• Show
Clear All
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
    It's a little of both. Woodhead had success with the same line and same D.
    Difference is, Woodhead was in there on obvious passing downs. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Woodhead fan too (& certainly not taking anything away from his effort), but with Gordon mostly only getting in on 1st & 2nd downs last night (mostly in running situations), it seemed to me the defense was able to key on him a little more.

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
      Difference is, Woodhead was in there on obvious passing downs. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Woodhead fan too (& certainly not taking anything away from his effort), but with Gordon mostly only getting in on 1st & 2nd downs last night (mostly in running situations), it seemed to me the defense was able to key on him a little more.
      Woodhead was getting alot 3rd down and then 1st down reps last night. I bet he was in on about as many 1st downs as Gordon.
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

RB by committee works if your primary back can run catch and passblock. If not its kind of predictable what your doing by who is in and down and distance. Like we were last year after RM went down.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          Not entirely factual.
          Fair enough. I'll take "mostly factual." Hope he improves and hopefully most of this is him being a deer in the headlights as a rookie. Hopefully he gets up to "NFL speed" and shows us some ability.
          Prediction:
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .

Comment

• Maverick
            (Coryellian)
            • Jun 2013
            • Point Loma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
            Fair enough. I'll take "mostly factual." Hope he improves and hopefully most of this is him being a deer in the headlights as a rookie. Hopefully he gets up to "NFL speed" and shows us some ability.
            Thanks Kev.....& I'll admit that he still has a lot to prove.

I just happen to be a believer!

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I guess the scrum on the pile after the Rivers sack (and Dunlap's subsequent penalty) is causing a ruckus.

Seahawks defensive lineman Frank Clark angered multiple offensive linemen on the Chargers, who accused the rookie of trying to attack San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers while under a pile during Saturday's preseason game.

Chargers left tackle King Dunlap was flagged for a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty after yanking Clark from the scrum.

Dunlap told the San Diego Union-Tribune that he did not see the incident but said he wanted to protect Rivers after hearing his teammates yelling at Clark.

"That guy was on top of Philip, and that's our quarterback," Dunlap told the newspaper. "I protect the quarterback at all costs."

The Seahawks drafted Frank Clark in the second round after the defensive lineman reached a plea agreement with prosecutors in a domestic violence case. AP Photo/John Froschauer
              Rivers was sacked on the play by Seattle's Jordan Hill, but Clark's alleged antics after the play drew far more attention from the Chargers.

"That's our quarterback," Chargers guard D.J. Fluker told the Union-Tribune. "We're going to protect the jewel of our offense."

Clark and the Seahawks did not comment on the incident after the game.

Rivers left the game later in the second quarter after banging his throwing hand on a follow through. The five-time Pro Bowler said X-rays on his hand were negative and claimed he would have remained in the game had it been a regular-season contest.

The Seahawks were criticized this past offseason for using a second-round draft pick on Clark, who faced misdemeanor domestic violence and assault charges stemming from an incident involving his former girlfriend.

Clark, who was dismissed from Michigan's football team last November, was convicted of a disorderly conduct charge in April after pleading no contest in an agreement with prosecutors. The domestic violence count was downgraded to disorderly conduct, while the assault charge was dismissed.

General manager John Schneider has defended the Seahawks' selection of Clark, claiming that the team did its due diligence before drafting him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                YES I DID. (also used the words "so far") We could have had any 6th round rookie RB get the level of production we've seen out of Gordon so far. Dude has not made anybody miss, and he hasn't broken any tackles.
                Ill say again, after two preseason games did you really use the word "bust" about Gordon? Lets not forget that Jesse Chatman was a stud for us in the preseason every year and he was terrible in the regular season. Nobody rushed well yesterday but it does seem that Gordon isnt going to be great right away. Some adapt slower to the NFL than others and he will need to fix the hesitation but to call him a bust is ridiculous whether or not you said "so far". You could say our OL is going to suck as well but we were missing Franklin and who knows if Fluker is going to play RG or not when the bell rings where he has little experience. Those are factors as well.

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Ill say again, after two preseason games did you really use the word "bust" about Gordon? Lets not forget that Jesse Chatman was a stud for us in the preseason every year and he was terrible in the regular season. Nobody rushed well yesterday but it does seem that Gordon isnt going to be great right away. Some adapt slower to the NFL than others and he will need to fix the hesitation but to call him a bust is ridiculous whether or not you said "so far". You could say our OL is going to suck as well but we were missing Franklin and who knows if Fluker is going to play RG or not when the bell rings where he has little experience. Those are factors as well.
                  I see no quickness in his step, and no strength in his running. Dude is fast, so if he gets holes like he did in Wisconsin, he'll be able to break them for TDs.
                  Prediction:

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Play of the game: At the end of the third quarter, running back Branden Oliver took a short pass from Kellen Clemens and shook loose for a 70-yard touchdown. The second-year pro out of Buffalo has looked even more explosive and confident running the football than his rookie season.
                    There's our #1 RB to start the season.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Chargers' Javontee Herndon flashes versatility vs. Seahawks
                      14h
                      Eric D. Williams

SAN DIEGO -- Here are some highs and lows in terms of individual performances from the San Diego Chargers’ 16-15 loss to the Seattle Seahawks:

HIGHS

Kyle Emanuel: The fifth-round selection out of North Dakota State corralled his second sack of the preseason in the first quarter against the elusive Russell Wilson. Emanuel has shown he can be a solid rotational player at outside linebacker with the starters on defense.

Javontee Herndon: The second-year pro out of Arkansas has made the most of his opportunities during exhibition play, helping his chances to earn a spot on the back end of San Diego’s roster. Herndon sprinted 42 yards on a reverse in the second half. Herndon also finished with two punt returns for 24 yards.

Chargers defensive back Jimmy Wilson tries to bring down Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson on Saturday. Denis Poroy/AP
                      Jimmy Wilson: In the battle for the strong safety job, Wilson put together a solid performance, leading the Chargers with five combined tackles, including a tackle for a loss.

LOWS

Offensive line: The Chargers again struggled to run the football effectively, with the first-unit offensive line getting little push up front. The first-unit offense averaged just 2.6 yards per carry in the first half. Philip Rivers was sacked twice and hit a total of four times.

Melvin Gordon: San Diego’s first-round selection in this year’s draft ran hard, but found little room to run. The rookie out of Wisconsin finished with 34 yards on 14 carries.

Jacoby Jones: The veteran returner has failed to show the trademark elusiveness that has made him one of the best returners in the game. Jones finished with two punt returns for 14 yards and one kick return for 17 yards.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

The Seattle Seahawks offense hasn't clicked through three preseason games.

While coach Pete Carroll isn't pleased with his struggling first-string unit, he assured fretting fans that the sky is not falling after Saturday's 16-15 victory over the San Diego Chargers.
                        Funny, they won and they know they got beat. Except for the O line, I'm pretty happy with last night's performance.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                          Funny, they won and they know they got beat. Except for the O line, I'm pretty happy with last night's performance.
                          Me too
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X