• Send PM

Whoa. That was intense.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Unbelievable. There has to be a lot of nitrates in there somewhere.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Not necessarily. Reports are toluene and compressed natural gas. Toluene is the 2nd T in TNT.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Fifty six people died in that, according to the BBC. Another 720 were injured, according the same news agency.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2015, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I read somewhere that the explosion was estimated to be 21 tons of TNT, very roughly 1/1000 of that of Hiroshima A-bomb.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

As intense as that was - and I hope those people are all OK - there was actually a cute, comical exchange between that guy and his wife/female friend immediately after the 2nd explosion. She asked him "Are we dangerous ​here?". He sort of chuckled and said "Yeah, we're 'dangerous'"!

Not a laughing matter, of course. My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones; and I pray for a speedy recovery for those who were injured.
              Last edited by QSmokey; 08-14-2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Asela
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  I read somewhere that the explosion was estimated to be 21 tons of TNT, very roughly 1/1000 of that of Hiroshima A-bomb.
                  I heard that there are reports that there has been damage from the concussion blast and the toxic chemical leaks is thought to be about 5 mile radius from the explosion at the shipping port.

I'm just wondering, if whatever they were shipping was so unstable, imagine if it had made it to an America or European port and then exploded. :yikes:

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Asela View Post
                    I heard that there are reports that there has been damage from the concussion blast and the toxic chemical leaks is thought to be about 5 mile radius from the explosion at the shipping port.

I'm just wondering, if whatever they were shipping was so unstable, imagine if it had made it to an America or European port and then exploded. :yikes:
                    Then what? People would have died? How's that different?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Read about "Port Chicago" ... no videos of that, but it probably was worse. Nothing worse than the Bhopal disaster though.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

The reports I have been listening too make it sound like the blast wave has transported some of the toxic's out of the blast, which is not exactly unheard of. Any toxic not released immediately by the blast will almost certainly be leaking out of their containers slowly. Actually, from what I keep reading/seeing about this, it's a damn miracle it isn't a whole lot worse. There is not a lot of separation between residential and commercial areas in China, and it is a city of something like 12 million people. If this hadn't happened at night, literally thousands of people would have been working in and around the facility.

Don't use death toll as a judge for potential seriousness. There were a couple of large industrial explosions in Texas a couple of years ago. Similar blasts in terms of the explosive equivalent. The big difference was that both occurred in rural communities, so that the impacted hundreds of people, rather then occur in the center of a city of millions of people.

Comment

Working...
                        X