• Centella
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rivers Quarterback Rating

• Lightningwill_420

Ah ha.
    Another pet peeve is the use of the word, "presence."

Philip Rivers scores high on "pocket presence." Yes, he's 6'5 and isn't skinny. When he's in the pocket, his presence should be pretty fricking obvious.

In the NFL, pocket presence is kind of a shitty trait. Wouldn't it be better if somebody were less present - as in less visible? If Rivers were to get a 0 rating for pocket presence, he'd be nearly impossible to sack. In fact, he could probably sneak through the defense, even at his slow pace, and make it all the way to the end
    zone on every play, every game if his presence were at a zero rating. Now, "end zone presence," as long it's the correct end zone, is a trait I'd like to see more of this year from the San Diego Chargers.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Command or use of the pocket might be a better term. But that is what football people call it, so that is the word, like it or not. Words and phrases have lots of definitions and football people can use their phrases as they see fit. As a scientist it always pisses me off how many people think the dictionary definition of words applies to things in science, but even though it doesn't, people still try.

Rivers knows how to hang in and get every last instance out of being in the pocket. He never runs before he needs to, and is the best in the NFL at finding enough room to step up and deliver in the nick of time. Especially given how shitty our interior pass protection has been this past season, and seasons past.

I also think the arm strength thing is a bit low. Rivers doesn't throw ropes and it is true he doesn't have an Elway or Farve type arm. But a lot of it is he throws passes the way he needs to. Elway and Farve both threw a lot of int that could have been avoided, because they throw hard and flat on every single pass. And there were a lot of tipped passes and throwing right to a LB they didn't see, because the ball wouldn't be high enough to get over the head of the D. But Rivers throws every pass with the right amount of loft. And when he needs to, he can dig down and put some zip on the ball.

As far as athleticism goes, I think Rivers is pretty good. He's just slow. He gets a 1 or 2 for speed, and if that is what they are knocking him for, then he deserves to be knocked. But in terms of playing QB, he moves around in the pocket pretty good, and he has developed good mechanics over the years, and is pretty fluid in his drops and when he steps up.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Command or use of the pocket might be a better term. But that is what football people call it, so that is the word, like it or not. Words and phrases have lots of definitions and football people can use their phrases as they see fit. As a scientist it always pisses me off how many people think the dictionary definition of words applies to things in science, but even though it doesn't, people still try.

Rivers knows how to hang in and get every last instance out of being in the pocket. He never runs before he needs to, and is the best in the NFL at finding enough room to step up and deliver in the nick of time. Especially given how shitty our interior pass protection has been this past season, and seasons past.

I also think the arm strength thing is a bit low. Rivers doesn't throw ropes and it is true he doesn't have an Elway or Farve type arm. But a lot of it is he throws passes the way he needs to. Elway and Farve both threw a lot of int that could have been avoided, because they throw hard and flat on every single pass. And there were a lot of tipped passes and throwing right to a LB they didn't see, because the ball wouldn't be high enough to get over the head of the D. But Rivers throws every pass with the right amount of loft. And when he needs to, he can dig down and put some zip on the ball.

As far as athleticism goes, I think Rivers is pretty good. He's just slow. He gets a 1 or 2 for speed, and if that is what they are knocking him for, then he deserves to be knocked. But in terms of playing QB, he moves around in the pocket pretty good, and he has developed good mechanics over the years, and is pretty fluid in his drops and when he steps up.
        I didn't know you were a scientist. You should use scientific words in all your posts from now on.

Football people use words like "presence" because they don't know how to transmit their thoughts into words. When you give people communications jobs simply because they know how to tackle, things are going to come out sub-par.

To be fair, "presence" gets used a lot in my profession as well. But that's because most of the people who write the books on my profession are just as unqualified to communicate as ex football players are. In my job, it's important to present a sense of presence.

Rivers is a terrific QB. I hope we don't get him injured again this year. Healthy Rivers with at least a mediocre O'line is capable of making us a Super Bowl contender. Injured Rivers is not so terrific.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Ghost hunters use the term presence too just ask SuperCharger!
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
            I didn't know you were a scientist. You should use scientific words in all your posts from now on.

Football people use words like "presence" because they don't know how to transmit their thoughts into words. When you give people communications jobs simply because they know how to tackle, things are going to come out sub-par.

To be fair, "presence" gets used a lot in my profession as well. But that's because most of the people who write the books on my profession are just as unqualified to communicate as ex football players are. In my job, it's important to present a sense of presence.

Rivers is a terrific QB. I hope we don't get him injured again this year. Healthy Rivers with at least a mediocre O'line is capable of making us a Super Bowl contender. Injured Rivers is not so terrific.
            When Steve says "it's not rocket science"..... He means it
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Highboltage
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Presence is a Led Zeppelin album.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Presence is what I want for Christmas!
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  Presence is what I want for Christmas!
                  Stinky Hitchcock presents.

Young Stinky awakes one Christmas morning to find Raiders fans under his tree. An ape and Darth Vader warn Stinky he will be visited by ghost-like visions of the Spanos family. The Spanoses will be snorting fine coke on a tit-filled yacht and joking about how to eff over fans and taxpayers some more. Fortunately, Stinky awakes to find he's in a shower at the Bates Motel, a much more pleasant scenario.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Ghost of Festivus future?
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                    X