Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers still weak vs the run...

Scout's take: Chargers still soft against the run
    2h
    EmailComment
    Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer
    We continue our examination of the San Diego Chargers' areas of weakness this week with ESPN NFL Insider Matt Williamson.

The Chargers struggled to defend the run last season, giving up an average of 4.53 yards per carry, No. 29 in the NFL. San Diego has not had a dominating nose tackle up front since Jamaal Williams left the team in 2009.

Sean Lissemore is penciled in as San Diego's starting defensive tackle, and he should get competition for playing time from second-year pro Ryan Carrethers.

Sean Lissemore and the rest of the Chargers' defensive line will work more in the offseason on defending the run. AP Photo/Ben Margot
    "Nose tackle to me is a weakness," Williamson said. "Lissemore's OK, but he's not going to control two gaps or eat up double teams."

Defensive coordinator John Pagano indicated the team runs more of a movement 3-4 defensive front that does not rely on a two-gap nose tackle. Still, Williamson said you need a big guy who can control things up front.

"It's kind of a catch-22 nowadays," Williams said. "Let's say the Chargers had [Vince] Wilfork or [Casey] Hampton in their prime. If I'm the opponent, I'm just going to put you in nickel and have him hold his helmet all game. And if you don't have him, then I'm just going to run up the gut on you all game.

"So you'd love to have one. But to have a great player at that position, it's going to eat up a lot of [salary] cap room. And you can scheme a way that he's not even in the game."

Williamson noted that athletic freaks such as Kansas City's Dontari Poe are exceptions to that rule because they can play on all three downs, and that players like Wilfork could still be productive at times in passing situations.

Because offenses are throwing the football more, Williamson said that NFL defenses are willing to give up a little bit in terms of slowing downs offenses that run the football to get faster players on the field.

Pagano said the Chargers used at least five defensive backs in different sub packages 69.8 percent of the time in 2014.

"I actually think NFL defenses are starting to concede a little bit, just saying we're going to be lighter and more athletic at the second level, and we need pass-rushers," Williamson said. "And if we allow 4.2 yards a carry, we can live with that because on offense we're going to throw. I just think it's de-emphasized a little bit more than in recent history.

"But then Seattle comes to town -- there's still teams that are going to pound your face. New England is a perfect example. If you're going to play it that way, then they're just going to hand it to (LeGarrette) Blount over and over with super big personnel."

So how do you stop teams that run the football if you don't have the personnel to match up?

"The rules are sort of prohibitive, but if you can find a lot man coverage defenders like Eric Weddle, who can come down and guard the slot -- or a long, lanky, athletic linebacker that can run with a tight end -- then you can blitz more and put more people on the line of scrimmage," Williamson said. "And then you can afford to have a fat guy in the middle on third and 4.

"I think they are compensating in some ways by having more versatile defenders that can play man, and then you can account for another gap sometimes by putting more guys near the line of scrimmage."

Williamson said while athletic linebackers such as Brandon Marshall of the Denver Broncos or Lavonte David of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers might struggle taking on guard at the line of scrimmage in the run game, teams are willing to concede that in order to get more speed and defenders in pursuit of the football on the field.

Time to talk some football!
    Go Rivers!
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

For a start, I'd like to know what Pagano considers a movement 3-4 front. Then, he's not two gapping anymore because we don't have personnel that can do that. So he's invented his own flavor of the month?
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Chargers Areas Of Weakness week?
      Can't wait for the article on Ownership.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

We haven't used a 2gap nt since the early 90's. Even with jamal, we played our nt in gaps and asked them to penetrate. The flavor nt we play has never asked the nt to 2 gap, and it dates back to when BUM Phillips brought it to the nfl in the 70's.

The thing i don't understand when these idiot sportswriter have the need to show their stupidity, why wouldn't we also want true 2 gap DE too? When 34 teams 2 gap a lot, they do it with the whole front, not just the nt.

Williamson is assumng that we consistently give up 4 or 5 yards. We don't. But for idiot sportswriters who don't bother to do their homework it reads well.

The real problem is giving up long runs on just a few plays. So is it worth getting a huge slobber knocking nt? Would a huge nt even be on the field? If we want the run D to improve we need better play from the de and lb, because they are on the field.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Oh, but doesn't it feel good to actually talk a little football for a change???
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• homeless simpson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            For a start, I'd like to know what Pagano considers a movement 3-4 front.
            Opposing OL pushes our DL, so...they moved. Voila!

Comment

Working...
            X