First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree, but this place thinks only TT misses on picks.

55% of first round picks are busts!

I don't mind Telescopes drafting, it's his no trades and not being good at getting extra picks I don't like.

I'm not one of those to sign every player that gets cut like some on here but I do think there's one or two that can help us when we are depleted at WR.

Make a trade for a low pick or something.
    All I do is look at his record
    three head coaches
    three playoffs - all wild card
    zero divisions
    under .500 overall

Its not about picking a bad pick here or there - its about the entire body of work. And its below average. When they fired Lynn, that was the right time to fire Telesco

That said - he has a draft coming up and I hope he hits it out of the park and does such a good job this year - he gets extended after the 2023 season. I hope he builds a roster that wins the AFCW. I want the guy to succeed

Leave a comment:

• SuperCharged
    replied
    Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The FA signings were Staley's, he's the one who is hands-on with them. But Telesco does back his goals and vision for the team and roster.
    Actually no. Staley is the HC not the GM. TT and Staley collaborated no doubt. But the negotiation and transaction ultimately is up to the GM not the HC.

HC has coaching personnel under him. They will help him with game planning roster depth chart. Player evaluations. etc etc

GM has business people helping him with Cap and Cap forecasting. Scouts for FA and Drafting.

Again the final decision comes down to TT not Staley.
    Last edited by SuperCharged; 01-21-2023, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lefty2SLO
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I don't mind Telescopes drafting, it's his no trades and not being good at getting extra picks I don't like.

I'm not one of those to sign every player that gets cut like some on here but I do think there's one or two that can help us when we are depleted at WR.

IMO Telesco is #3 in the long term crap responsibility matrix;

1. Ownership
    2. Coaching
    3. GM
    4. Players

I think he's done an adequate job, particularly these last 3 years or so, and he did exceptionally as well last offseason in FA; Callahan, Van Noy, Mack, JC. It's too bad Jackson did not work out, but I don't put that on Telesco - we ALL thought it was a great move. I'm OK keeping him on as long as he continues as he has lately.

Gonna be some tough decisions in FA this year though. Staley's 'culture' comments will be put to the test - it will be interesting (and enlightening) to see if our FA's are willing to take team friendly deals. For instance; Bryce Callahan will be in demand after a very good year (and staying mostly healthy) - will he stay with this shit show (with a team friendly contract) or will he move on to a real franchise that has a chance to compete?

I'm not sure BS has thought through the impact of putting himself in the position of being the joke of the NFL. Players do talk to one another.

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The FA signings were Staley's, he's the one who is hands-on with them. But Telesco does back his goals and vision for the team and roster.
    Guaranteed cap was in the discussion when we signed them. Telesco & McGuire did the contracts and will dial in '23. How they'll exercise their options? TBD. Again Staley will be in the conversation. TT, McG, some players and their agents will define what is possible.

Leave a comment:

• ChargersPowderBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

You call out TT but he had the biggest FA offseason in Chargers history. That is the very reason why we are not in a good cap space situation currently.

Leave a comment:

• CivilBolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Topcat View Post

No need for speed when yer OC is dialing up mostly 5-10-yd routes...now that Lombo is gone, let's see if anything changes...
    I feel you. I miss the Steichen version of Herbert.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied

Examples?

TT is more respected by his peers than the Charger fan base why is that? There are still plenty out there that still believe we are one of the most talented rosters. Our O line looked great till the injuries piled up. I will say right now the O line will be one of the best in the league next year.

Chefs got lucky and hit pay dirt with Pacheco. They did not get faster at WR. S.F. Ummm McCaffrey was HUGE. They lucked out with Mr. Irrelevant. They also have Aiyuk and Deebo. I have been begging for speed for since seeing JH's arm. We take speed we would be ultra thin at O line.

Injuries and bad coaching are more of a culprit than TT. TT didn't blow the biggest lead in Charger history. Again listen. BEST OFF SEASON in Charger history. That is not even close to debatable.

Do you give TT credit for finding Ek? He did everything that Staley asked of him this last off season. I think TT's hate is unwarranted. I haven't seen any bone headed moves like other franchises.

Zack Wilson #1 pick?
    Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson?
    Clelin Ferrell #4 overall?
    You mentioned S.F.. How about their pick of Solomon Thomas over T.J Watt?
    Lastly, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold over Josh Allen...

Those are all recent stupid draft decisions.

I just hope we get an OC that can tap into JH's godlike arm and design and offense for it.

I don't mind Telescos drafting, it's his no trades and not being good at getting extra picks I don't like.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-21-2023, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperCharged
    replied
    Originally posted by Charge! View Post

no one says you can but you can do a hell of a lot better than TT does....

Chiefs rebuilt entire OL in ONE off season and added speed at RB, WR, and upgrades on defense......

49ers did similar......

teams with great GM's, coaches and ownership can do amazing things..... bad ones like Chargers do not.....
    Examples?

TT is more respected by his peers than the Charger fan base why is that? There are still plenty out there that still believe we are one of the most talented rosters. Our O line looked great till the injuries piled up. I will say right now the O line will be one of the best in the league next year.

Chefs got lucky and hit pay dirt with Pacheco. They did not get faster at WR. S.F. Ummm McCaffrey was HUGE. They lucked out with Mr. Irrelevant. They also have Aiyuk and Deebo. I have been begging for speed for since seeing JH's arm. We take speed we would be ultra thin at O line.

Injuries and bad coaching are more of a culprit than TT. TT didn't blow the biggest lead in Charger history. Again listen. BEST OFF SEASON in Charger history. That is not even close to debatable.

Do you give TT credit for finding Ek? He did everything that Staley asked of him this last off season. I think TT's hate is unwarranted. I haven't seen any bone headed moves like other franchises.

Zack Wilson #1 pick?
    Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson?
    Clelin Ferrell #4 overall?
    You mentioned S.F.. How about their pick of Solomon Thomas over T.J Watt?
    Lastly, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold over Josh Allen...

Those are all recent stupid draft decisions.

I just hope we get an OC that can tap into JH's godlike arm and design and offense for it.

Leave a comment:

• northerner
    replied
    i'm not sure if this was discussed already here or elsewhere already, but in his latest referee rant Bosa mentioned that he was playing "on one leg" in the jaguars game.

if he was still hurt, why was he out there? a backup would be better than a starter playing "on one leg." weird comment from Bosa - I don't remember this guy losing his composure in prior years.

Leave a comment:

• SAY OW 55
    replied

Here's the flaw with your assessment. YOU CAN'T FIX EVERYTHING in 1 off season.

You call out TT but he had the biggest FA offseason in Chargers history. That is the very reason why we are not in a good cap space situation currently.

JC Jackson. #1 FA on everyone's board. Everyone here raved about the pickup. Huge money for (at the time) arguably the best FA on the market. Was it TT's fault that he completely sucked and eventually injured? Not in my book because as expected we were looking for a shutdown corner.

Khalil Mack. Best FA pickup in a long time. Except he's a defensive player that was sorely needed. Again defense pickup where we were needing edge over offense speed.

Christian Covington. We picked up CC's contract again with a D signing.

Austin Johnson. Another FA addition to the D. Line.

Sebastian Joseph-Day. D Line again addressed.

Do you see what I am getting at? EVERYONE demanded we address the bad defense we had. When going that hard at fixing a soft D you can't afford make a run at offense FA's at the same time it is capually impossible.

If this were the case I would be right along with you. You will see another D heavy draft and FA. You will also see some speed additions through the draft and/or FA.

Then looking at the Draft we drafted Zion which I was fine with. But your logic would have us taking a WR over Zion. Is that still something you would want?

Available WR's at our 18 pick would have been.

Treylon Burks
    Christian Watson
    John Metchie,
    Tyquan Thornton
    George Pickens
    Skyy Moore
    Velus Jones Jr
    Jalen Tolbert,
    Alec Pierce
    etc etc

Do any of these WR's warrant a pick over Zion? Not hindsight.... At the time of the draft we are picking 18 and all the top WR's are gone. I wanted Garrett Wilson so bad I was just hoping he would fall to 18 because of his knee injury,. But nope.

Sorry to go off but I am not going to use hindsight woulda, coulda, shoulda logic here. We did all we could last offseason. I would give TT an A+ on last offseason.

All of your points were spot on. I would definitely take Christian Watson over Zion you could’ve traded back into the first round and got him. But small school you know. Him and Justin Herbert. Watch out. That’s exactly what Herbert would need.

Khalil Mack was one of the best trades. Guy is still in his prime and has had such a positive impact on this team.

Jc Jackson bust. Should’ve had caution you know it’s a red flag when Bellicheck gets rid of guys. Asante Samuel. Is that system. He was getting burned until he got hurt. Hopefully he turns it around.

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied
    Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Seems like every year, teams find guys like Tyrell. But TT seems extremely averse to speed lately. No RB's, WR's or TE's that can flat move!
    We have a QB who has an absolute HOWITZER attached to his right shoulder. Let him use it!
    No need for speed when yer OC is dialing up mostly 5-10-yd routes...now that Lombo is gone, let's see if anything changes...

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied

Here's the flaw with your assessment. YOU CAN'T FIX EVERYTHING in 1 off season.

JC Jackson. #1 FA on everyone's board. Everyone here raved about the pickup. Huge money for (at the time) arguably the best FA on the market. Was it TT's fault that he completely sucked and eventually injured? Not in my book because as expected we were looking for a shutdown corner.

Khalil Mack. Best FA pickup in a long time. Except he's a defensive player that was sorely needed. Again defense pickup where we were needing edge over offense speed.

Christian Covington. We picked up CC's contract again with a D signing.

Austin Johnson. Another FA addition to the D. Line.

Sebastian Joseph-Day. D Line again addressed.

Do you see what I am getting at? EVERYONE demanded we address the bad defense we had. When going that hard at fixing a soft D you can't afford make a run at offense FA's at the same time it is capually impossible.

If this were the case I would be right along with you. You will see another D heavy draft and FA. You will also see some speed additions through the draft and/or FA.

Then looking at the Draft we drafted Zion which I was fine with. But your logic would have us taking a WR over Zion. Is that still something you would want?

Available WR's at our 18 pick would have been.

Treylon Burks
    Christian Watson
    John Metchie,
    Tyquan Thornton
    George Pickens
    Skyy Moore
    Velus Jones Jr
    Jalen Tolbert,
    Alec Pierce
    etc etc

Do any of these WR's warrant a pick over Zion? Not hindsight.... At the time of the draft we are picking 18 and all the top WR's are gone. I wanted Garrett Wilson so bad I was just hoping he would fall to 18 because of his knee injury,. But nope.

Sorry to go off but I am not going to use hindsight woulda, coulda, shoulda logic here. We did all we could last offseason. I would give TT an A+ on last offseason.

Nice...well said...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X