Clear All
  • Little_Charger
    Ex-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Chula Vista, CA
    • CO
    • Send PM

OT: HDTV Antenna/No Cable

Hey guys, i just moved to north bonita and decided not to get cable. I bought an antenna and get plenty of channels except CBS and ABC. Is there an antenna out there that can get those channels from my location or am i going to have to suck it up and get cable? THANKS!
    Mission: Valley.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Those two channels are in the old VHF band so they are not easy to get with most little indoor antennas and they are weak as hell. There's another channel up on Mt. Soledad too but its also hard to get if you are in a valley. You might have to get an old fashioned directional outdoor antenna with some height. My antennas are in my attic, one pointing south to get the Mt. Miguel and TJ channels, and one northwest to get CBS but I can't get ABC anymore. (Cheap ass TV stations, cutting power because most people are on Cable) I know that Frys has a small motorized antenna that might do the trick, that has a rotor control.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Type in your address and you'll be able to see the signal strength of all the local stations and some from LA and Mexico too. Then click on the station name in the results and it will show you where the signal is coming from. Yeah, as long as you're not in a big valley, I think most outdoor HDTV antennas should work fine. The one I bought was a Terk back in '08 that was around a hundred bucks and it's working fine to this day.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Just moved back to town this week. Am having DirecTV come out today to get me hooked up. Are there any issues with watching the games locally through DTV? Someone mentioned an issue with CBS and the DTV contract.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          Just moved back to town this week. Am having DirecTV come out today to get me hooked up. Are there any issues with watching the games locally through DTV? Someone mentioned an issue with CBS and the DTV contract.
          Unless it's something new I have never had a problem in 15 years with DTV and Chargers broadcasts...
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Little_Charger
            Ex-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Chula Vista, CA
            • CO
            • Send PM

Being that I live in an apartment complex unable to put an antenna on the roof, I broke down and got basic cable with HD capabities through cox... At 24 a month... I at least have the peace of mind I'll be able to watch games... Thanks for your help!
            Mission: Valley.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Just me, but if all you want are the games, they are streamed on the internet, you can get that box that speedaddy and Blazing Bolt sell, or learn about Kodi and do this by yourself.

Comment

• Faded blues
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2013
                • Send PM

Does kodi support xmbc software?

And do u need a box for each tv?

Comment

• Highboltage
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I've seen a lot of commercials about it over the last few days!

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                    Does kodi support xmbc software?

And do u need a box for each tv?
                    Kodi is the renamed xbmc. If you want to stream simultaneously you'll need a box/computer for each.

Comment

With NFL Sunday Ticket, the only time the game isn't on Sunday Ticket is when that game is being broadcast locally already on CBS or Fox (which would also be available via DTV). If they've truly done away with the blackouts, then you
                      shouldn't miss a game.

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Little_Charger View Post
                        Hey guys, i just moved to north bonita and decided not to get cable. I bought an antenna and get plenty of channels except CBS and ABC. Is there an antenna out there that can get those channels from my location or am i going to have to suck it up and get cable? THANKS!
                        See if any of these can help.

Best I can do you right now....should be good enough.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X