FS - Eric Weddle, Darrell Stuckey
    SPECIAL TEAMS

P - Mike Scifres
    K - Josh Lambo
    H - Mike Scifres, Eric Weddle
    LS - Mike Windt, Kyle Miller
    PR - Jacoby Jones, Keenan Allen
    KR - Jacoby Jones, Branden Oliver, Danny Woodhead

The ones in bold I think should change or will change in the near future and they are all defense and one special teams note

Keyes I think if this guy doesn't produce after 3 weeks he is benched and we move Darius Philon into the starter role.
    Stevie Williams backing up Flowers, If Flowers is out for any type of injury Stevie Williams is the last guy I want to see on the field, Mager seems to be a better player even as a rookie and he has size.

Robinson is going to be a good nickel corner, but if Flowers goes down to injury I would insert him, and Mager as the nickel, but no way do I want to see Stevie Williams, I believe if Chris Davis didn't suffer the concussion he would of made the team.

I don't want Keenan Allen returning punts period, if Jacoby would go down at any point in the year hopefully we would have the luxury of bringing up Herndon from pratice squad if he doesn't get poached.
    If Jacoby is injured in game, this is where we would of been better off if we had Chris Davis CB\ST.
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I don't see Robinson as a nickle CB, more a passing downs guy (dime or subbing in for the nickle DB). I would also think he is the 1st CB guy in rather than Williams, regardless of who gets hurt. He is a lot better outside then in, even if he lacks the prototype size of a guy like Sherman. I see Jimmy Wilson as the nickle player, which is why he was brought in. He was allowed to compete at S as a formality, but he is really only suited to be a hybrid CB/S, and that is what he will do.

Since NT just part time position, not sure why anyone cares who is the starter. Carrethers and Lissemore will both play, but both will get more snaps at DT in the pass rush line with the DE. They will probably split time at NT in the base D, but we hardly ever use that, so again, who cares.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Did Stevie Johnson take the #2 passing roll from Flyod? Will Floyd be playing ng from the slot or outside?
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
        Did Stevie Johnson take the #2 passing roll from Flyod? Will Floyd be playing ng from the slot or outside?
        It seems to me, and Steve can correct me if I'm off base, that Floyd and Jones are stretch the field type WRs and we dont do that as much as use the possesion and slot guys in shorter routes. Therefore the #3 WR designation in our O. Our #1 Allen is a midrange posession WR who can draw doubles and Stevie will be the slot at #2 and both will run more slants than deep routes.
        #hoarselikedisabilities
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

If Jones and Floyd run more vertical routes, then it will give Johnson and Allen more room to work underneath. Both Allen and Johnson can run a variety of routes, so they can hit the whole field, and make it tough on defenses. They have to defend the whole thing. That was why Royal got so many TD, he was able to do a lot more vertical and seam stuff that other slot guys don't do. Now Johnson is probably better at that then Royal was.

The key to the passing game for us is all about giving Rivers time. The crossing routes we love are not quick passing. They are short patterns, but they take time to develop. We don't run the deep patterns that Norv loved, but it is not like our passing game is all about just throwing on 3 steps. We need to mix in short, medium and long passing, and run the ball well enough to not only give Rivers makeable down and distances, but keep the pass rushers on the field and defending the run, so that when we want to throw, the D can't be sure it is a pass, and even if they are, their legs are rubber from playing too many downs with huge OL push them around running.

Even if Johnson is on the field more, and is the #2 WR in terms of playing time, we would still play Floyd outside most of the time. When Floyd broke into the lineup, he played outside at the split end position, with VJ at Flanker and Chambers moving into the slot, even though Chambers was the regular split end in 2 TE and 2 RB formations. You can do it any way you want, even though most teams bring in the extra WR to play the inside. That is usually because traditionally teams can't find enough regular WR so they have to put some guy that is more quick then fast, and you can use them better inside then out. But everyone mixes it up to some degree, and I think that is why we signed Johnson. He is a true #2 WR, so regardless of his role, teams have to defend him like that, or Rivers will go to him all day, or at least until they make him go somewhere else.

The reason, besides pass protection that Rivers has struggled with int the last few years is more about the options he had. Before last year, we never had more than 2 decent targets for Rivers. If defenses rush 4 (the normal number), that leaves 7 guys in coverage for the 5 receivers, and 2 of them can be double covered before you run out of coverage guys. If you want to double Woodhead, Allen and Johnson, then you either only rush 3, don't cover someone else or just live with not double covering one of them. whatever they choose, we should be good.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

I'm just happy they don't show Porkchops as a starter
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Highboltage
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              I'm just happy they don't show Porkchops as a starter
              How long is he out? he's the only backup at both guard spots.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Steve you are the man!
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If Jones and Floyd run more vertical routes, then it will give Johnson and Allen more room to work underneath. Both Allen and Johnson can run a variety of routes, so they can hit the whole field, and make it tough on defenses. They have to defend the whole thing. That was why Royal got so many TD, he was able to do a lot more vertical and seam stuff that other slot guys don't do. Now Johnson is probably better at that then Royal was.

The key to the passing game for us is all about giving Rivers time. The crossing routes we love are not quick passing. They are short patterns, but they take time to develop. We don't run the deep patterns that Norv loved, but it is not like our passing game is all about just throwing on 3 steps. We need to mix in short, medium and long passing, and run the ball well enough to not only give Rivers makeable down and distances, but keep the pass rushers on the field and defending the run, so that when we want to throw, the D can't be sure it is a pass, and even if they are, their legs are rubber from playing too many downs with huge OL push them around running.

Even if Johnson is on the field more, and is the #2 WR in terms of playing time, we would still play Floyd outside most of the time. When Floyd broke into the lineup, he played outside at the split end position, with VJ at Flanker and Chambers moving into the slot, even though Chambers was the regular split end in 2 TE and 2 RB formations. You can do it any way you want, even though most teams bring in the extra WR to play the inside. That is usually because traditionally teams can't find enough regular WR so they have to put some guy that is more quick then fast, and you can use them better inside then out. But everyone mixes it up to some degree, and I think that is why we signed Johnson. He is a true #2 WR, so regardless of his role, teams have to defend him like that, or Rivers will go to him all day, or at least until they make him go somewhere else.

The reason, besides pass protection that Rivers has struggled with int the last few years is more about the options he had. Before last year, we never had more than 2 decent targets for Rivers. If defenses rush 4 (the normal number), that leaves 7 guys in coverage for the 5 receivers, and 2 of them can be double covered before you run out of coverage guys. If you want to double Woodhead, Allen and Johnson, then you either only rush 3, don't cover someone else or just live with not double covering one of them. whatever they choose, we should be good.
                  So, if everything goes perfectly, Reich's plan will work.

Comment

Working...
                  X