. As opposed to "I know that math says go for it, but I'm scared".

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

not into making an inseason trade atm.... we're Game 6 and far as I can tell, are more than a player away, and....

looking @the snap counts, do think Staley is doing a hellah job of getting the most outta this roster, as only see a coupla few players that might be able to give us more by season's end:

not sure if Merrill can get better, but wouldn't be in shock if he started inching toward John Parella good, and.... if we can get some real receiver 3 play outta either of Palmer or Hill, would not be in shock either, as not sure Guyton is a true #3 ??
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Let's see...

You criticize Telesco for sleeping... you believe Telesco is vacationing, rather than paying attention to what's going on with the team, and you say he "won't be bothered" to address a team weakness.

If you believe that Telesco is *this* guy, then it's reasonable for me to conclude that you believe the season isn't salvageable. Because, according to you, Telesco is asleep, or not around, and he doesn't care. If all that's true, this season IS lost, and so is a lot more.

I'm not MAKING ACCUSATIONS, I'm drawing conclusions about your opinions, based on what you've said in posts.

Maybe you're just really, really, *REALLY* emotional, say things in outbursts, and then don't like it when people take you at your word. Because your 'word' , frankly, constitutes a pretty embarrassing take.

But sure. Get mad at me, instead. It's okay. You just be you, and we'll all carry on.
        You’re reaching. You are drawing conclusions but it’s incorrect conclusions.

I could say the Bills GM is sleeping and won’t make any in-season moves and that doesn’t mean I think their season is doomed. Or same with any other team.

I said Telesco is sleeping based on his history of not doing trades, not based on how well the team is doing right now. That should be obvious.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• MagicMamba88
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Comment

• Boltdiehard
            The Precious
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
            I love these and Derwin knows the defense needs to step up this week. Good times and go Chargers. :beer:

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by johnnywyoming View Post
              I have Game Pass so I did not see the game until this afternoon... I really think that I am in shock; walking around babbling to myself. WOW! The old days are gone boys (and girls)! I had to add the parenthesis because, after forty-three years of listening to me ebb and flow about the Chargers, suddenly, even before the first game, my wife has become a die-hard, monster of a fan! I used to watch most of the games by myself. But, I mean yelling, jumping out of her chair, and knowing what is going on in the game... That's a double shock to me but I believe I'll be able to handle it...:nod:
              Yep, yep, and more yep. Shock and awe.

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
                Man, Herbert makes Derwin look like a kid. Derwin is looking up at him.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I believe LAC had a specific play in their toolbox that was used here.

They knew how CLE would line up and defend this look.

The trap block was inevitably successful.

#preparation
                  #filmstudy

Analytics, my kulu.
                  You don't see many teams running an outside trap play anymore. It is even more gutsy because the guy with the key block on Garrett was Schofield who has been back in our uniform 2 or 3 weeks? That is a lot of confidence on a play that doesn't get used that much, but it is an excellent call to go at a guy who you KNOW is going to get penetration. And a nice job of window dressing by putting the "bunch" (cluster) right next to Garrett to make it seem like you are just trying to widen the formation and get the 2ndary and LB guys to draw their attention away from the trap hole.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Problem runs were off tackle. With the extra TEs in to block the RBs could pick from more lanes as they extended the play.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Thanks Steve.
                      And EQ.
                      Love the detail !!

​Linsley sealed off. Ek followed Scho beautifully. Yesterday, Rich Gannon called Ekeler "best in the business" at screens. Austin hides, reads, and explodes.

We know how good Chubb and Hunt are at things like contact balance and vision.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

GREAT game! Our culture now has been established and it seems all the players are on board the Staley express. The good! Herbert & Staley... The bad! Our FG kicker missing 2 extra points the ugly! I'm calling out our DT's and LB's it has been now several games where you have been unable to stop & tackle the better RB''s we face. Could someone please tell them this is one of their main assignments this is what they get paid for and they as of today are the weak link and embarrassing to watch.

Joey Bosa also needs to get out the way of himself and focus on the fundamentals and just have fun. It looks like he's pressing a bit and we need his game especially in this next one. We have to be careful as well when teams start to figure us out a bit. We know teams are going to try to run on us, and for sure this next game Jackson is going to try to go for a 100 plus on the ground.

Gotta love what Electric Ekeler is doing, and Mike Williams is the man!

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

You don't see many teams running an outside trap play anymore. It is even more gutsy because the guy with the key block on Garrett was Schofield who has been back in our uniform 2 or 3 weeks? That is a lot of confidence on a play that doesn't get used that much, but it is an excellent call to go at a guy who you KNOW is going to get penetration. And a nice job of window dressing by putting the "bunch" (cluster) right next to Garrett to make it seem like you are just trying to widen the formation and get the 2ndary and LB guys to draw their attention away from the trap hole.
                          Really incredible when you realize the game was basically on the line and reliant on Schofield getting across the line to handle Myles Garrett. Like you say, a guy that had just been added to the team recently. Yet executed perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                          X