First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I think Reich is a good possiblity if he doesnt land a head coaching job.
    Mike LaFleur would make sense.
    It would be Staley's guy vs Telesco's known entity.
    Jets offense was fine until Breece Hall was injured.
    Noted.

Leave a comment:

• CanadianBoltFan
    replied
    Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    I have always been one to hang in until the bitter end...personal preference.

Now that this wretched season is over and Lombo is gone, it is with great pleasure that I hit the refresh button on my brain.

Reich it is ?
    Coo coo.
    I think Reich is a good possiblity if he doesnt land a head coaching job.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    I have always been one to hang in until the bitter end...personal preference.

Now that this wretched season is over and Lombo is gone, it is with great pleasure that I hit the refresh button on my brain.

Reich it is ?
    Coo coo.

Leave a comment:

• captaind
    replied
    Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Great that we have wasted Herbert's rookie contract before we have 50 million cap space tied up... on a young,inexperinced coach to learn for a few seasons how to be an NFL head coach!
    But he’s learning, CBF. Sure, right now he’s cleaning lettuce. But pretty soon, he’ll be bagging fries. And that’s where the real winning comes in!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Leave a comment:

• CanadianBoltFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Agree...Staley is growing...shows promise. Might need to bring the hammer down on some vets, instead of fluffing them so much...but the coordinator shakup is promising...I think Staley tends to stick to his guns mostly...but is smart enough to learn from mistakes, and possesses the humility to make changes...we will see for sure next season.
    Great that we have wasted Herbert's rookie contract before we have 50 million cap space tied up... on a young,inexperinced coach to learn for a few seasons how to be an NFL head coach!

Leave a comment:

• CanadianBoltFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Zac Taylor.
    Nick Sirianni.
    Brian Daboll.

Three Head Coaches who rose from the rank and file of NFL coaching, who've been in the league for at least 10 seasons, who were hired as first time head coaches after serving as coordinators for successful franchises, who now have their teams in the playoffs. One of them took his team to the SB last season. One of them led their team to the best record in the league this season. One of them took a down and out franchise last season and just one a road playoff game and is a favorite to win Coach of the Year.

You don't need a Sean Payton or a Jim Harbaugh. Find a guy like one these, someone who the Spanoses can afford because they won't command an obnoxious salary. Brandon Staley was elevated too fast. He has not been in the league long enough. He's not well-grounded in the NFL, and the team's inconsistency shows that.

My favorite HC candidate in the mold of Taylor/Sirianni/Daboll is Shane Steichen. Steichen is one of the hottest HC candidates. The Texans, Panthers and Colts have already had him in for interviews (who knows what other teams). The Spanoses know Steichen well. He was the Chargers' QB coach then OC. He was Herbert's first OC.

There are other HC candidates who fit this mold. I know it hasn't worked out for the Chargers to hire first time HC their last three tries. But it's the only route available to the Spanoses, due to their financial limitations. One of these times, they are bound to hit on a HC like Taylor, or Sirianni (also a former Chargers asst) or Daboll.

I don't think I can continue to follow this team if they retain Staley. If I, as a Bolts fan for 40+ years, am ready to move on, think about how the fan base in LA must feel. The Chargers are in danger of being and afterthought in their own city, despite being one of the more talented franchises in the NFL, with one of the best young QBs in the league.

I don't want to see Shane Steichen coach a losing franchise to the playoffs next season while the Chargers continue to founder under Staley.
    That is another thing that Rex Ryan said. Staley was hired way too early. And BTW Rex took an awful Jet franchise to the AFC Final but before he was hired as a HC he had a long track record as one of the best DCs in football, with a top 5 defence 5 years ina row.

Staley had ONE year as a DC, and while it was excellent, after watching our defence for 2 ful years, you have to wonder how much of it was carrer years from unber studs like Donald and Ramsey.

Leave a comment:

• CanadianBoltFan
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    I listened to him on ESPN and really couldnt argue with some of the things he said, "grudge" or not. Staley does seem to think he is smarter than the traditional way of coaching, even if some of those coaches and their methods have Super Bowls and way more success than Staley ever will.

Leave a comment:

• gzubeck
    replied
    Zac Taylor.
    Nick Sirianni.
    Brian Daboll.

Three Head Coaches who rose from the rank and file of NFL coaching, who've been in the league for at least 10 seasons, who were hired as first time head coaches after serving as coordinators for successful franchises, who now have their teams in the playoffs. One of them took his team to the SB last season. One of them led their team to the best record in the league this season. One of them took a down and out franchise last season and just one a road playoff game and is a favorite to win Coach of the Year.

You don't need a Sean Payton or a Jim Harbaugh. Find a guy like one these, someone who the Spanoses can afford because they won't command an obnoxious salary. Brandon Staley was elevated too fast. He has not been in the league long enough. He's not well-grounded in the NFL, and the team's inconsistency shows that.

My favorite HC candidate in the mold of Taylor/Sirianni/Daboll is Shane Steichen. Steichen is one of the hottest HC candidates. The Texans, Panthers and Colts have already had him in for interviews (who knows what other teams). The Spanoses know Steichen well. He was the Chargers' QB coach then OC. He was Herbert's first OC.

There are other HC candidates who fit this mold. I know it hasn't worked out for the Chargers to hire first time HC their last three tries. But it's the only route available to the Spanoses, due to their financial limitations. One of these times, they are bound to hit on a HC like Taylor, or Sirianni (also a former Chargers asst) or Daboll.

I don't think I can continue to follow this team if they retain Staley. If I, as a Bolts fan for 40+ years, am ready to move on, think about how the fan base in LA must feel. The Chargers are in danger of being and afterthought in their own city, despite being one of the more talented franchises in the NFL, with one of the best young QBs in the league.

I don't want to see Shane Steichen coach a losing franchise to the playoffs next season while the Chargers continue to founder under Staley.
    I'm going to go a different route. It's really hard for a rookie head coach to manage basically a rookie OC coach. Look how much better special teams was under a new coach. Night and Day IMHO. I don't think next season is a lost cause if they drastically improve Staley brain trust. Joe was not a rocket scientist.

Leave a comment:

• charger1_sj
    replied
    As predicted the Chargers fired Lombardi and Shane Day. Staley stays. The team was all in this year and went out of their way to make a big
    splash in FA. It didn't work out and now there has to be a roster shake up due to the salary cap situation.

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Being a charger fan for that long myself, I find it hard to move on. I did lose interest when they moved to LA and wasn't deeply invested.

The draft seemed less important to me for a year anyways and my hatred for the Spanos incompetence was greater. So I get it.

I'm not real down on Staley cuz I think he will be a good head coach in the league one day I've come to terms with the fact that the Spanos will not spend the money for a good experienced HC.

Replacing Lombardi will be at good step I suppose.

You do mention the Raiders often so I hope you don't go that route as it won't be any better for you.
    Agree...Staley is growing...shows promise. Might need to bring the hammer down on some vets, instead of fluffing them so much...but the coordinator shakup is promising...I think Staley tends to stick to his guns mostly...but is smart enough to learn from mistakes, and possesses the humility to make changes...we will see for sure next season.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Zac Taylor.
    Nick Sirianni.
    Brian Daboll.

Being a charger fan for that long myself, I find it hard to move on. I did lose interest when they moved to LA and wasn't deeply invested.

The draft seemed less important to me for a year anyways and my hatred for the Spanos incompetence was greater. So I get it.

I'm not real down on Staley cuz I think he will be a good head coach in the league one day I've come to terms with the fact that the Spanos will not spend the money for a good experienced HC.

Replacing Lombardi will be at good step I suppose.

You do mention the Raiders often so I hope you don't go that route as it won't be any better for you.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Zac Taylor.
    Nick Sirianni.
    Brian Daboll.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X