Clear All
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Norv vs Whis....

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't see a thread on it yet:

Have you been wondering what will actually change in the San Diego Chargers offense this year? John Gennaro provides the simplest explanation possible.

I know it's Gennaro, & we should take this with a grain of salt because of that fact alone, but I actually DID find the article interesting (& maybe even promising for us, given the comments about the OL's 'importance').
  • Viejo Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Interesting read. Thanks Mav.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Another advantage of a ball control offense, whether by rush or by short pass, is that it gives the defense a chance to rest, while the O marches down the field. Air Coryell and the other schemes that have been derived from it need a solid D to get the other team off the field. I do like the quick strike offenses for excitement, but it allows the other teams to regroup and catch up. Damn frustrating to see a two minute possession time for a third quarter in the playoffs, and seeing the D gassed.

Comment

• Thunder Thighs
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Lots of parallels between Warner and Rivers:

Success in an Air Coryell offense. Then the offense loses its left tackle and best running back. QBs get sacked a lot. Looks like they have happy feet. QB production falls. Some think they are done.

Transition to the Whiz offense. QBs are considered washed up. OL on paper does not look very good. Not many weapons on either team. The Cards had Fitzgerald and Boldin and that was pretty much it, no TE's or RB's of note. The Bolts have only two players who have made the Pro Bowl, Gates and Mathews, that's it.

At the skill positions, the Chargers' situation is arguably worse than the Cards' was. Will someone from the Bolts step up, like Fitzgerald did for the Cards? Could it be Gates or Mathews, or maybe newcomer Keenan Allen?

Whiz resurrects Warner's career and leads the Cards to a SB. Will Whiz resurrect Rivers and lead the Bolts to ... ?

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

agree it is a good read. some conclusions contradict the idea NOrv was a QB Guru who would take Rivers to the next level- sounds like Wiz's Offense takes a smarter QB than NOrv's.

Wish they would have contrasted/compared McCoy's offensive philosphy too, not just NOrv & Wiz.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Thanks for the link! Good stuff!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Further points out the real failing of Norv's Air Coryell.
              You run to throw. Not the damn opposite. Even Martz showed Norv it wouldn't work. Genius.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Norv vs Whis....

Not sure I get it. I mean, when I take a whiz I'm stand up... But when I take a Norv, I'm sitting down...
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  Norv vs Whis....

Not sure I get it. I mean, when I take a whiz I'm stand up... But when I take a Norv, I'm sitting down...
                  Classic! :lol: Repped......

Comment

• Zot
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
                    Classic! :lol: Repped......
                    Seconded!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                      Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't see a thread on it yet:

Have you been wondering what will actually change in the San Diego Chargers offense this year? John Gennaro provides the simplest explanation possible.

I know it's Gennaro, & we should take this with a grain of salt because of that fact alone, but I actually DID find the article interesting (& maybe even promising for us, given the comments about the OL's 'importance').
                      I dont know who Gennaro is but BFTB seems to be a Chargers fans Bleacher Report.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

its why I think norv might have some success in cleveland. he's got a QB who can throw deep, great line, a good running back who can carry the load and a big downfield target in gordon, along with the young speedster benjamin whos probably the fastest player in the NFL

as for whiz...I trust him a hell of a lot more than Norv and I feel like Rivers will have a nice season. As for who will step up like Fitz, I'm looking at VB. Don't let his size/measurements fool you. that guy is a #1.
                        Last edited by Antonio's Gates; 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X