Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

RIP Frank Gifford.

Sad day in NY.
    Go Rivers!
  • Lightningwill_420

mnf.jpg

My favorite childhood TV show as a kid has lost its final character.

As Dandy Don would say - turn out the lights; the party's over.

P.S. - I'm just going to pretend OJ is dead.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Their is dead, then their is dead to me...
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Highboltage
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

They've never truly replaced them.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Dandy Don, Howard, and Frank set the standard. Made MNF an icon. I lived so far away from San Diego and the half time highlights were sometimes my only way to see the Chargers (no internet or satellite TV then, youngsters). I still remember that music. And I CIRCLED the calendar when the Chargers were on MNF.
          RIP Frank.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Who was it that use to say, "its not over, till its over."?

I remember as a kid watching mnf with my dad very fondly and herring that in one game my dad let me stay up late to watch. It became my battle cry to stay up and watch the game to the end, just me and my dad. Didn't matter if it was 62 - 3 I would state, its not over till its over!

To witch my dad would reply, " Turn out the lights, the parties over."
            Go Rivers!

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The original MNF with Howard, Frank, and Dandy Don was indeed the best sports show ever. Those three fit together so well, and the halftime highlights was the beginning of the end - all the other networks followed suit and stopped showing the marching band and stuff at the stadium. They even made the Punt, Pass and Kick seem like big time. A lot of credit goes to their director Chet Forte also, he treated it like a TV show rather than a football game, and his innovative direction hooked a lot of casual viewers (mostly women).

Frank was a pretty good play by play guy, always even keeled and the balancing element between Dandy Don and Howard. When they lost Dandy Don the balance was gone.

RIP Frank Gifford.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Frank Gifford was always the straight man on Monday Night Football. Howard Cosell and Dandy Don made football fun, but, without Frank, it wouldn't have been football - it just would have been Monday night.

I was hoping to dig up video of the John Jefferson one-handed catch in the back of the endzone against the Raiders, which I always thought was on Monday night. But it turns out, that wasn't Monday night. My childhood memory is jacked up. Just goes to show my bad cognitive skills have nothing to do with my later love affair with a certain plant.

So, as a non sequitur tribute to Frank Gifford, here's a picture I used to have on my wall as a kid -

jj.jpg

I found this at Glorify the Past. Hooray, Internet, for fact-checking my childhood memories and making them a lot less cool.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  The original MNF with Howard, Frank, and Dandy Don was indeed the best sports show ever. Those three fit together so well, and the halftime highlights was the beginning of the end - all the other networks followed suit and stopped showing the marching band and stuff at the stadium. They even made the Punt, Pass and Kick seem like big time. A lot of credit goes to their director Chet Forte also, he treated it like a TV show rather than a football game, and his innovative direction hooked a lot of casual viewers (mostly women).

Frank was a pretty good play by play guy, always even keeled and the balancing element between Dandy Don and Howard. When they lost Dandy Don the balance was gone.

RIP Frank Gifford.
                  That wasn't the original. I remember Dandy Don, but, I know, before him, was Webster's dad - Mongo. Mr. Papadopoulos was before my time.

And, I think Keith Jackson, the college football "head-knocking" "all dem big boys" "wo-oh-nelly" guy, not the old Eagles/Dolphins tight end, used to be one of the Monday Night announcers too. Way before my time.

By the time I was old enough to pay attention, it was Frank, Howard, and Dandy Don, plus the murderer and sometimes Fran "That's Incredible" Tarkenton. That's when I loved the NFL - not just the Chargers. It didn't take long though for me to figure out professional sports was bullshit and move on to just being a San Diego fan.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Went to my first Monday Night Football game in 1971, I was 14 years old.....I didn't realize it was just the second season ever, in my mind it had been going on for years

It was at the old Memorial Stadium, Rams vs Colts....one day I'll tell that story, it was nuts
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                      That wasn't the original. I remember Dandy Don, but, I know, before him, was Webster's dad - Mongo. Mr. Papadopoulos was before my time.

And, I think Keith Jackson, the college football "head-knocking" "all dem big boys" "wo-oh-nelly" guy, not the old Eagles/Dolphins tight end, used to be one of the Monday Night announcers too. Way before my time.

By the time I was old enough to pay attention, it was Frank, Howard, and Dandy Don, plus the murderer and sometimes Fran "That's Incredible" Tarkenton. That's when I loved the NFL - not just the Chargers. It didn't take long though for me to figure out professional sports was bullshit and move on to just being a San Diego fan.
                      You are correct, but to me they weren't the originals, that first season was before I watched it too.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        Went to my first Monday Night Football game in 1971, I was 14 years old.....I didn't realize it was just the second season ever, in my mind it had been going on for years

It was at the old Memorial Stadium, Rams vs Colts....one day I'll tell that story, it was nuts
                        Was that when Mike Curtis clotheslined that fan that ran on the field?

Comment

Working...
                        X