Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

O.T. RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper

I know there is an End Zone forum for this but for me he was iconic....The American Dream and now Rowdy "RODDY" Piper

Good times, good times
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny
  • Lightningwill_420

Sorry about Roddy. I haven't watched wrestling since I grew armpit hair, but he was one of my favorite. I liked the bad guys - Rowdy Roddy, the Nature Boy, Iron Sheik, Nicolai Volkov, Macho Man. Hopefully most of them are still alive.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
      Sorry about Roddy. I haven't watched wrestling since I grew armpit hair, but he was one of my favorite. I liked the bad guys - Rowdy Roddy, the Nature Boy, Iron Sheik, Nicolai Volkov, Macho Man. Hopefully most of them are still alive.
      I was watching Florida / Georgia Championship Wrestling when Roddy flipped from bad guy to good guy.......it was epic, no other wrestler was loved as much.....I was lucky to have seen guys like him and Dusty, Flair, The Funks, Dick Murdoch and Butch Reed in the early 80's live at the Eddie Graham Arena in Florida

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        I was watching Florida / Georgia Championship Wrestling when Roddy flipped from bad guy to good guy.......it was epic, no other wrestler was loved as much.....I was lucky to have seen guys like him and Dusty, Flair, The Funks, Dick Murdoch and Butch Reed in the early 80's live at the Eddie Graham Arena in Florida
        I first saw the Hot Rod when he was a skinny punk wrestling out of the LA NWA promotion. They used to televise on Channels 5 and 13 but they produced a weekly show for XETV 6 and held monthly shows at the old Coliseum in the downtown San Diego area of of 15th & E (it's now a Jerome's Furniture warehouse).

I would attend downtown with my friends. On one occasion Piper nearly caused a riot when he beat Andre the Giant in a battle royal. Andre chased Roddy up and down the aisles, through the crowds, and through the concession area, even plowing a poor guy right into a tall concrete wall (the guy pulled out a pocketknife to go after Roddy but his wife managed to stop him). Andre didn't catch Piper, so of course the main event the next month was Andre vs. Piper and it was filled to the rafters there.

I met him at Comic Con a few years ago. He was a very kind, humble man and he was great with my kids. RIP to a legend, truly an icon of my childhood.
        Last edited by 6025; 07-31-2015, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

So I've often wondered - that park at the turnoff from the 8 heading toward Sunset Cliffs Blvd., the one next to Dog Beach, is that named after Dusty Rhodes, the wrestler? Probably not. But that's who I think of every time I pass the park on the way to Ocean Beach.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

So I've often wondered - that park at the turnoff from the 8 heading toward Sunset Cliffs Blvd., the one next to Dog Beach, is that named after Dusty Rhodes, the wrestler? Probably not. But that's who I think of every time I pass the park on the way to Ocean Beach.
            I don't think so though I think the same thing.

Some people love this little park, and some do not. It is right across the road from Robb Field in Ocean Beach. (Few people know that Robb ...

BTW, Dusty died last month. Macho Man Randy Savage died a few years ago. The Sheik is one of the most popular guys on Twitter now, but he is confined to a wheelchair.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Yeah not the same person.....I do get a chuckle every time I drive by it......

Check this out, Dusty vs, Ernie Ladd

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

This should be the Chargers motto for this season

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  I don't think so though I think the same thing.

Some people love this little park, and some do not. It is right across the road from Robb Field in Ocean Beach. (Few people know that Robb ...

BTW, Dusty died last month. Macho Man Randy Savage died a few years ago. The Sheik is one of the most popular guys on Twitter now, but he is confined to a wheelchair.
                  Somebody should do a documentary film on the dude Dusty Rhodes Park is named after - ala Searching for Sugarman or this cool documentary I recently saw about General Tso's chicken. I hope the Dusty Rhodes Park dude is still alive.

Bummer about the Macho Man. Glad the Sheik is popular. He was a great bad guy - right up there with Arnold as the Terminator. I think the only characters I worshiped more as a kid were Darth Vader and Woody Lowe.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Yeah not the same person.....I do get a chuckle every time I drive by it.....
                    Check this out, Dusty vs, Ernie Ladd

http://youtu.be/uT--sjBRIXA
                    I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I clicked to the end to make sure the San Diego Charger won.

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Somebody should do a documentary film on the dude Dusty Rhodes Park is named after - ala Searching for Sugarman or this cool documentary I recently saw about General Tso's chicken. I hope the Dusty Rhodes Park dude is still alive.

Bummer about the Macho Man. Glad the Sheik is popular. He was a great bad guy - right up there with Arnold as the Terminator. I think the only characters I worshiped more as a kid were Darth Vader and Woody Lowe.
                      It was a genius move going from the Iron Sheik to the IRAN Sheik

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

rowdy roddy.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X