Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

63 Chargers Love

Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Just curious as to why Tobin Rote isn't mentioned more (at all)? Rote was the main QB in '63, right? With Hadl coming in from time to time in spot duty?

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Check out the 1963 San Diego Chargers Roster, Stats, Schedule, Team Draftees, Injury Reports and more on Pro-Football-Reference.com.

I always wonder about Tobin Rote. Only Charger QB to win a championship.
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

The starting LT for those early teams was Big Ernie Wright. I was lucky enough to get to know him, as I am a close friend of his son Howard.
        Also on that team was Earl Faison. He ended up coaching a Jr. High basketball team( somewhere in La Jolla I believe) we played in the 9th grade. He got so pissed off during the game, he up ended the scorers table! From the vantage point of a 14 year old, it was awesome!
        Great characters.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          Just curious as to why Tobin Rote isn't mentioned more (at all)? Rote was the main QB in '63, right? With Hadl coming in from time to time in spot duty?
          Yes, after losing Kemp they acquired Rote to start. Hadl wouldn't get his chance to start until 1964. Rote ended up on the cover of SI.

image.jpg

Comment

• Wheels
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
            The starting LT for those early teams was Big Ernie Wright. I was lucky enough to get to know him, as I am a close friend of his son Howard.
            Also on that team was Earl Faison. He ended up coaching a Jr. High basketball team( somewhere in La Jolla I believe) we played in the 9th grade. He got so pissed off during the game, he up ended the scorers table! From the vantage point of a 14 year old, it was awesome!
            Great characters.
            I mentioned this in another thread. Faison was my PE coach at Muirlands Junior High, around '89. He was cool, but nobody, and I mean nobody, dared act up around him.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              Yes, after losing Kemp they acquired Rote to start. Hadl wouldn't get his chance to start until 1964. Rote ended up on the cover of SI.

[ATTACH]753[/ATTACH]

Has anyone here seen that '63 AFL Championship game? I think Geezbolt has.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                Yes, I was at the game in Balboa Stadium. I was 13. A great memory from my youth.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by alex View Post
                  It's on Youtube in parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X