• Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Power Rankings

Rick Gosselin's power rankings: See where Cowboys rank among NFL elite

Rick Gosselin Follow @RickGosselinDMN

Columnist
    Published: 07 August 2015 02:08 PM
    Updated: 07 August 2015 10:17 PM

1. Green Bay: The best quarterback in the NFL gives the Packers the edge in becoming the best team in the NFL.

2. Seattle: If the Seahawks get back to the Super Bowl next February, look for them to run the ball on the goal line.

3. Indianapolis: QB Andrew Luck is going to break through one of these years and when he does, he’s going to ride that wave of success into the distant future.

4. Baltimore: Coach John Harbaugh thinks his quarterback Joe Flacco has Hall of Fame talent. But he’ll need another ring or two to see Canton.

5. New England: Playing the first four games of the season without Tom Brady certainly heightens the challenge of winning back-to-back Lombardi Trophies.

6. Denver: What’s left in Peyton Manning’s tank? The Broncos need to go the Cowboys route -- become a running team and ease the pressure on the QB to make all the plays.

7. Detroit: Pro Bowl DT Haloti Ngata says he’s never been around a defense like the one that now features him in Detroit. Considering he won a Super Bowl with Baltimore, that’s quite a statement.

8. Dallas: A team that was a pass rush away from the Super Bowl a year ago suddenly has a pass rush with the additions of DEs Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory.

9. Pittsburgh: No team has a stronger defensive tradition than the Steelers. But the two recent faces of that defense _ coordinator Dick LeBeau and safety Troy Polamalu -- are gone.

10. San Diego: The absence of Pro Bowl TE Antonio Gates for four games at the start of the season could be costly with playoff contenders Detroit (#7), Cincinnati (#13) and Minnesota (#15) on tap in September.

11. Arizona: QB Carson Palmer is back, hopefully for a full season, and keep an eye on third-round draft pick David Johnson of Northern Iowa. He could be Arizona’s answer at running back.

12. St. Louis: Also keep an eye on the Rams. Jeff Fisher has built a pass rush with first-round draft picks and now has another first-rounder (Todd Gurley) to run the football. This is a potential breakout team in 2015.

13. Cincinnati: Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason walk on sacred ground in Cincinnati because they each took the Bengals to the Super Bowl. So Andy Dalton knows what he needs to do to gain the town’s respect.

14. Houston: A healthy Jadeveon Clowney, the arrival of Vince Wilfork in free agency and the presence of J.J. Watt would give the Texans as formidable a defensive front as there is in the NFL.

15. Minnesota: Adrian Peterson is back and so are the Vikings as a playoff contender. Rookies CB Trae Waynes and LB Eric Kendricks make Mike Zimmer’s D younger and better.

16. Miami: If QB Ryan Tannehill is ever going to have a breakthrough season, it’ll be in 2015. He has a new TE (Jordan Cameron) and two new WRs (Kenny Stills and DeVante Parker).

17. Philadelphia: This is no longer the team Chip Kelly inherited from Andy Reid – not with the offseason departures of Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, Evan Mathis and Trent Cole. It’s Chip’s team now.

18. Kansas City: The Chiefs know they can win with RB Jamaal Charles. But can they win with QB Alex Smith?

19. Carolina: The Panthers defend their NFC South crown this season. What’s to defend? Carolina had a losing record (7-8-1) with a mediocre offense and a sub-par defense.

20. New Orleans: The additions of HB C.J. Spiller and C Max Unger and the departures of TE Jimmy Graham and WR Kenny Stills imply the Saints will lean more heavily on the run in 2015.

21. NY Giants: The two lines have taken hits this offseason. Left offensive tackle Will Beatty is gone with a torn pectoral muscle and pass rusher Jason Pierre-Paul is in limbo following his fireworks fiasco.

22. Washington: The arrow will point up or down depending on the arm and legs of QB Robert Griffin III.

23. Atlanta: One defensive-minded head coach (Mike Smith) couldn’t win with QB Matt Ryan. Now it’s another defensive-minded coach’s turn (Dan O’Brien).

24. Buffalo: Rex Ryan left one team with no quarterback for another team with no quarterback.

25. Oakland: New coach Jack Del Rio is changing the culture of the Raiders, releasing nine players in the offseason and allowing four more to walk out the door in free agency.

26. NY Jets: The Jets hired another defensive head coach in Todd Bowles. But defense hasn’t been the problem with the Jets.

27. Chicago: How far can Jay Cutler take a team? He’s the Jeff George of his era.

28. Cleveland: The Browns are waiting on Johnny Manziel. Josh McCown will keep the seat warm in the meantime.

29. Jacksonville: The Jaguars are clearly snake-bitten. Pass rusher Dante Fowler, the third overall pick of the 2015 draft, suffered a season-ending knee injury before Jacksonville even went to training camp.

30. San Francisco: Who are these guys? Head coach Jim Harbaugh, six starters and punter Andy Lee are gone from a team that went to two NFC title games in the last three years.

31. Tennessee: Marcus Mariota posted a 36-5 record as the starting quarterback at Oregon. Life will be different at Tennessee.

32. Tampa Bay: QB Jameis Winston follows in the footsteps of Doug Williams, Vinny Testaverde, Trent Dilfer and Josh Freeman as first-round picks of the Bucs. They were a combined 7-18 as rookie starters.
    And Dallas this Thursday should be fun too.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

San Fran is #30.

Look at their recent draft numbers
    2015 - 10 guys
    2014 - 12 guys
    2013 - 11 guys
    2011 - 10 guys

I thought they were going to be good and deep for a long time. But there doesn't appear to be any correlation between number of draft picks and quality of team.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      San Fran is #30.

2015 - 10 guys
      2014 - 12 guys
      2013 - 11 guys
      2011 - 10 guys

I thought they were going to be good and deep for a long time. But there doesn't appear to be any correlation between number of draft picks and quality of team.
      Detroit, Minnesota, and Cincinnati are on tap in September. I'm hoping for something from Left Coast in October and some Oscar Blues in November. Perhaps we can go big with Kentucky Bourbon ales come December and January. Finish it off with hard liquor in February.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        San Fran is #30.

2015 - 10 guys
        2014 - 12 guys
        2013 - 11 guys
        2011 - 10 guys

I just see Guys up there.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X