• Charged up
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Verrett Article. Impressive.

Carson Palmer on Jason Verrett: He is going to be special

Jeremy Warnemuende - Jul 24, 5:50 PM

San Diego Newsletter

After a rookie season that was cut short by a torn labrum, Chargers corner Jason Verrett has been earning the praise of his peers this offseason.

And that group is not limited to his teammates in San Diego.

For most of the summer following organized team activities, Verrett has been training at Prolific Athletes in Carlsbad, a performance facility less than an hour north of San Diego. Other players working out at the facility include Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson and Arizona signal callers Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton, and Verrett has left all of them -- plus speed coach and Prolific Athletes owner Ryan Flaherty -- with a lasting impression.

"Once he reacts to something and changes direction to the ball, the time it takes to get him out of his break and to the ball is faster than any DB I have, by a lot, and I have a couple Pro Bowlers in the group," Flaherty said of Verrett to The San Diego Union-Tribune's Michael Gehlken. "I have a bunch of quarterbacks here. All of them, I'm not joking, at one point this offseason have come up to me and said, 'That guy is special.'

"Carson came up to me the other day and is like, 'That guy is going to be something special.' You can just see it. There is something about it. He works hard. He wants to be the best."

The Chargers took Verrett with the 25th overall pick in 2014, and he missed all of OTAs and some of training camp with a torn labrum. He was ready for Week 1 and earned his first start in Week 2. However, Verrett ended up playing just six games, notching an interception and four passes defended. Even in that limited time, he left his mark and left coaches and teammates excited for the future.

Verrett has now enjoyed a healthy offseason. If he can keep it that way headed into the actual season, 2015 should be a breakout year for the TCU product who enters the year as the clear starter opposite Brandon Flowers.

:salma:
    Last edited by Charged up; 07-27-2015, 09:14 PM.
  • Lightningwill_420

The San Diego Chargers' path to success is irreverrettable. Super Bowl championship or bust.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Verrett needs to be less physical. He's gotta stay on the field in pass defense where he can take half the field out of play.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        Verrett needs to be less physical. He's gotta stay on the field in pass defense where he can take half the field out of play.
        I disagree. I don't need or want a guy that won't tackle. His injury was a hold over from college, and the team was aware of it before they drafted him. Play the way the game is meant to be played....let the chips fall where they may. Playing not to get injured dulls the instincts and would negatively impact his all around game IMO.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
          I disagree. I don't need or want a guy that won't tackle. His injury was a hold over from college, and the team was aware of it before they drafted him. Play the way the game is meant to be played....let the chips fall where they may. Playing not to get injured dulls the instincts and would negatively impact his all around game IMO.
          LaDainian Tomlinson played not to get injured the majority of his career. Same with Leslie O'Neal. I'd much rather have their careers than, let's say, Malcom Floyd or Bob Sanders, who played balls-to-the-wall all the time.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
            LaDainian Tomlinson played not to get injured the majority of his career. Same with Leslie O'Neal. I'd much rather have their careers than, let's say, Malcom Floyd or Bob Sanders, who played balls-to-the-wall all the time.
            What 'evidence' do you have to support that claim? Just because he wasn't injured very often = he played not to get injured? WTF?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              What 'evidence' do you have to support that claim? Just because he wasn't injured very often = he played not to get injured? WTF?
              I believe he is referring to how LT would run out of bounds rather than hit the defenders when on the edge of the field.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                Going out of bounds instead of gaining an extra 2 yards is a lot different from not making a tackle to save your body...that's Cromartie like.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Do you want more tackles for a few yards less or more games played with more passes defensed and less passes thrown to his side of the field?
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Do you want more tackles for a few yards less or more games played with more passes defensed and less passes thrown to his side of the field?
                    I prefer him to be the all around very good CB that we drafted him to be. If he ends up a china doll, go get someone else. You don't think teams would see that on tape and exploit the hell out of it? This is the NFL not the flag football league....regardless of how much they change the rules.
                    Last edited by Panamamike; 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Back when we had LT and O'Neal, I wanted he Bolts to run at the corners and have O'Neal obliterate them. Just take the corners out of the game. Did it ever happen? No.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Back when we had LT and O'Neal, I wanted he Bolts to run at the corners and have O'Neal obliterate them. Just take the corners out of the game. Did it ever happen? No.
                        Leslie O'Neal obliterate CBs? Do you mean Lorenzo Neal?

Comment

Working...
                        X